Silenced shotguns

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

germansilencer
Silent Operator

Silenced shotguns

Post by germansilencer »

Any experiences with silenced shotguns in 12 guage?
firearm silencers are a contribute to environmental protection
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

How about .410? I worked for major firearms co. many years ago and someone in r&d was playing with one which I fired and consisted of a steel tube about 2 inches dia. for the full length of the barrel with a few flat baffles.
It wasn't that quiet and would have benefited from some type of packing such as brass wool or screening I believe.
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

I have shot suppressed shotguns in 12ga., 20ga., and .410. Some were quiet, some were not, but all were older technology. I shot a 20ga., that fired custom 4oz. (subsonic) slugs. All of the units that I have fired required disassembly for removing the wads, after firing numerous rounds. It was very quiet and hit like a truck. I believe that suppressing a shotgun could be done effectively, but it will take a lot of R&D.

A large shotgun maker contacted us recently to see if we had suppressed shotguns in the past, and asked if we had any ideas. They asked about 12ga. I will let you know if do any work with them and the results.
germansilencer
Silent Operator

silenced shotguns

Post by germansilencer »

I silenced one of my 410 shotguns a few years ago with a muzzle can. With Eley fourlongs, a very quiet (louder than a 22 silenced but quiter than a good silenced 9 P) an efficient little toy. Silencing of a smallbore gun as 410 is not too difficult.

Also, I silenced 12 gauge Shotguns in the past. But they were not really quiet. So, I am searching for new principles or baffles - perforated tubes, wool/felt packages an flat or cone baffles are not the cutting edge of technology. Also a test according to a US patent for silenced shotgun proved the design to be inferior to old tube and wool technology ...
Tugnut
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tugnut »

I remember seeing somewhere a guy that was building what was called the 'quiet shotgun', which was basically a shotgun with a 5 foot barrel or some such.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

http://www.dillerdesign.com/quietgun/

It is very sad what the laws force us to resort to.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Par ... AND+diller

"said vents being constructed and arranged to minimize report of said firearm following discharge. "

This makes it a feature designed to reduce the report of a firearm. i.e. a silencer.

His patent application says:

"[0003] Federal and State regulations require that gasses vented from the barrel of a firearm following discharge be vented directly into the atmosphere. Silencers which vent gasses from the barrel into a chamber which in turn acts as a muffler are prohibited. Federal law also prohibits barrels of firearms to be less than a specified length to prevent use of the firearm as a concealed weapon. There exists no known Federal or State regulation limiting the maximum length of the barrel of a conventional type of firearm such as a shotgun or a rifle. An elongate gun barrel which includes vents for controller discharge of gasses to reduce report therefore appears to be permissible pursuant to Federal and State law. "

However I wonder if that is correct. The law says:

"The terms ''firearm silencer'' and ''firearm muffler'' mean
any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a
portable firearm"

I also wonder if the holes (the holes are the silencer) help at all. I think it might be quieter without any holes and more legal.

"This concept is being field tested for deer removal by government agencies in Minnesota."
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

[img]http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/ima ... er-kit.jpg

Try the above link showing the Hushpower kit for a Mossberg shotgun, it looks a little muzzle heavy.[/img]
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

germansilencer
Silent Operator

silenced Mossberg

Post by germansilencer »

Cool!
That is the way a shotgun has too look like!
Is this one of the hushpower kits?
I think of importin one of these to germany, but do not know about the performance?

How does this can work? How "Quiet" is it approximately?
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Someone posted this for sale about a year ago. They said it wasn't quiet, at all.
3 weelin geezer
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3 weelin geezer »

Hey!! I know that guy even with those red geordie laforge sunglasses! I'd recognize that hat anywhere.

I would blur the face myself.