Non-Threaded barrel adapter

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Do you think this adapter is a good Value?

Yes, It's Perfect
2%
Yes, I'd pay more if necessary
2%
No, I don't trust the quality
77%
No, I wouldn't pay that much for it
19%

Total votes: 47

Wilder
Elite Member

Post by Wilder »

I'm not going to chance blowing my silencer apart. I think if you have the extra money to buy another, go for it.
Alee Hillbilly
Cortland
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Cortland »

As i understand it, these squirrelly "muzzle couplings" were popular in times past, especially during the Maxim era, but at that time baffle bore diameters were larger to accommodate for it. Modern suppressor bore diameters will generally assume tighter tolerances that might not be reliably achieved with "muzzle couplings."

Or something like that.

i'd just get that bitch threaded.
CarlosDJackal
Silent Operator

Post by CarlosDJackal »

$75 for a coupler that could cause a baffle strike because of variations in the manufacturing of barrels. Not to mention the fact that using this item negates most, if not all warrantees offered by suppressor manufacturers.

OR

$150 (give or take) for a threaded barrel that would not negate any warranty, possibly cost me another $200 for another tax stamp plus the original cost of the suppressor.

So in summary, I can either wait the 12 weeks for a $150 (+/-) threaded barrel or risk another 4 or 5-months to go through the process again plus another $200 plus the cost of the suppressor.

Thisis a no brainer, IMHO. You can loose quite a bit by going cheap with this adaptor. But what is it that you will be loosing if you order a quality pre-threaded barrel? JM2CW.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Besides, there are other options if you really want a front sight. These set-back and threaded take-offs are dirt cheap. Personally if I'm suppressing the 10/22 I wouldn't view the loss of a front sight as an issue, but since you listed it as being important to you I figured I'd let people know there are other ways to go than a coupler.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
GreyHammer
Silent Operator

Post by GreyHammer »

I have used a D.A.Q coupler on my 10/22 and my buddy uses a D.A.Q coupler on his as well. In over three years of use, neither of us has had any problems with baffle strikes. The body of the coupler compresses around the barrel, so the diameter of the barrel (within reason) is irrelevant. :D
mooster1223
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mooster1223 »

Selectedmarksman wrote:Besides, there are other options if you really want a front sight. These set-back and threaded take-offs are dirt cheap. Personally if I'm suppressing the 10/22 I wouldn't view the loss of a front sight as an issue, but since you listed it as being important to you I figured I'd let people know there are other ways to go than a coupler.
Thanks for link. I'm going to do an open site 10/22 and he'll do my barrel for even less.

Jim
It's better to ask forgivness than permission
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

They do good work...are are fairly quick.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."