Got a new weapon and a silencer question

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

man

Got a new weapon and a silencer question

Post by man »

I just bought myself a fine Bushmaster upper, 14.5" HBAR with a perm. attached second gen Phanton flash hider.

Now, this is my first foray into the world of civilian AR-15s, and I'm still picking things up.

What, if any, silencer options do I have with my current build (I'm guessing none :( ) and,

if none, what would it take to modify my rifle to add a decent can?

Thanks for any help.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

You'd have to SBR the rifle unless you have a permenant flash hider mounted onto that barrel - you could either find a can that can mount to that current barrel/hider combo or you can have the hider changed to one that long enough to meet 16+ barrel length and permenatly mounted that can use normal quick attach can. Or you could change the barrel to one that's 16+... If I was doing it I'd first check which can's can mount to existing hider - if none then change to YHM hider or AAC hider if long enough and use the can that matched it.

I'm sure you'll get someone who's familiar with second gen Phanton flash hider soon. :wink:
Last edited by Artful on Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

You could replace the barrel with a 16 inch with a silencer-compatible flash hider or a 14.5 with a perm attached silencer compatible flash hider.
man

Post by man »

Artful wrote:You'd have to SBR the rifle unless you have a permenant flash hider mounted onto that barrel - you could either find a can that can mount to that current barrel/hider combo or you can have the hider changed to one that long enough to meet 16+ barrel length and permenatly mounted that can use normal quick attach can. Or you could change the barrel to one that's 16+... If I was doing it I'd first check which can's can mount to existing hider - if none then change to YHM hider or AAC hider if long enough and use the can that matched it.

I'm sure you'll get someone who's familiar with second gen Phanton flash hider soon. :wink:
bah - damn spelling.

I would prefer to stick with my current barrel/flash hider combo, if at all possible.

Google is giving me precious little information on silencers, and finding out if there are any cans compatible with my current flash hider has not been easy thus far. I know the duty experts here can answer that one.

Also, just how permanent is "permanent" regarding flash hiders? I know all about required lengths and ATF rules, but there has to be some way to modify one's flash hider, if necessary.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

You could cut it off the barrel and thread the barrel, and register the gun as an SBR, and put on another flash hider.

You can cut off the flash hider and weld on another.

All of these things are possible but I would just get a new barrel.

Heck I would just get a new upper.
bohica
Silent But Deadly

Post by bohica »

You may want to talk to the folks at Yankee Hill. Your existing flash suppressor is probably pinned and soldered on the muzzle so you need to permanently attach a suppressor compatible flash suppressor. The object is to end up with a system that gives you a length of 16" or more with the suppressor off. SWR sells a bird cage flash suppressor but it may not give you the 16". AAC makes one that looks like the Phantom so that may be the best option for you.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

man wrote: I would prefer to stick with my current barrel/flash hider combo, if at all possible.
I know, but it is not possible. I recommended your best options.

A 14.5 inch barrel with a perm flash hider is a terrible idea, and now you are seeing one of the two reasons why (the other reason is that you can't service the gas system).
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

This is why 14.5 + pinned FH is a bad idea.
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

rsilvers wrote:
man wrote: I would prefer to stick with my current barrel/flash hider combo, if at all possible.
I know, but it is not possible. I recommended your best options.

A 14.5 inch barrel with a perm flash hider is a terrible idea, and now you are seeing one of the two reasons why (the other reason is that you can't service the gas system).
Why can't you service the gas system? Pop the pins on the FSB, slide it foward and yank out the gas tube. Mine has a DD FF rail on it so that make it a little easier then the standard handguards.

Am I missing something?
-----------------------------

This space for rent.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

You can do that, but you can't replace the gas block with another one.
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

rsilvers wrote:You can do that, but you can't replace the gas block with another one.
Don't they make two piece gas blocks you can mount on? Of course all of this would require pre-planning your build.

This space for rent.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

How would you get the old one off?
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

rsilvers wrote:How would you get the old one off?
Dremel

:twisted:
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

rsilvers wrote:How would you get the old one off?
With reading comprehension. 8)

This space for rent.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

How would you get the first one off? As it from Bushmaster as they shipped the rifle?

Very few people do a 'build' and weld on their own flash hider.
MadDogDan
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MadDogDan »

It is very easy to take a sight tower off with a perm. FH if the barrel has an M4 profile. You take the cross pins out, slide the sight tower forward until the first band is over the barrel recess. Take a cutoff wheel on a dremel and cut through the first ring of the sight tower stopping before you hit the barrel. Then slide the sight tower forward again and work on the second band. Once you get the sight tower off you will need to use a two piece gas block. I have done this a number of times for people without putting a scratch on their barrels. It takes all of about thirty minutes to complete the job.

MadDog 8)
WWJWD (What Would John Wayne Do?)
MadDogDan
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MadDogDan »

Doesn't the Gemtech Halo fit over the standard A2 bird cage FH? If so what type of perm. attached FH do you have? I would check into the Halo.

MadDog :?:

ETA: I just noticed you said you have a Phantom, not an A2. Never mind about the Halo!!!!
WWJWD (What Would John Wayne Do?)
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

rsilvers wrote:How would you get the first one off? As it from Bushmaster as they shipped the rifle?

Very few people do a 'build' and weld on their own flash hider.
I mentioned "pre-planning" your build would be required. Thats why I ribbed you ;)

Its true very few people build and blind-pin/weld their own FH. But its also true very few people buy silencers. We are the few, the elite, the... umm.. patient. 8)

This space for rent.