My next project......

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

quietshooter

My next project......

Post by quietshooter »

My next project is another mark II for my tac 65. This time I'm gonna turn the barrel down and cut it so that the can shoulders up on the front of the receiver. no front sight but should look cool and be quiet as the 1.5" barrel wont burn much powder. Before I start cutting, has anyone shortened a mark II barrel this short? I'd hate to do it and find out it wont cycle reliably.
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

QuietShooter,

We've never cut one that short (1.5"), but I've seen a number of MK II's that were cut to 2.5". At this length, the gun most likely will not cycle reliably without the can attached. At 1.5", it's anyone's guess. It will need the extra back pressure of the silencer to cycle. If you do cut it extra short, don't go all the way to the receiver. If you do this, you will remove barrel shoulder where it crushes up against the receiver, and the barrel will unscrew from the receiver. Leave .075-.100 of barrel to make sure this does not happen.

Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
www.advanced-armament.com
quietshooter

While were at it....

Post by quietshooter »

Thanks Mike for the input. Its a pleasure to see you on the board. While I'm at it, another idea has been churning lately that I'd like to share....I understand a manufacturor building a can within certain design parameters that include cost of production vs profit margin, and this results in most modern suppressors seen today. But if we take cost of production out of the equation because this would be a One off type situation, it seems we could expieriment with some concepts. Imagine a 5 or 6 inch length muzzle can of good quality with a threaded endcap. Now take another of the same cans and have it thread onto the endcap of the first can. I know, too long, but if 6" gives good suppression, 12"should be twice as quiet.? A ruger 10/22 with a stiff 5' barrel and 12" of good baffles seems like it might outpreform an integral. Really long tubes have drawbacks like possible baffle strikes but cant really say cause Ive never seen a can 12" long full of baffles. Suppose a mfg. tested this and it worked. then suppose he offered muzzle cans with the feature of being able to link together front to back. Each can could be used independently or for ultra quiet, join them together. Sounds crazy,I know, but wish someone with the ability would try it would and let us RKSD's know. {reasonably knowledgeble suppressor designers} To be continued....
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

I've often wondered the same thing myself. (a non-ported 10/22 intergral can) I think the limiting factors would be baffle strike and a two stamp minimum. Maybe if the baffles were opened up to give plenty of breathing room, it might be possible.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]