Carbon remover

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

1096369fred
Senior Silent Operator

Carbon remover

Post by 1096369fred »

Hey Guys,

I friend of mine works for Boretech, and introduced me to a new product,
(I have used their "eliminator", for years and swear by it!) I asked him if he had anything that would work on the gunk in a .22 can he hooked me up with "C-4 Carbon Remover".... so far I tossed my suppressor endcap in my designated Hormel Bacon Bits Jar/ .22 suppressor bath.... and after just 30 minutes... I was surprised to be able to remove about 90% of the gluey lead carbon mess with just a quick wipe of paper towel.... this is all I have used it on so far....but it does show a lot of promise!

Fred

Oh, and for your other half... it smells nice and is reportedly nontoxic. I also recommend their cleaning rods (really top notch), patch guides and their patch hog thingy works great for catching dirty patches!

P.S. I don't get anything for saying this.... but the boretech people have been very nice to me and my sniper team with help and advice! They even came out and bore scoped our rifles and gave cleaning hints on their dime.... thats where I learned not to put the jag in the center of a patch, but off center so it does not jamb.... works like a charm! Very nice people!

http://www.boretech.com/products/carbonremover.shtml
ross123
Silent Operator

Post by ross123 »

good to use on aluminum?
1096369fred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 1096369fred »

I have used it on mine with no ill effects..... I checked the bottle ... no warning given..... Might be worth a call just to be safe!

Fred

P.S. I'll try the aluminum foil test and will report back in a day or so.
afoliata

Post by afoliata »

fred,

Still waiting to hear more about this stuff!! :P What's the verdict?
Fudmottin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fudmottin »

I hope Kroil is aluminum safe.

I already know that you shouldn't have children after using it. That and Mobil-1 seem to be my gun's best friends.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Fudmottin wrote:I hope Kroil is aluminum safe.
If it's not, I have a lot of guns that are fucked.
tReznr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tReznr »

ross123 wrote:good to use on aluminum?
I sent the following email to the company:
The baffles on my .22 silencer are totally caked with lead/carbon sludge and I'm having a hard time getting the heavy deposits off.

After reviewing your website, I have a couple of questions:

1) Are your products safe to use with aluminum baffles, or will there be a negative chemical reaction?
2) Will any of your products damage the finish on the tube of my suppressor?
3) Which product "C4 carbon remover" or "rimfire" blend will work best to get rid of the nasty lead/carbon sludge that is thickly coating my parts?
I got back the following reply:
To answer your questions:

1) Both the Rim Fire Blend and C4 are safe to use with Aluminum
2) Not knowing what your finish is we cannot answer this question. Majority of finishes (anodizes, bluing, parkerizing, etc.) will not be affected by either chemical. With that said we still recommend testing. Rather be safe than sorry.
3) If the following is that bad, start with the C4 and follow by the Rimfire Blend. Continue alternating chemicals until the suppressor is clean.

We know that these suppressors can be very difficult to clean and have a few items in R&D as we speak to address this issue.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Customer Service
Bore Tech, Inc.
100 Emlen Way, Ste # 108
Telford, Pa 18969 USA
P: 215-799-2500 x14
F: 215-799-2515
www.boretech.com
"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"

-Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

tReznr wrote:We know that these suppressors can be very difficult to clean and have a few items in R&D as we speak to address this issue.
This could be interesting. Something to keep an eye on, certainly.