50 BMG suppressors

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

nl12
Silent But Deadly

50 BMG suppressors

Post by nl12 »

Are there any 50 BMG suppressors out there besides the Cyclops that are worth buying? I am considering getting another 50 and I already have a Cyclops, does anyone have experience with the OPS 50 BMG can or the QSM?
hs338lapua
Silent But Deadly

Post by hs338lapua »

Go ahead and buy another mount for your cyclops and send me the $2500 you would have spent on another 50 silencer! :lol:

I think you've got the best one there is.
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

Hate to be nosy but do you like the Cyclops?
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

here is what i have to say: was on the line at the AAC shoot last year, shooting a nice rem 700 w/ 7.62sd that someone let me use. Not more than 15 feet away was Robert's McBros 50 with the AAc cyclops on it that people were buying rounds to shoot. I had no ear pro and neither did anyone else.

The .50 with the cyclops did not disturb me or cause any flinching or pain at all. At first it was a little scary knowing that .50 cal rounds were about to go downrange. An amazing can the cyclops is.

I dont think there is another .50 cal can out there that would compare. None.
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

I for one wouldn't own a .50 BMG without a can on it, that's for sure.
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

yellowfin wrote:I for one wouldn't own a .50 BMG without a can on it, that's for sure.
It's not that bad. I wish the M82 were more readily supressed, I enjoy shooting it more than my serbu bolt gun, and would buy a Cyclops if I was sure it would be OK on there.
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

My Stormfront is pretty loud. Wish I had a better setup.
nl12
Silent But Deadly

Post by nl12 »

okent wrote:Hate to be nosy but do you like the Cyclops?
I havent shot my own yet, but the other Cyclops I shot I definately liked, I wish AAC would make another 50 can that was slightly larger (25-35%) with an over the barrel Miter brake mount, maybe make the can Titanium.
Last edited by nl12 on Sat May 16, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

We would like to but someone would have to order 50+ of them to cover startup costs. It is hard to sell a lot of 50 BMG cans.
gimp2x
Silent But Deadly

Post by gimp2x »

delta9mda wrote:here is what i have to say: was on the line at the AAC shoot last year, shooting a nice rem 700 w/ 7.62sd that someone let me use. Not more than 15 feet away was Robert's McBros 50 with the AAc cyclops on it that people were buying rounds to shoot. I had no ear pro and neither did anyone else.

The .50 with the cyclops did not disturb me or cause any flinching or pain at all. At first it was a little scary knowing that .50 cal rounds were about to go downrange. An amazing can the cyclops is.

was that rem 700 duracoated with a urban camo pattern? if so that was me!
SCL
Silent But Deadly

Post by SCL »

I have a QSM and highly recommend it on a bolt gun. I haven't metered it, but its makes shooting the .50BMG a lot more pleasant. I still wear foam plugs when I shoot it, but I am paranoid about hearing loss. That said, I have heard it shot without protection when someone else was pulling the trigger and I was a few yards away and it was hearing safe to me. I have never shot a Cyclops so I cannot compare it, but the QSM is a sweet performer for me and was a few hundred bucks less than a Cyclops.

I would definitely recommend avoiding Ops Inc unless you want to wait a really, really, really long time to get your can. I hung on for two years and never got a straight answer from them regarding when it would be built. I went to QSM and haven't looked back. I think they finally made a few .50 cans a couple months after I canceled my order. a 2+ year wait is unacceptable IMHO.

QSM promptly answered all e-mails and phone calls and delivered my can within 90 days. IIRC the QSM is what CheyTac is recommending and selling on their guns.

Given all of the above, I would just keep your cyclops and use it on your new .50. Save that $2500 and buy ammo!!

SCL
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

gimp2x wrote:
delta9mda wrote:here is what i have to say: was on the line at the AAC shoot last year, shooting a nice rem 700 w/ 7.62sd that someone let me use. Not more than 15 feet away was Robert's McBros 50 with the AAc cyclops on it that people were buying rounds to shoot. I had no ear pro and neither did anyone else.

was that rem 700 duracoated with a urban camo pattern? if so that was me!
yes i think it was your stick, i bought a box of 308 at the show and asked people to shoot. thank you. i have pics. will post soon.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

nl12 wrote:
okent wrote:Hate to be nosy but do you like the Cyclops?
I havent shot my own yet, but the other Cyclops I shot I definately liked, I wish AAC would make another 50 can that was slightly larger (25-35%) with an over the barrel Miter brake mount, maybe make the can Titanium.
That was my thought as well..........I'm sure there's some reason why it was best not to do it becasue suppression isn't the #1 reasons for silencers or something.

Regardless, I'm happy i bought one.
NFAtalk.org
Mark K.
Silent Operator

Elite Iron Alpha

Post by Mark K. »

I have an Elite Iron Alpha suppressor for my M-99 and I am very pleased with it. at 1400$ (I think) its a great deal and I love it.

that being said, I havent heard too many .50 suppressors. I can tell you I shoot my M-99 without ears IF i am shooting in the open (not a covered shooting area.) as a general rule of thumb I do wear ears while shooting it. I have been told that an unsuppressed .50 m-33 ball round produces about a 160 Db sonic crack. I believe this to be correct, and it is apparant when shooting, because the down range noise reflections are pretty loud.

the most fun is shooting steel, cause the steel makes a hell of a clang- much louder than the bang or crack! :-)
Have fun, Shoot safe!