TP9 thread ??

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

steel
Silent But Deadly

TP9 thread ??

Post by steel »

Is there any thread adapters out there to allow the use of a SWR,AAC,Gemtech 9mm Silencer on the DSA TP-9 or is the only way you can go is with the BT silencer on this firearm?
brazos609
Silent But Deadly

TP9

Post by brazos609 »

I have seen it listed as M26x1 more than once but I think there were also some with the very cousre threads also.
SUB-MG
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SUB-MG »

I shot one of the select fire TP9's a month or so ago and if I recall correctly the barrel itself is not threaded. The barrel moves withing a sleeve which is threaded for mounting the B&T suppressor. I have not seen an adapter but you may be able to find someone to make one for you.
B&R Guns
FFL/SOT
Lees Summit, MO
http://WWW.BRGUNS.COM
bellamy67
Silent Operator

Post by bellamy67 »

I got an adapter for my tp9 and it will use my trident 9 now. Get ahold of mike from Tros.

I had the threaded barrel and NOT the lug barrel.

http://www.trosusa.com/

He made one for me and I was pleased.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

bellamy67 wrote:I got an adapter for my tp9 and it will use my trident 9 now. Get ahold of mike from Tros.

I had the threaded barrel and NOT the lug barrel.

http://www.trosusa.com/

He made one for me and I was pleased.
what mount are you using with the Trident? Thread-on, LCD, or 3-lug?

I contacted Tros about making a 26x1mm to 3-lug adapter. I think that would be sweet....
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

well..... to bump this (for anyone interested in this Swiss production of the strange Austrian gun):

I'm going to try a Tros 26mm to 1/2-28 adapter, and Tros 1/2-28 to 3-lug adapter, and use my Trident....

because....

I just ordered a B&T TP9 with factory:

-top cover with side rails
-brass catcher
-sling
-extra 30rd mag

gonna SBR this puppy....

I ordered the gun from onpoint firearms, and the accessories directly from DSA (I think they have a few more brass catchers in stock....)

DSA told me that they will sell me a stock when I send them a copy of my Form 1. They said they have a lot of stocks "in-stock," but are still waiting on some hardware from Switzerland anyway.

I figure by the time my Form 1 comes back, they'll probably have the parts I need.

I took a look at one of these pistols last night at a local shop (but it had the proprietary B&T lugs). The trigger isn't bad- the pull is just a little long. It has a glock-like trigger safety thing (and a cross-bolt safety at the top of the grip as well. this gun is idiot-proof). The quality of the gun seemed very high, and the steel components were machined beautifully. The mags were extremely light weight.

Mark at Tros said that he could make me an adapter to go directly from 26mm to 3-lug, but it would take a long time. When I asked him if I could just use his two adapters (like I described above) he told me that he doesn't usually recommending using two adapters, but in this case, it would be fine (he was more careful than his usual careful when making these).

Keep in mind there are two versions of the TP9 semi-auto pistol floating around. One has the threaded barrel in 26x1mm (RH I believe) and the other as the proprietary B&T lugs. When I was talking to the nice lady at DSA, she told me that the threaded ones are CONSIDERABLY more rare, because they actually didn't want to even import them, and didn't import nearly as many.

So, get a threaded model TP9, while you can. That is, if you want a semi-auto bulky 9mm pistol, like me :lol: I think it will be a fun SBR Trident host, with the folding stock. It has a rotating barrel delayed lock-up, so it should be fun. It's certainly not as ergonomic as my MP5 clone, but it is a lot smaller and lighter. I guess you could use an MP5k, but this thing has built-in rails, is cheaper, and has a barrel you can actually remove for cleaning. I like how the barrel doesn't touch the suppressor at all..... the suppressor is just secured to the shroud that the barrel travels through. Alignment issues worried me at first, but B&T makes a suppressor for it... so the shroud must be aligned pretty well! (unless, of course, the B&T suppressor aperture is really huge...). We'll see how the Trident works with it. It's fun to be a pioneer.

Hope this info proves useful for somebody(s) out there!
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

This thread needs pics :)
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

Fireman1291 wrote:This thread needs pics :)
here's some pictures from a guy that has an AAC Evo on his (and it looks like he SBR'ed it):

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/ ... 1371085641
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I am very interested in one of these, I also talked to tros, I would like a 26x1 to evo9 adapter, just take the whole booster out and screw the can directly on, so it can sit closer to the gun. Not sure if it's possible, my lgs has a threaded one, kind of a pain to take apart, and looks like it has a lot of parts, but definately cool.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

Yeah, I guess it would be cool to have the suppressor thread directly to the TP9 barrel shroud, but I like quick-connect/detach a lot better, and since I already use the 3-lug mount on my Trident for my MP5 clone, I already have a mounting solution.

If this ends up not working for some reason, I can always take the TROS 3-lug adapter off of the 1/2-28 adapter and get a fixed 1/2-28 mount for my Trident.

3-lug is so convenient though. I'll report on the accuracy when I get all of this stuff in, and set up.

I found these pictures on UZI talk, in this thread:

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthrea ... hlight=tp9

check out the splines on the rotating barrel that ride in the bolt lugs:

check out the recess in the bolt to use a 9mm casing to aid in extraction in case of malfunction:

(picture from handgunsmag.com)

I think this gun is pretty cool
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

After rigging up a brass catcher for my MP5 using a cheap AR brass catcher from MidwayUSA and a wire coat-hanger... I had to get this for the TP9:

yeah, you have to buy this too:

but soooo worth it :twisted:

chasing your brass for reloading at the range is a pain in the ass
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

TOOL1075 wrote:chasing your brass for reloading at the range is a pain in the ass
Everyone knows that isn't what brass catchers are for.

You must be some kind of assassin or something. Silencers, folding stocks, sbr's, brass catchers, and *gasp* silencers!

BTW, I have been dreaming about that setup for some time now. By "that setup" I mean that exact setup.

Nice.

ETA:

I recently conducted a cost-benefit analysis of dealing with brass. My alternatives included:

1) Purchase brass catchers
2) Stop being a brass whore
3) Hire a midget (less reach)
4) OD on motrin for lower back pain
5) Stop hanging out with Diomed

Brass catchers won out.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

:lol: yeah, I find brass catchers to be a must.

I especially find it true for suppressed use, because you end up shooting in places you don't normally shoot. You don't want to go looking for brass in the back yard and trample the wife's daisies.... or leave brass all over the woods when you go plinking.... even if you're not reloading, leaving spent brass everywhere gets really messy if everyone does it.

And let me tell you.... finding a spent 9mm casing in perfectly trimmed st. Augustine grass in the suburbs is no easy task. You would think the nickel cases of special-k would shine and glint, alerting you to their presence instantly. You would be wrong.

These factors almost make me shoot the guns with brass-catchers on them more than my pistols.
saunderscc
Silent Operator

Post by saunderscc »

It is possible to directly order an SBR TP9. I'll have to look around for the SKU. It comes with the folding stock from the factory.

Also, as I understand it, all new TP9's will have the funky silencer attach fitting the Rotax III. Once upon a time there were threaded barrel options. No longer.
If a random bolt of lightning hits you when you're standing in the middle of the field--that feels like a random event. But if your business is to stand in random fields during lightning storms, then you should anticipate, perhaps a little more robustly, the risks you're taking on.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

yeah, that's what the DSA rep told me about the barrel shrouds too. That's why I'm glad I found a threaded version for sale. (on point firearms in FL has some more for the lowest price I've seen online, if anyone is interested).

Yeah, you can buy the SBR version with the stock, but the price difference is simply the cost of the stock. Like I said, the lady at DSA said they have a lot of stocks, they are just waiting on hardware from B&T.

So, you can buy an SBR on a Form 4, or just Form 1 the normal gun. I'm doing the later, because you get to shoot the gun for all the months you wait for your Form 1, and then you appreciate the stock a lot more :lol: (not to mention you save money on a title-II dealer transfer fee. my title-I FFL guy only charges $20).

The B&T suppressor for this gun can actually attach to the threads as well as the lugs, I believe. But limiting yourself to that suppressor kind of sucks...

Maybe for those people who have the lugged version of the TP9, someone will make an adapter that fits the weird B&T lugs....
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

All this talk really makes me want to get one again...

TP9 with stock
Brass Catcher
Railed Upper
T-1
FUG
Silencer of choice....

Oh man, I need one bad.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

yeah, that's basically how I felt before I pulled out the credit card today :lol:

I was really going to buy a Kel-tec RFB but I gave up finding one at a reasonable price. I'll get an RFB eventually...

And suppressed 9mm is too much fun...
bellamy67
Silent Operator

Post by bellamy67 »

I supress my DAS with my trident. It runs and cycles without a problem. It is not as quiet as my glock 19 or my rockriver pistol. The spring is kinda loud is the reason why. Totally worth the buy, my buddies love it when I screw on the can.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

what do you use to connect your Trident? The fixed mount, or the 1/2-28 threaded LCD with fixed barrel spacer?

If you are using the fixed mount, I would imagine you might get a slight dB reduction with the LCD/fixed barrel spacer, or the 3-lug (due to the small amount of extra volume). SWR sells a fixed barrel spacer for the Shadow that will fit in the Trident. I'm going with 3-lug first, and if there are problems, I will just get a fixed barrel spacer and proper piston for my LCD.

The barrel on this gun is between 5 and 6 inches, I think, which makes it in the realm of full size pistols. Although, the lock-up time has a lot to do with noise too. Since this is a pseudo-delayed lockup system, I would think most of your noise is going to come from action noise (maybe a spring, like you said, or some other clatter), sort of like how an MP5 has a loud action because of the bolt carrier and bolt slamming home.

I wouldn't expect much ejection port noise... but I could be wrong.

The gun also has that barrel guide/shroud that protrudes after the muzzle, so it seems that would add even more volume for the expanding gasses.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

I find the following excerpt from this:

http://www.brugger-thomet.ch/pdf/TS-MP9.pdf

to be encouraging regarding ammunition compatibility. I think you can shoot damn near anything through this gun.

Get out your calculators.

1 m/s = 3.28 ft/s

so, as a quick reference point, let's say subsonic is anything under 340 m/s:

bellamy67
Silent Operator

Post by bellamy67 »

I use a fixed mount. The same one I use on my rockriver. I actually got back from shooting it eariler in the day. Runs great and never had a problem yet.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I just saw some in a gun store with no threads, just like a frikkin cone over the barrel. Ridiculous.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

the TP9 with lugs, or the older steyr SPP with the big black sleeve? If the former, that's all they are going to be selling once the supply of threaded barrel models in the country is depleted. If the later, you can remove that sleeve.
panaceabeachbum
Silent Operator

Post by panaceabeachbum »

TOOL1075 wrote:Yeah, I guess it would be cool to have the suppressor thread directly to the TP9 barrel shroud, but I like quick-connect/detach a lot better, and since I already use the 3-lug mount on my Trident for my MP5 clone, I already have a mounting solution.

If this ends up not working for some reason, I can always take the TROS 3-lug adapter off of the 1/2-28 adapter and get a fixed 1/2-28 mount for my Trident.

3-lug is so convenient though. I'll report on the accuracy when I get all of this stuff in, and set up.

I found these pictures on UZI talk, in this thread:

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthrea ... hlight=tp9

check out the splines on the rotating barrel that ride in the bolt lugs:

check out the recess in the bolt to use a 9mm casing to aid in extraction in case of malfunction:

(picture from handgunsmag.com)

I think this gun is pretty cool
Hey I recognize that arm in the pic and that blue formica from my desk :D , You left out the pics of the suppressor we offer for the tp9 $349 msrp

RICHARD THOMPSON
www.thompsonmachine.net
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

:lol: cool

I like that adapter for your suppressor.

Someone needs to make adapters like that for the SWR Trident, AAC Evolution, etc. (not to say people shouldn't buy your suppressor, but if you already have a 9mm can you want to use....)