A public service announcement...

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

A public service announcement...

Post by GoodOlDave »

Just to get some feedback, I contacted Yankee Hill Machine to see if what I'm hearing about the backlog is true, and they sent me back a rather curt answer...

Sir,
Form 3's have been takeing 12-16 weeks to be approved by ATF. We cannot ship to the dealer till the form 3 is approved. If your dealer placed an order 2 months ago, then it will still be another 1-2 months before the
suppressor ships to the dealer. When retail customers have been calling us we have been tellling them to plan on 5-6 months from start to finsh when they purchase a suppressor in the current market. ATF is extremely backlogged with paperwork due to the election of the new president last fall and the resulting mad panic of custmers all wanting a sound suppressor all of a sudden. You will get your suppressor. Thank
you for your patience and understanding during these extremely difficult and stressful times of business.

In short, A) the backlog isn't with them, but with ATF processing all the paperwork, b) Pres. Obama really IS getting people spooked, even with silencer buyers, and C) YHM is getting tons of inquiries, and the tone of the reply tells me they're getting annoyed at having to answer the same question over and over.

So, I guess we need to be patient and stop bugging YHM...unless of course you hate the company, in which case, go ahead and keep on bugging them.

This has been a public service announcement.
Frank Rizzo
Elite Member

Post by Frank Rizzo »

I didn't read any attitude into their response. In fact, with what their current workload must be, it was quite a detailed response. Way better than the 1 to 4 word responses I've gotten from some other suppliers.
ross123
Silent Operator

Post by ross123 »

every time i have contacted YHM they have been nothing but nice.
325fire

Post by 325fire »

Yes they are nice but i think they are full of SH#*. How come every other manufacturer that i have ordered from DSARMS, AAC, SWR, and a few others generally get me what i have ordered in a timely fashion. I know that the ATF is back logged on form 4s and form 1s but it is very funny i ordered SBR TP-9 with a suppressor combo and it arrived FORM 3 completed in 4 weeks. When i call AAC they give me timelines and have not failed to deliver on any as of now and none of them been 5 or 6 months.So what is really happening here? Is the ATF playing favorites? Or could it be that YHM does not send form 3s in until they have a pile of them to send? What ever the case may be they are loosing customers because of there wait times. I think it very funny that all the other manufacturers make things happen in a reasonable amount of time (depending on what you order aka specialty items not included).
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

I call bullshit. I submitted a form 4 about 2 weeks ago. The Form 3 to receive that item took almost 4 weeks exactly.

My guess is that YHM is using the current situation as an excuse to build a backlog without hurting their name.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
Mr. Greg
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mr. Greg »

I'm still waiting on the Form 3 for my AAC Tattoo suppressor to clear, so I'm inclined to believe YHM. To each their own, I guess.
Clever Signature.
afoliata

Post by afoliata »

Here here, YHM has been nothing but friendly and timely with me! They are also very easy to reach on the phone if you have questions.
saunderscc
Silent Operator

Post by saunderscc »

Coincidentally, I had a Form 3 approved today for a silencer I purchased. It took between 6 and 7 weeks for approval. Silencer was shipped today to my local dealer.
If a random bolt of lightning hits you when you're standing in the middle of the field--that feels like a random event. But if your business is to stand in random fields during lightning storms, then you should anticipate, perhaps a little more robustly, the risks you're taking on.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

pneumagger wrote:My guess is that YHM is using the current situation as an excuse to build a backlog without hurting their name.
This!

Our form 3's take about 4 weeks to the day... sounds like they want you to think the ATF is holding them up.
Last edited by 1_ar_newbie on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

Mr. Greg wrote:I'm still waiting on the Form 3 for my AAC Tattoo suppressor to clear, so I'm inclined to believe YHM. To each their own, I guess.
Your form 3 is approved. :wink:
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Re: A public service announcement...

Post by Diomed »

YHM wrote:Form 3's have been takeing 12-16 weeks to be approved by ATF.
They were saying this two years ago. It's a bullshit line, just like giving estimates of two weeks to get a widget in stock. The only difference is they've increased it from eight to ten weeks to the current twelve to sixteen.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

I had a Form 3 for a silencer purchased Apr 13 approved May 14, this included a delay caused by my local dealer who gave the sellling dealer old data that had to be corrected. It may also include a couple of days before the selling dealer submitted the form, I don't know the specific date.
GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GoodOlDave »

Gadzooks! This is my first can purchase so I didn't know any better. I'm feeling horribly naive right now for swallowing the sales talk.

All right then, since it's clear I'm waiting months and months and months for no real reason other than YHM thinking it's funny to have their customers wait, may I oblige you fine folks for a recommendation for a proper silencer dealer in Connecticut, then?

I'm going to Newington Gun Exchange, in Newington, CT. The shop itself is all right, but they deal exclusively in YHM. My barrel is threaded 1/2x32 RH so it's not like it's some weird size, either.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Just buy one in stock in any state from any dealer/distributor and the form 3 will come quickly.
I would never order a can from a manufacturer unless it was somehting special like a KAC .45 or other limited item.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
SUB-MG
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SUB-MG »

It all depends on which examiner is assigned to YHM. My examiner, Nickie Dudash, is great. She turns around my form 3s in 2-3 weeks. I use to be able to fax them on Monday and get them in the mail by the end of the week, but things have slowed down a bit over the last year.

YHM use to have a very slow examiner which caused a lot of delays. They discussed the issue with the NFA branch and they assigned Nickie to YHM to help speed things up. The last time I talked to YHM they said that they no longer have Nickie as their examiner. They now have a new examiner so there will be a learning curve.

New examiner or not, I would expect a form 3 to be approved in 4-6 weeks.
B&R Guns
FFL/SOT
Lees Summit, MO
http://WWW.BRGUNS.COM
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

GoodOlDave wrote:Gadzooks! This is my first can purchase so I didn't know any better. I'm feeling horribly naive right now for swallowing the sales talk.

All right then, since it's clear I'm waiting months and months and months for no real reason other than YHM thinking it's funny to have their customers wait, may I oblige you fine folks for a recommendation for a proper silencer dealer in Connecticut, then?

I'm going to Newington Gun Exchange, in Newington, CT. The shop itself is all right, but they deal exclusively in YHM. My barrel is threaded 1/2x32 RH so it's not like it's some weird size, either.
I use Newington Gun. I've got two cans that just started their form 3 wait. both from other dealers. IIRC newington gun charges about $45 for a transfer.
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)