.22 Backstop

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

singtoe wrote:You are putting way too much effort into building this. I use a box that is 8x12x12 and fil it with magazines and duct tape it on all surfaces. I use this set up in the garage. It stops 22 lr bullets in the first 4 or 5 magaizines. As you shoot it, the ducttape self heals sort of. I re-tape (add more tape to) once i see stuffing coming out the front. There is so much lead in it now that the lead actually stops the bullets then the magazines.

I also shot 45 acp and 9mm in it and those bullets stop about half way through the box. Never had a problem. Very Cheap and easy to make.

I would like to get a bigger box and use unfolded newspapers but I don't have any newspapers to try.
What sound does a 22LR make on impact? I was hoping to use something like what you describe above but fill it with foam and sand to reduce the "thud" of impact.

Maybe I can use a combo layer of foam(sound insulation) and magazines/phonebooks(reduce penetration)?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

This may be a stupid idea, but what about taking a plastic storage container (big enough to hold folded shirts, and fairly deep, filling it with sand, super-gluing steel plate to the underside of the lid, then using dowels to prop the lid up at the appropriate angle so impacts would deflect down into the sand? Tape some cardboard to the dowels and there's your target holder.

If the sound of impacting the plate is an issue, you could use the foam stuff to fill the open triangle, with cardboard on the sides to close the mold. Some of the sand would stick but you'd still be able to lift it out to police your projectiles from the container's base.

Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer and assume no liability for any damage or harm that may arise from use of information in this post. Etc. :P

EDIT: Hmm... any engineers/physicists have any thoughts on using a non-Neutonian fluid instead of sand? It'd be self-healing, easy to clean up, and might weigh less.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
sonanth
Elite Member

Post by sonanth »

I've shot into some non-Newtonian fluid. It was in a sandwich sized ziplock baggie hanging from a tree branch. Didn't work like i thought it would. Most likely because I didn't have a sufficient amount to the get result I was hoping for.

The .45 round blew it ALL over the place. It was cornstarch and water. I might try mixing up a 5gal bucket of the stuff. I think the hardest part of doing that will be stirring it to mix it, unless I make many small batches and pour it all into the bucket.
"Your" does not equal "You're", the contraction for "You are".

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
dyeman12

Post by dyeman12 »

I will second the use of shredded rubber as a buffer material for a home style bullet trap. Had a very experienced retired Secret Service manager of a Federal training facility with a premo range recommend its use. Does not corrode, great for harvesting the lead, inherent sound dampening, pretty cheap.

I am still looking for a good front wall material that is "self healing" but still inexpensive. This is a neat approach:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/ ... ost1082864
jmorris
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmorris »

When you have some time you might check out the link below. There are 271 posts on the topic of making bullet traps.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/sho ... ullet+trap
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

I made a pellet trap for a fairly powerful air-rifle when I was a kid by using plumbers putty in a box. You can buy that stuff at most hardware/home improvement stores.

For a .22, I would probably start with a thick layer of that in front of a thick layer of sand. Maybe one foot of putty and two feet of sand, with a steel plate behind it. By the time the projectiles hit the plate, if they even do, they will have lost significant velocity, and it should be fairly quiet. The steel plate is basically your insurance policy.
singtoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by singtoe »

seattlite wrote:
singtoe wrote:You are putting way too much effort into building this. I use a box that is 8x12x12 and fil it with magazines and duct tape it on all surfaces. I use this set up in the garage. It stops 22 lr bullets in the first 4 or 5 magaizines. As you shoot it, the ducttape self heals sort of. I re-tape (add more tape to) once i see stuffing coming out the front. There is so much lead in it now that the lead actually stops the bullets then the magazines.

I also shot 45 acp and 9mm in it and those bullets stop about half way through the box. Never had a problem. Very Cheap and easy to make.

I would like to get a bigger box and use unfolded newspapers but I don't have any newspapers to try.
What sound does a 22LR make on impact? I was hoping to use something like what you describe above but fill it with foam and sand to reduce the "thud" of impact.

Maybe I can use a combo layer of foam(sound insulation) and magazines/phonebooks(reduce penetration)?
My set up has no thud or impact noise. I even use a Ruger 77/22 and I still don't hear any impact noise You get more noise from the gun cycling and the silencer then anything. I imagine if my box was 100 yards away, i might hear a thud but being in the garage, The distance and all the other noises cover the impact noise. This is truely the best set up. Cheap, works and when your done, you could burn it, or throw it in the trash.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

dyeman12 wrote:I will second the use of shredded rubber as a buffer material for a home style bullet trap. Had a very experienced retired Secret Service manager of a Federal training facility with a premo range recommend its use. Does not corrode, great for harvesting the lead, inherent sound dampening, pretty cheap.

I am still looking for a good front wall material that is "self healing" but still inexpensive. This is a neat approach:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/ ... ost1082864
I think Costco had some bags of rubber mulch that could be used. I'll take a visit tomorrow and see if they still have some.
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

I gave it a try. Thanks for the idea smcharchan

Its an 18 gallon tub.
1 bag of rubber mulch on the bottom.
Then about 175 pounds of sand on top
Then two cans of foam.
Did the sam thing with the wooden dowels.

Just made it last night. Hit it with a few rounds form the P22 and a Bolt action .22. Good so far, this week ill probably use it more.
If I start to get cracks in the back ill get some metal behind it. But the rubber mulch was 3 inches thick by itself. The sand is about 8 inches. I think it should be good.
I use the rubber on the bottom for a layer of "cushion" to help soften the impact of the bullets on the back of the container. Not sure if that will actually work...

pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Quietly-Effectively
Silent But Deadly

Gunslick trap

Post by Quietly-Effectively »

I use a 2'x2'x2" rubber mat in front of my .22 bullet trap. I bought the trap 34 years ago. Lead particle splatter is almost zero. I need to weight down the top steel plate to reduce the ringing sound. Not pretty, but it works.

YHM 3200
SRT Cheyenne XL, AAC Pilot, Spectre
Trident 9
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

All: just remember that the foam will have to be sprayed back in the spots that get the most action right behind the bulls-eyes.

I just move the bulls around a bit and inject the wore-out spots with some new foam when needed.

That is the only maintenance mine has needed.
sweett
Silent But Deadly

Post by sweett »

jppd47 wrote:I gave it a try. Thanks for the idea smcharchan

Its an 18 gallon tub.
1 bag of rubber mulch on the bottom.
Then about 175 pounds of sand on top
Then two cans of foam.
Did the sam thing with the wooden dowels.

Just made it last night. Hit it with a few rounds form the P22 and a Bolt action .22. Good so far, this week ill probably use it more.
If I start to get cracks in the back ill get some metal behind it. But the rubber mulch was 3 inches thick by itself. The sand is about 8 inches. I think it should be good.
I use the rubber on the bottom for a layer of "cushion" to help soften the impact of the bullets on the back of the container. Not sure if that will actually work...

Very Nice! Where did you get the rubber mulch? I was going to put a layer of rubber over the steel plate but that may be a better alternative.
M4-2000

If Guns Kill People, I Can Blame Misspelled Words On My Pencil

WWW.TALLAHASSEEGUNFORUM.COM
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

I believe someone said you can get it from Lowes or Home Depot.
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

Ryo wrote:I believe someone said you can get it from Lowes or Home Depot.
Home Depot, it was in the garden section where all the other mulch was
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

I used a 30mm ammocan, and the usual foam/sand combo. But also used a couple of layers of what most people call dynamat from mcmaster-carr EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate, Part #9709T57) for what should be as close to a self healing layer as I could come up with in my garage to keep things from moving around, and also keeps sand off of foam layers. Seems to work good. ammo can is exactly one phone book across, so I use a phone book as a disposable center. Steel is probably not strong enough to take a subsonic at a 90, but probably redirect an angled shot. Stops HP 9mm @ ~875 with phone book as sacrificial layer, RN 147gr @ ~875 hit the back of the ammocan but did not penetrate steel back, but I wouldn't recommend it. Plus the 30mm has a cover you can snap over it, and the sides don't give way. They are 17 bucks at midwayusa.com

Ammocan like this one (bought mine from midway) http://www.calarmy.com/containers/cans/index.html
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9709t39/=412u03
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

jppd47 wrote:
Ryo wrote:I believe someone said you can get it from Lowes or Home Depot.
Home Depot, it was in the garden section where all the other mulch was
Thanks! I checked Costco a few days ago, but they only sell the rubber mulch during the spring/summer.
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

Ill take some pictures tomorrow.
But I decided to shoot Subsonic 7.62 and some 5.56 in it.

It actually worked. except when I shoot the Subsonic 7.62 I had the target to high and I was coming through the top/back of the tub.

Also some sand leaked around the foam.

But it stopped Full velocity 5.56. so ill tinker with the design and see if i can get it to not leak around the edges.

Also I might just build a small berm in my yard....:)

But it definitely worked at stopping the bullets.