Suppressed HK P7?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Conqueror
Elite Member

Suppressed HK P7?

Post by Conqueror »

I know Maj Malfunction has one, but he's out of communication right now. I was wondering if anyone out there has a suppressed P7 and how it's working for you? As the P7 depends on back pressure, I'm wondering if hanging a can on the end causes any issues. A P7 with a small 9mm can should be pretty cool.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
AAA
Industry Professional

Post by AAA »

Suppressing doesn't affect the function at all. The main problem is that they tend to send a lot of particulate back in your face.
The other problem is the cost of a replacement barrel - most I've seen are close to $300, then you have to install it. The P7 barrels are pressed and pinned in place. Unless you know what you're doing, barrel replacement can be difficult.
Tornado Technologies
Mailing Address:
22115 NW Imbrie Drive #181
Hillsboro OR 97124
PH: (503)690-8000
Web: www.tornado-technologies.com
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

There is another member on here that has one, maybe he'll chime in.
NFAtalk.org
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

I've got a P7M13

Pros: Nice, fun and relatively quiet, doesn't need a booster.

Cons: Make sure you wear eye protection, it spits a bunch of crap back from the chamber. Make sure you run the can dry
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

mk23 wrote:I've got a P7M13

Pros: Nice, fun and relatively quiet, doesn't need a booster.

Cons: Make sure you wear eye protection, it spits a bunch of crap back from the chamber. Make sure you run the can dry
Problems with water back down the bore fouling the gas cylinder/fluted chamber?
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

AAA wrote:Suppressing doesn't affect the function at all. The main problem is that they tend to send a lot of particulate back in your face.
The other problem is the cost of a replacement barrel - most I've seen are close to $300, then you have to install it. The P7 barrels are pressed and pinned in place. Unless you know what you're doing, barrel replacement can be difficult.
I take it you guys can't do an extension like with the Beretta 21a?
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

mk23 wrote:Make sure you run the can dry
Is that for the sake of reducing blowback or piston issues? If I was going to bother with doing this I was hoping to opt for an AWC Abraxas to complement the P7's tiny size. That can has to be shot wet to sound decent.
KIRMIL
Silent Operator

Suppressed P7

Post by KIRMIL »

I love shooting the P7 suppressed. It is a fun gun to shoot anyway like the P9S that makes a great platform for a suppressor. P7K3 in .22 is really awesome also.

Here is an adaptor that Mark McWillis makes so you can attach a subgun can with 3-lug attachment. These guns cycle everytime and don't need a booster.

Here is a picture with a Gemtech Raptor on it. Super quiet with 147gr ammo.
AAA
Industry Professional

Post by AAA »

Conqueror wrote:
AAA wrote:Suppressing doesn't affect the function at all. The main problem is that they tend to send a lot of particulate back in your face.
I take it you guys can't do an extension like with the Beretta 21a?
Yeah, the barrels are way to thin. We have done extensions in the passed but I'm hesitant to do them now.
Tornado Technologies
Mailing Address:
22115 NW Imbrie Drive #181
Hillsboro OR 97124
PH: (503)690-8000
Web: www.tornado-technologies.com
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Smoking deal for a P7M8 (from what I have seen) at my local shop right now.

$1000 for a like new in box with 4 magazines and all the normal goodies.
I would go for it if I hadn't got a taurus PT99 a month or two ago.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Conqueror wrote:
Is that for the sake of reducing blowback or piston issues? If I was going to bother with doing this I was hoping to opt for an AWC Abraxas to complement the P7's tiny size. That can has to be shot wet to sound decent.
Most likely because the gun is simply blued - no modern real protective factory finishes. That is what the gunclerk told me about the P7M8. He advised me to only get certain leather for it and it would be a ppor choice for a sweaty person. The advice makes sense if it is truely only a simple blue finish.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

I carry a P7, and I can tell you that the finish is not modern.

It will rust easily.

I think I might get mine refinished.
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

Conqueror wrote:
Because of blowback in the face. All the water/sooth ends up on your face. My wife goes," WTF were you doing?"
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

mk23 wrote:
Conqueror wrote:
Because of blowback in the face. All the water/sooth ends up on your face. My wife goes," WTF were you doing?"
You using the KY as ablative :lol:
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

You know it! I was covered in KY from head to toe. :D

(water actually)
bgrayd
Silent But Deadly

Post by bgrayd »

mk23 wrote:You know it! I was covered in KY from head to toe. :D
Are you sure this is the forum for that statement?

Brett
Fudmottin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fudmottin »

I have a P7M8 and would almost be willing to do a hit to get it suppressed.

I honestly believe the P7M8 is the best combat pistol made, period.

I did get some flak from a gunsmith about installing tritium night sights to the slide. Apparently the slide is just not big enough for his vice :twisted:

The sights work well though. I figured night sights would be nice to get when the insert in the front factory sight literally disappeared when shooting. My particular P7M8 is an "armory extra" with the police department insignia milled off. It was half the price of a new model.

The barrel does look like it is there to stay.

ETA: Rust has not been an issue. Although the slide has a rather interesting patina to it.
PSG1 Nut
Silent But Deadly

Post by PSG1 Nut »

Fudmottin wrote:I have a P7M8 and would almost be willing to do a hit to get it suppressed.

I honestly believe the P7M8 is the best combat pistol made, period.

I did get some flak from a gunsmith about installing tritium night sights to the slide. Apparently the slide is just not big enough for his vice :twisted:

The sights work well though. I figured night sights would be nice to get when the insert in the front factory sight literally disappeared when shooting. My particular P7M8 is an "armory extra" with the police department insignia milled off. It was half the price of a new model.

The barrel does look like it is there to stay.

The barrels can be changed but they are pushed in then pined in so they are hard to get out and in if you do not know what you are doing.

ETA: Rust has not been an issue. Although the slide has a rather interesting patina to it.
prebanyo

Re: Suppressed HK P7?

Post by prebanyo »

first post here

as said above the barrels are very thin for an extension but i did one anyway. extended and threaded 1/2-28 for an awc abraxas. makes for a cool little package. dead nuts reliable and quite enough to run a mission if you had to. spent a whole day on the project. i had to make the tools to remove and reinstall the barrel. pics to prove it
[/img]Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
RDIAS

Post by RDIAS »

Heres my M8 with a Trident9 3lug. Not a great gun to supress since it feels like getting spit in your face ever shot.
BUGL3R

Post by BUGL3R »

Hello everyone, first post. I have one of those "armory extras" that I would love to do regardless of the blowback. It's been refinished because of the humidity down here in SE Texas. Who, how, and where do I begin to see about doing this for me. Thanks.
csfirearms
Silent But Deadly

Post by csfirearms »

I used Tornado Tech. Now the turnaround could be pretty long so you need to ask.

CSF

I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
BUGL3R

Post by BUGL3R »

Thanks, I'll check them out. BTW, she's a beauty!