SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: AAC M4-2000 Phantom Flash Hider - 5 port vs 6 port?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:08 am 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:01 am
Posts: 6
I purchased an M4-2000 earlier this year and it came with a 5 port / 5 prong Phantom flash hider. I recently purchased two more M4-2000 Phantom's and noticed they now have 6 ports and 6 prongs. The 5 port model has ports that are noticeably slanted to deflect gas at an angle. The 6 port model does not have slanted ports.

What is the difference? Which one is the current issue?


Thanks,
Jarret


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:20 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:31 am
Posts: 33631
Location: USA
The slants are designed to keep the flash hider tight as they provide torque.

Both kill all flash on normal barrels. The 6 straight ports is a better choice for 9-10 inch barrels and is the latest after testing 35+ variations.

I could measure no difference in performance for barrels 11+ inches. On barrels 10 inches and shorter, and with certain high-flash ammo, the best of the other configureations would sometimes (like once out of 20 shots) have some flash while the 6-port did not.

I am fairly certain that there is no AR15 flash hider better than the 6-port AAC. In fact, even people without silencers should get them. YHM does not offer this configuration directly as it was developed with and for AAC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:03 am 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:01 am
Posts: 6
Thanks Robert. I assume the 6 port will not degrade accuracy on a 18" precision SPR Mk12 setup?

Are the below steps still the recommended install procedure?

- clean shoulder and threads of barrel with a solvent to completely remove all oil and grease
- thoroughly clean and dry threads on inside of AAC flash hider with solvent
- apply 1 drop of ROCKSETT to the muzzle threads
- torque AAC flash hider between 20-30 ft-lbs
- allow ROCKSETT to cure overnight before firing

20 to 30 ft-lbs is a large torque range. Is there a more specific recommendation?


Thanks,
Jarret


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:13 am 
Offline
Silent But Deadly

Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 1:38 am
Posts: 202
Location: KY, Northern
Anyone know how the SOPMOD stacks up to other flash suppressors?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:18 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:31 am
Posts: 33631
Location: USA
SWATH wrote:
Anyone know how the SOPMOD stacks up to other flash suppressors?


It is my #1 favorite choice for 14.5 and longer barrels as I always use the can anyway, and it makes the OAL sorter with the can on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:22 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:31 am
Posts: 33631
Location: USA
M40A5 wrote:
20 to 30 ft-lbs is a large torque range. Is there a more specific recommendation?


Less than 20 is not enough, and more than 30 is too much. The range is wide because there is no way to know which setting in that range is best for you. It also depends on how much Rockset you use, how well you degrease the flash hider and threads, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:34 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly

Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 1:38 am
Posts: 202
Location: KY, Northern
rsilvers wrote:
SWATH wrote:
Anyone know how the SOPMOD stacks up to other flash suppressors?


It is my #1 favorite choice for 14.5 and longer barrels as I always use the can anyway, and it makes the OAL sorter with the can on.


Thanks Robert,
I bought mine for the same reason. I meant how well does it stack up regarding flash suppression. Is it similiar to the phantom or at least the A2. I have not had a chance to shoot it at night.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:40 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:31 am
Posts: 33631
Location: USA
Worse than the full size one, better than an A2. I did not answer because I never tested it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:41 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:59 am
Posts: 252
Location: Rocky Mountains
rsilvers wrote:
M40A5 wrote:
20 to 30 ft-lbs is a large torque range. Is there a more specific recommendation?


Less than 20 is not enough, and more than 30 is too much. The range is wide because there is no way to know which setting in that range is best for you. It also depends on how much Rockset you use, how well you degrease the flash hider and threads, etc.


Mine was just right at 25 ft-lbs. The rockset also spread out really nicely with one drop after everything was degreased. I haven't shot it with the SOPMOD yet, but I have hoped it would be as good as my vortex was.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:32 am 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:54 pm
Posts: 859
Location: SW Ohio
Not trying to hijack the thread but what makes flash hiders work in the first place? I read once that they allow too much air to mix with the burning gasses essentially creating a fuel/air ratio that is to lean to continue burning.

Can anyone confirm or deny this theory or explain, mechanically, what makes a flash hider work. Or is it some sort of dark voodoo supernatural secrete that no one quite understands.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:00 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:01 pm
Posts: 21
#93 wrote:
Not trying to hijack the thread but what makes flash hiders work in the first place? I read once that they allow too much air to mix with the burning gasses essentially creating a fuel/air ratio that is to lean to continue burning.

Can anyone confirm or deny this theory or explain, mechanically, what makes a flash hider work. Or is it some sort of dark voodoo supernatural secrete that no one quite understands.


In a word: turbulence


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:56 am 
Offline
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:16 pm
Posts: 7412
Location: In the spectrum of the cosmos
how did you guys torque your flashiders, my M42000 i used an open end wrench and just guessed ,not good i know

but now i have a torque wrench and a 5/8 or 7/8 crows foot so my next job wont be as shitty


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Jeff350, KSoze, kyswede, railin93, rimshaker, Shurshot, wmdaniel70 and 173 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group