Which Tuned AR15 22LR Upper Host

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Which Tuned AR15 22LR Upper Host

Post by seattlite »

Hello,

Can you folks suggest a tuned SA/FA 22LR AR15 upper host for my Spectre. I like the Spikes ST-22, but I've been reading that folks have to tweak, tune SA and FA use. Does CMMG, Tactical Solutions, etc make a tuned, plug and play, reliable 22LR AR15 Upper?

Thanks,
Richard
wwboater
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wwboater »

I have a Spikes and I shoot it every week end. I do not know what people are meaning by tuning, I shot 100 rds and had a couple of FTF and FTE, but since then it runs like a raped ape.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Spike's is said to be the way to go for .22LR, AR! 8)
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

700PSS wrote:Spike's is said to be the way to go for .22LR, AR! 8)
LOVE mine..but only have 1500 or so rounds thru it so far and no fullauto bolt for it
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

I am shooting semiauto and haven't had to do a single thing to my Spikes.
I have put somewhere close to 2K through it, CCI 36gr minimags.
Full size Blackdog mags.
I get maybe one hung up empty every couple hundred.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Hmm.....you folks using dedicated 22LR upper/bolts or 223 uppers/bolts?
wwboater
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wwboater »

Dedicated 22 with a 5.5 in barrel.......

I have well over 14K through my Spikes upper and the only problem was a bit of wear on the bolt face. I let the Spikes take a look at it during the silencer shoot and they replaced it on the spot. There was no problem with function but they said they wanted to replace it....... Great customer service. Worth every penny I spent.....
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

Spikes all the way.....no problems with mine outside of ammo related issues. What you have to remember about these is that they ARE .22LR which means they will be subjet the the ammo related issues of using Rimfire. Most of the people you read about complaining about the tuning are those that have limited experience with rimfires and tend to blame ammo related malfunctions on the gun. Get a Spikes and find the ammo that it likes then never look back.
Go Hoos!!!!
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

OK....looks like I'll get the Spikes.

What are the chances that Remington Subsonics(I have a fair amount) will remain subsonic in a 16" barrel with the Spectre?
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

Hit or miss since Remmy SS is not known for its consistancy. Most should be SS, however you may have one go Transonic on occassion.
Go Hoos!!!!
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

Wahoo95 wrote:Spikes all the way.....no problems with mine outside of ammo related issues. What you have to remember about these is that they ARE .22LR which means they will be subjet the the ammo related issues of using Rimfire. Most of the people you read about complaining about the tuning are those that have limited experience with rimfires and tend to blame ammo related malfunctions on the gun. Get a Spikes and find the ammo that it likes then never look back.
thats what I did........mine does not like the ~300 rounds of CCI mini-mag RN or HP rounds I've fed it. It HATED remington subsonic, but most I've owned do anyways. Used Federal Automatch 325 round nose non-copperwashed without any issue and it was very accurate. Broke open a couple Federal Bulk Pack HP (red from walmart) and its all fed and functioned perfectly as well.

Considering picking up a FA bolt for it to play with when my buddy brings his select fire lower over! I've seen the FA parts you can add to the bolt....anyone know if it still works as a SA when put in a SA lower with those parts installed on the .22 bolt? Difference between $35 and $200+!
evo45
Elite Member

Post by evo45 »

I have a dedicated 22 upper from Spikes, it works great!! Mine is the 5.5 in barrel and when I bought it they said it might need tuning but I had already put a lower power hammer spring and disconnect spring so it ran like a champ from the get go. I also havent really shot it much without a can on it and they said that will help with reliability. I really like my Spikes upper and so does my fiancee. When we go shooting I have a hard time getting it away from her so I can put a couple rounds throug it. :lol: Get one you wont regret it.
evo45
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Did you folks have to re-zero your sights when you attached your suppressors?
texas_archer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by texas_archer »

Got my spikes 22 dedicated upper in the mail today. Im waiting on a trigger from Bill Springfield and then Ill run it this weekend. Still waiting on my Element to get in.
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

seattlite wrote:Did you folks have to re-zero your sights when you attached your suppressors?
dont know.....waiting on my stamp for my Element to be brought by an angel in a postal outfit to my SOT and I'll report back.
wwboater
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wwboater »

Since mine has the 5.5 inch barrel I never shoot it with out the can. So it is zeroed for my can....
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

wwboater wrote:Since mine has the 5.5 inch barrel I never shoot it with out the can. So it is zeroed for my can....
mine is a 16" dedicated Spikes upper......hoping to give it a shot in fullauto if my buddy can bring his select fire lower over!
39Lasalle

Post by 39Lasalle »

I also have a 16" dedicated Spike's upper. I mostly shoot Aguilla subsonics out of it with my Quest suppressor. I did have to cut some of the recoil springs for it to run near perfect. I also do not have to re-zero with or without my suppressor.

csfirearms
Silent But Deadly

Post by csfirearms »

Spikes is the best. I use a 5.5 inch SBR with a SWR Spectre. You can see the can is flush to the rail system.

CSF

I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

csfirearms wrote:Spikes is the best. I use a 5.5 inch SBR with a SWR Spectre. You can see the can is flush to the rail system.

CSF

I've seen those pics before and still love em! Cant beat how well the endcap and rail length match the end of ur Spectre!
wwboater
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wwboater »

So now we are bringin out the pics......

Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

In before someone bitches about the KNS anti-rotation pins on .22's. :roll:

Nice rigs, guys. I'm considering going with a .22 upper myself because practicing with full 5.56 is getting very expensive and after my last range trip I have learned I need a lot of practice. :oops:

All I see in offerings for Spikes Tactical are 16" and 11.(something)". Are the 5" uppers custom orders or did you have someone else shorten them?
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
wwboater
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wwboater »

KNS pins because we paid an extra $200 to the guberment so we could have short barrels......

Spikes sells the 5.5 inch barrel. They will also do any barrel length that you want......
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I've got KNS pins in my lower, too. Got them before the brow-beating started here on those who owned them. Thanks for the tip, I'll look more closely and see if I can find the 5.5
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

I'v broken 3 Hammer pins over the past 6 months and I'm considering getting the KNS pins on my ST-22.
Go Hoos!!!!