AWC Suppressors and the Dallas-Fort Worth Area - 2nd Version

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Are AWC cans the Rolls Royce of sound suppressors?

Yes
14%
No
86%

Total votes: 37

Antonius
Silent Operator

AWC Suppressors and the Dallas-Fort Worth Area - 2nd Version

Post by Antonius »

Hello Everyone,

I just got back from a major regional gun show and talked with several Class III dealers and collectors in the area.

The majority of them distributed and (in some cases) seem to have a love affair with AWC suppressors with one dealer going so far as to call them the Rolls Royce of suppressors. Many distributed other brands as well, but no one spoke of them with a twinkle in their eye like AWC.

Does anyone agree or disagree with these sentiments?

Why?

Thanks for the input.
Anthony
JEJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by JEJ »

Twenty Years ago Maybe.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

AWC was state of the art when they came out with the Thundertrap. The Thundertrap is still excellent though no longer stands out. When I started this web site, I assumed AWC was best because of what I heard, read in their advertising -- but they are not.

Let's just get this over with. AAC is the best silencer company and if that has not been very clear over the last year or two, it will become more and more clear over the next year.
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

AWC also seems to have a cult folowing here... At a small gun show here in Asheville NC there was 3 diffrent class 3 dealers there and they all had just AWC stuff... That is how I wond up with an AWC Nexus 2 in the pre silencer tests days...

I am not sure how they stack up sound wise. But I will say the Craftsmanship and fit and finish on my can is exelent It has a nice rich black color finish.. but it is not scrach proof
Last edited by Blaster7Romeo on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Every single product AWC makes can be purchased from a different manufacturer at the same or lower cost with better performance. If I missed something they make that is superior in the marketplace, please educate me.

Long ago, AWC was it. Today, there are several good (dare I say great?) manufacturers that keep prices in check and performance improving over time. Has AWC spent the big bucks to evolve into better products or, are they producing what they are familiar with?

If I had an AWC MK-9 I would be happy but, I think I can find what I want with a Gem-Tech Mk-9k or an SCRC version through AAC. What's left that they make that is a standout?

The poll is telling too ;)
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

AWC has always built very nice products. The innovation stalled several years ago when their engineer left to work for KAC.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I've got an AWC Thundertrap, and I would have to admit that had I not been 'sold' on it by a stocking dealer, that I would have just done a transfer on an SWR Omega .30 for almost 1/2 the price.

I would love to have a QD .308 can that didn't have much POI shift also.
:?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

An Omega 30 is 1/2 the price? I always thought they were both over $1000. SWR should just list their prices. I never asked.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

rsilvers wrote:An Omega 30 is 1/2 the price? I always thought they were both over $1000. SWR should just list their prices. I never asked.
I think the retial price on the Omega is $895
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Thundertrap is $999.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I found a dealer who could get me an Omega .30 for $685, and I think the Tundertrap listed for $1200 when I got mine.

Pardon the confusion.
RatPatrol

Post by RatPatrol »

We have a new class III dealer who is really pushing AWC products. I suspect their markup may be higher than some of the other makes. A friend ordered an Archangle from them. It will be interesting to see how it compares to some of the other 22 cans.

Their website really turns me off. Too much BS, not enough actual specs.
centurion
Industry Professional

Post by centurion »

AAC is the only way to go there is no one better!!

Period
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

centurion wrote:AAC is the only way to go there is no one better!!

Period
Do you work for AAC

:lol:
wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

GlockandRoll wrote:I found a dealer who could get me an Omega .30 for $685, and I think the Tundertrap listed for $1200 when I got mine.

Pardon the confusion.
I would jump on that omega 30. The street price on mine was 775 and worth every penny.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

wolffie wrote:
GlockandRoll wrote:I found a dealer who could get me an Omega .30 for $685, and I think the Tundertrap listed for $1200 when I got mine.

Pardon the confusion.
I would jump on that omega 30. The street price on mine was 775 and worth every penny.
We are having the barrel threaded now. It's an Obermeyer stainless fluted job on a Remington short mag, should be good times - I'll post a review w/pics once it is cleared.
delbert
Silent But Deadly

Post by delbert »

The first cans I purchased were AWC. They are very nice. This purchase was made before I had much info on suppressors and did not really know what I was looking for.

I only knew about AWC and AAC at the time. AWC said they were the best and the dealer I had found seemed to agree. He had also just stopped carrying AAC for some reason and picked up AWC so that is what I got.

The next three silencers I bought were AAC. :wink:
brazos609
Silent But Deadly

AWC

Post by brazos609 »

How old are the AWC suppressors those gunshow dealers have on their tables? I have seen alot of people selling discontinued models at gunshows. Models out of production for years and they are still asking full retail. I have also seen dealers with obviously used AAC and Gemtech suppressors priced at over full retail. Just hoping for a sucker to come along. Same dealers who have had the same overpriced machineguns on their tables for years. I know of several dealers who had SP1 RR conversions at $12,500 and rough looking MP5 clip-on RR for $14,500 for four years or more. Now that those are actual within bargaining range of a reasonable price they will raise them.
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

What i really want to see is the sound rating on the 7.62 SD compared to the thundertrap. Anyone else second that?

As for AWC I have the MK9 and love it except for the length, but its quiet and the customer sercice I've personally have from AWC has been great. I now have an AAC 7.62 SD and am well please, there were a few bugs to work out with the flash hider attachment but I think we're in the clear now. So far I've been well please with quality, quiet and customer service from BOTH companies. I guess it just boils down to budget. At the time I bought my 7.62 the thundertrap was 1200, and I paid 795 (right before the increase) plus I bought an adaptor for my AR15 sniper and it works pretty well (except for the weight) on it too. It was a win win for me and I'm please so far.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The AAC Cyclone and Thundertrap have identical sound performance. I am not sure about the 762-SD as I never test it. However, it has the same baffles as the Cyclone.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I know I could have probably spent less money, but when I got my AWC thundertrap I was a noob to NFA. In fact, in hindsight I would have bought my FN SPRa1, cut it to 18", and put it on there... as opposed to buying a complete rifle, scope and all.

That being said my rifle shoots EXTREMELY well, and I think the AWC Thundertrap is still a great piece.
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Re: AWC

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

brazos609 wrote:How old are the AWC suppressors those gunshow dealers have on their tables? I have seen alot of people selling discontinued models at gunshows. Models out of production for years and they are still asking full retail.
They all looked like recent models, have seen it all on there web sight. but who knows how long it has ben in there safe. as for price they where not posted and I did not ask. They guys where expanding to some people that you can own suppressors. But I do know that I payed $800 for my nexus 2 and that was 2 years ago. and I had to wait 3 months for the dealer to get it in.
griff
Silent But Deadly

Post by griff »

My dealer talked up awc like it was the best there was also. I became very untrusting of dealers after my experience with Russel Jones in allentown. Bought an extreemly overpriced awc nexus off him, and then he really ripped me off for a ps90. It seems that anyone that has delt with him only does it a few times when they are new to NFA before they go else where. I was supposed to be buying a new awc nexus...when my paperwork went through i came to pick it up, i could tell its been used plenty of times. My new dealer carries a lot of different names for suppressors, but he says he reccoments awc due to their good customer service, and they are built pretty rugged. I know from experience its real easy to get someone on the phone with awc. I just paid for an awc agenda 6, I really liked the way it looked on the mp5 and if I run out of ammo i can beat someone with it (its built like a tank). Hopefully I didnt fall into a dealers sales pitch. Ill update when i get my forms back!
never follow