Is SilencerCo Osprey quietest 45 suppressor now?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

a22silensir
Silent Operator

Is SilencerCo Osprey quietest 45 suppressor now?

Post by a22silensir »

Hi all, Nice informative site! I'm fairly new to the silencer scene and am in search of a 45 can. Recently I got my first takedown .22 can and its the SilencerCo Sparrow. I was fortunate to be able to test the top 3 through friends; Sparrow, Spectre and Element , I must say I couldnt hear a difference mounted on my Buckmark and Ruger MarkII between the three mounted on TacSolutions barrels. So I chose the Sparrow cuz its lighter and the easiest to clean plus priced the best. Also its a plus when a company answers the phone and emails when a customer has a question. The Spectre was just too heavy and like the element needs to be cleaned often as I gather to ensure baffle removal. Also the Spectre was like a lead pipe hanging off my 4oz Buckmark barrel, but I like the fact it can withstand the dip. All three are winners nonetheless. Anyway, this time I dont have the luxury to test the top 3 .45 cans, which I understand are the Osprey, aac black tirant and HTG-cycle2. I read Paulsons testing on the HTG and he mentioned the Cycle-2 is the first hearing safe dry 45 can on the market, yet I keep seeing AAC ads in the magazines claiming they are the first but I cant find anyone who has a black tirant to hear. My local dealer has the Osprey in stock and I have read and heard that over the winter SilencerCo has knocked 2 more db off by tweaking the baffles to make their unit even quieter than when Jon Tisworth tested the prototype from the independant research site last December where the black tirant edged out the Osprey by 1/2db. So has this been verified that the Osprey is now 1-2db quieter than the black tirant? Wet, the htg cycle 2 I recall was 126 db by Paulson, aac lists their 45 125db wet. Silencerco lists and was verified in the latest Combat Handguns mag= 123db wet. All are around 133 dry I understand. So -30db dry and -40db wet roughly for all three. Given a 45 round barks about 163db unsuppressed. Anyone have any of the units to compare and verify? Initially the $1,295 price tag on the black tirant turned me off, but now that the price has dropped to compete with the Osprey I'm interested. If the aac unit is considerably quieter I'll go for it, but if its still 1/2db quieter I may as well go for the Osprey being its in stock and its design is pretty neat. Being I'd probably save money not having to buy high sights and not having to deal with a form 3. So, anyone know if the research test is still accurate or is the Osprey the new quiet king? input on any of three would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot guys!
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

They both are great cans, from two great manufacturers. I'd go with the osprey as you can get the ball rolling now as your dealer has it in stock already. You mentioned not wanting to replace your sights, what host do you plan on using?
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

yeah I guess it depends some on the host you use.. I am using mine on a USP-T so I dont have to worry about site clearance, and my other host is a UMP clone where I dont really think an osprey would look very cool on... It would look cool on the USP, but I am not sold on the look completely.. Another thing you have to look at is quality. I think silencerco is a great up and coming company, but AAC has the experience and the can is made of titanium. However they both have warranties so it just depends on the preference now :? and there is no confirmation on the decible change from silencerco, that is all hearsay until both cans are tested together under the same conditions, so dont just assume that is correct
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

But as recall in that article didn't they do comparisons of their baffle stack in house with their own meters and then have Titsworth independantly confirm the baffle stacks and all matched withing 1/2 db - and frankly from my experience it' hard to hear a 2 db difference in sounds with a naked ear.

Given sounds very much the same, customer service is similar, and price is much the same I'd be deciding on availability and features - do you want lower bore of Osprey or Titanium construction of Ti-rant, personally I'd probably go Osprey just for the unique indexable low bore design.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
GSRswapandslow
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GSRswapandslow »

the Thompson machine QMF is the heat....check out the youtube comparison they did...
mcinfantry
Silent But Deadly

Post by mcinfantry »

The answer is yes. It is the quietist can. The ti-rant 45 is and remains vaporware. Not one single can has shipped to any civilian that anyone is aware of.

That is fact.
a22silensir
Silent Operator

Post by a22silensir »

As far as the material I dont think it really matters that one has titanium and one has high grade aluminum being centerfire ammo is fairly clean and I wont be using harsh chemicals to clean it like a filthy rimfire can would need. I Forgot to mention my 45 hosts are the Sig P220 Combat, which already has high night nights, then my carry unit the Glock 30 which has the standard height night sights. Are HKs the quietest platform generally? Seems like cans get tested on them the most. Also, I found out I can get a 9mm mount to plug into the 45 can from SilencerCo. I read they tested that configuration and it was measured 130db. Pretty impressive given a 35 cal bullet flying out of a .50 cal exit hole. Will aac be offering 9mm mounts to adapt to the 45 tirant? So you say no tirants are in the hands of customers? well, then unless I wanna pay for a form 3 transfer and wait a long time I guess my option is becoming clear. Still interested in a new head to head testing though. thanks again
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

The consensus is that the Sig lockup is the quietest pistol action.
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

The Ti-RANT .45 is the Quietest .45 handgun silencer. It also has a NSN. It is currently in military service.

More steak, less sizzle.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Kevin/AAC wrote:More steak, less sizzle.
Kevin/AAC wrote:We are getting pretty good at this whole party/shoot/maxim girls/fun stuff thing.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Osprey made AAC drop thier prices, I know that much.

FWIW, unless the gap is >3db, it's not that big a deal.

Pick the one you want.
NFAtalk.org
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

AAC could not pick an aggressive price because there was not a sense of the production cost before it was made. Ti is expensive in smaller quantities. Once the military placed a large order, and we knew we could order an entire mill run of Ti, the final price could be established. So what lowered the price was a customer buying a lot of them.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

rsilvers wrote:AAC could not pick an aggressive price because there was not a sense of the production cost before it was made. Ti is expensive in smaller quantities. Once the military placed a large order, and we knew we could order an entire mill run of Ti, the final price could be established. So what lowered the price was a customer buying a lot of them.
Aaaaaand if Silencerco didn't come out with the Osprey would AAC have lowered the price out of the goodness of their hearts and then left the rifle suppressor prices unchanged? :D

Since the commercial TiRant is still vaporware, I'd say the Osprey is the quietest on the market. After the TiRant comes out I'd say get which one you want based on looks/brand preference/availability.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Mageever wrote:
rsilvers wrote:AAC could not pick an aggressive price because there was not a sense of the production cost before it was made. Ti is expensive in smaller quantities. Once the military placed a large order, and we knew we could order an entire mill run of Ti, the final price could be established. So what lowered the price was a customer buying a lot of them.
Aaaaaand if Silencerco didn't come out with the Osprey would AAC have lowered the price out of the goodness of their hearts and then left the rifle suppressor prices unchanged? :D

Since the commercial TiRant is still vaporware, I'd say the Osprey is the quietest on the market. After the TiRant comes out I'd say get which one you want based on looks/brand preference/availability.
THIS.
NFAtalk.org
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I am sorry that the supply has not caught up with all orders. I believe once a batch of one parts is done it will free them all up to ship.
JPratt06
Silent But Deadly

Post by JPratt06 »

Isn't the Tirant a good deal longer than most .45 cans? How much longer is it than the Osprey?
ΜΟΛΩÎ
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

JPratt06 wrote:Isn't the Tirant a good deal longer than most .45 cans? How much longer is it than the Osprey?
Shorter than most .45s.. .7" longer than osprey45.

Kick Ass Design
Theprofessor
Silent Operator

Post by Theprofessor »

I've been able to shoot the Osprey 45 and it is one hell of a can. Get it!
JPratt06
Silent But Deadly

Post by JPratt06 »

JasonAAC wrote:
JPratt06 wrote:Isn't the Tirant a good deal longer than most .45 cans? How much longer is it than the Osprey?

That's the 9mm Tirant next to 9mm cans. I was asking about the .45 Tirant compared to other .45 cans.
ΜΟΛΩÎ
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Why so blue?

JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

JPratt06 wrote:
JasonAAC wrote:

..snip...

That's the 9mm Tirant next to 9mm cans. I was asking about the .45 Tirant compared to other .45 cans.
oh, right. brainfart.

Silencerco doesn't list the length of the .45 Osprey. Ti-Rant 45 is 8.74"
Kick Ass Design
a22silensir
Silent Operator

Post by a22silensir »

I seem to recall the tape measure at my dealer measured the Osprey 45 right at 8" and the 9mm Osprey at 7". I like the fact those cans dont dwarf most hosts. Its just an ideal, but I'd like my cans not to exceed the length of the host's slide if possible. Are the first batch of 45 Tirants spoken for, reserved primarily for the folks who paid for their tirants last year? If so, when will the 2nd batch be available? This summer? If I cant get a tirant in hand by the end of the summer , meaning I need to start on the paperwork very soon, I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on the in-stock Osprey very soon, by next week, before someone snatches it. thanks for the help
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

JasonAAC wrote:Silencerco doesn't list the length of the .45 Osprey.
The Osprey 40/45 are 8.0625" (according to the Form 3 from Silencerco).
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

My Mk.45 is 8.5" long at the moment, including the piston out back, but I think it could be shortened to 8" if the wipe module is removed. It would also cut manufacturing down by one step.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
SUB-MG
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SUB-MG »

MAJ MALFUNCTION wrote:
JasonAAC wrote:Silencerco doesn't list the length of the .45 Osprey.
The Osprey 40/45 are 8.0625" (according to the Form 3 from Silencerco).
That matches up with the length on their website.

http://www.silencerco.com/Silencerco/#/45Osprey_Specs/
B&R Guns
FFL/SOT
Lees Summit, MO
http://WWW.BRGUNS.COM