B&T TP9 - Suppressed use, mags, impulse, and general inf

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Re: B&T TP9 - Suppressed use, mags, impulse, and general inf

Post by fstbk65 »

I've had my eye on this gun for a while and was wondering what it would take to suppress it with that unique 3 lug. I'm glad I found this post. Just throwing this idea out there though. What if you extended the barrel so there was a threaded muzzle that you could use a Trident LCD on? Would the fact that the silencer was directly attached to the barrel slow the action of the gun so the smaller volume wouldn't bother it but the LCD still let the recoil action work?
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

I dont't think it would be practical.

The end of the barrel is shaped like an inverted cone (think efp shape charge IED with a hole in the middle).

The extension would need to thread with that, and be flush to ride in the barrel guide, and would rotate with the barrel. It might work, and the extra rotating mass would increase the rotational inertial resistance, but I still don't know what percentage of impulse the flat barrel surface inflenced relative to the additive values of that and the overall barrel volume. In theory, it might work, but it might be a long shot.

Also, if you F--k up your barrel, you will not find another lol

Steyr and B&T did it with big ass cans instead, and that's what I'll be doing when the form 4 clears for my Thompson can.
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering
csfirearms
Silent But Deadly

Post by csfirearms »

Well while I'm waiting for my Rotex I did some work on my front grip on my TP9. Made it more like the MP9 with the molding grip. Trying to get that foregrip angle.

CSF

I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

CS, I love the grip angle!

I assume you used a premade rail? Which one, and what was the spacing on he screws? It looks great.
Shea
Silent Operator

Post by Shea »

csfirearms,

I agree, looks awesome!!! So how do I get it done on
mine!!!

Thanks,
Shea
csfirearms
Silent But Deadly

Post by csfirearms »

este wrote:CS, I love the grip angle!

I assume you used a premade rail? Which one, and what was the spacing on he screws? It looks great.
I used a YHM short rail and machine a little off it. I didn't want to drill holes in the gun so I milled a new hole in the rail to line up with the ones on the gun. Drilled and tapped the hole (10-32) and installed nuts on the inside for extra support for the grip. The grip itself is a KZ aluminum grip with a flatside that I machined to length and I also installed a rubber cap so I can store extra parts, batteries or copies of NFA paperwork. it was a fun project. If you guys want more pics of the work let me know.

CSF
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

TOOL1075 wrote:I dont't think it would be practical.

The end of the barrel is shaped like an inverted cone (think efp shape charge IED with a hole in the middle).

The extension would need to thread with that, and be flush to ride in the barrel guide, and would rotate with the barrel. It might work, and the extra rotating mass would increase the rotational inertial resistance, but I still don't know what percentage of impulse the flat barrel surface inflenced relative to the additive values of that and the overall barrel volume. In theory, it might work, but it might be a long shot.

Also, if you F--k up your barrel, you will not find another lol

Steyr and B&T did it with big ass cans instead, and that's what I'll be doing when the form 4 clears for my Thompson can.
I guess if the gun actually uses that cone shaped muzzle to aid in recoil for operation my idea wouldn't work. But that pic you posted of the canadian model had a regular looking muzzle which would suggest that it doesn't need the cone shape to work. The extra mass that the gun would have to operate with however may be a problem. But like with any handgun you add a silencer too it still seems to work.
Shea
Silent Operator

Post by Shea »

CSF,

Yes please more detailed pics!!! That has been my
only problem with the gun as it looks so much better
now with your new rail!!!

Thank you-
Shea
csfirearms
Silent But Deadly

Post by csfirearms »

I used a short YHM rail that is for there forearm rail system. I still have my eye out for one that will fit without machining but I'm not holding my breath. On the front of the rail I removed one slot completely and took the second rib flush to the bottom of the rib. Added a hole to install the new screw. Then I tapped the holes using a 10-32 tap. After everything was installed I added 10-32 nuts to the inside for extra support. I did not drill new holes are did any damage to the gun so I can always add the old rail system to the gun.

Pic 1 is the rail I used before I milled it. (i use that rail also for the side rail on the upper receiver)
Pic 2 is the rail after being milled
Pic 3 is the nuts on the inside

CSF

Shea
Silent Operator

Post by Shea »

CSF,

Thank you for the additional pics!! Really, really nice.
So is there any way I could pay you to make one for
mine?

Thanks,
Shea
csfirearms
Silent But Deadly

Post by csfirearms »

Shea wrote:CSF,

Thank you for the additional pics!! Really, really nice.
So is there any way I could pay you to make one for
mine?

Thanks,
Shea

Well I plan on trying a different rail to see if that works better. So after I figure which one i like better you have dids on the other. How does that sound?

CSF
Shea
Silent Operator

Post by Shea »

CSF,

Sounds great just let me know when and where to
send you funds.

Thanks,
Shea
Marcus85

Post by Marcus85 »

I have a TP9 with a TROS 1/2x28 mount would I need a fixed barrel spacer or a booster to run a Silencerco Osprey on it?
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Marcus85 wrote:I have a TP9 with a TROS 1/2x28 mount would I need a fixed barrel spacer or a booster to run a Silencerco Osprey on it?
Yes. Also, let me know how that works, I want to do the same with my Osprey45!
Marcus85

Post by Marcus85 »

Just ordered a SWR Octane 9 HD for the TP9, I'm still going to try the Osprey as well when I get them both in.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I'll be curious to see know the Octane works on the TP9. I hope you have realistic expectations.

See, I have a Form1 can that is very similar to an MK9K. Instead of flat-ish cone baffles like the MK9K uses, I got permission from SWR to make Omega baffles. So, basically, I have large diameter baffles with lots of volume, and a big expansion chamber, and I'm STILL getting a bit of blowback. Perhaps the Octane will work better even though it's smaller diameter and volume. I'm not sure. That's mainly why I want to try a 45 can on it too.

When I say a bit, I mean a little, but it's a lot more than my MP5 with the same can.

Also, note I've only tried it once, and the it was the can's first day out, so things may have settled and are working better now. I know for sure the can has gotten quieter on the MP5.
Marcus85

Post by Marcus85 »

I reread your report and I've got two upper's, a TP9 and an MP9 so I'll use the TP upper for testing when my suppressors finally get here. All the metal parts on mine are hard chrome finished by Metaloy so maybe it wont be so bad.
kogashuko
Silent But Deadly

Post by kogashuko »

I have been watching this thread because I was considering building a MP5k clone but then saw some good deals on BT9s. I understand the hangup is getting the adapter for the SWR cans. Also, anyone fire both and find the MP5k any quieter because of the delayed action?
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I have an MK9K-Clone that I built that goes on my MP5 and my TP9.

I've only shot it once with the TP9 though, it's gotten pretty cold, and I'm a pussy when it comes to cold. So I need a little more time with it to get a better impression. Off hand, I would say the TP9 is a touch bit louder than my fullsize mp5, and a touch more blowback for the shooter.

I need to test more though. That said, the TP9 is lighter and smaller than the K. However, if you don't have a fullsize MP5 or an SD, I would recommend you buy the K as it's going to be a sure buy.

All that said, if I had to do it over, I'd probably just own one K.
Last edited by este on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
csfirearms
Silent But Deadly

Post by csfirearms »

Rotex is still going strong!!

CSF
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

kogashuko wrote:I have been watching this thread because I was considering building a MP5k clone but then saw some good deals on BT9s. I understand the hangup is getting the adapter for the SWR cans. Also, anyone fire both and find the MP5k any quieter because of the delayed action?
They are both a delayed action. They just delay different ways. I have a MKE k model and absolutely love it though. I run a Trident on it with no issues and it sounds great. That said, the BT9 is on my lottery list. For some reason I just really like it. I've not even shot one!
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

The only thing that would be better is if it was f/a.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith