Spectre Issues

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Spectre Issues

Post by ThePatriot »

I mostly shoot the Spectre on my P22, mostly. The barrel on my 10/22 has a longer threaded area and because of the buildup past the P22 threads I can't thread all the way on the 10/22. Is it safe to shoot when it is threaded about 2/3 of the way on the 10/22? Is it safe to bead blast the threads like I do the baffles?
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

Copper brush?
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
dj_fatstyles
Silent But Deadly

Post by dj_fatstyles »

personally, i wouldnt try it, i may cause the threads to wear prematurely. but dont quote me on that cos i use a steel brush to clean the threading on my suppressors. i start around half way down the brush and "thread" the suppressor onto the brush while applying pressure to the brush. cleans off the threads and the bristles get down into the threading very well for me. good luck
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Carefully run a lubricated 1/2x28 tap through the mount.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Re: Spectre Issues

Post by wildfowler »

ThePatriot wrote:Is it safe to shoot when it is threaded about 2/3 of the way on the 10/22?
I called SWR because I was having the exact same issue with my Spectre when I wanted to use it on my rifle (with the longer thread depth). They told me I may be in danger of a baffle strike if the can wasn't threaded all the way down.

It would be nice to have a second thread mount for use specifically with the rifle. I don't remember if SWR said they were unable to send me a second thread mount legally or what the reason was. I don't have an extra one and have to clean the existing thread mount thoroughly before using on the rifle.

It is safe to "dip" the threaded mount.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

I use a slightly undersized .5x28 tap.
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

chili17 wrote:I use a slightly undersized .5x28 tap.
Did you buy or modify? I need exactly this.
no4mk1t
Silent But Deadly

Post by no4mk1t »

I have this issue all the time when swapping the can between a 22RF AR and my other hosts that have a shorter threaded portion of the barrel. I use a M14 chamber brush to clean the threads on the can, and have had no problems as a result. Just brush the threads of the can after use on a barrel with a shorter threaded mount, and you're GTG. Do it each time and don't let it build up.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
Harry S. Truman
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

I'll try a brush if I can find mine. I don't clean my guns much and haven't used/seen my brushes in months. Thanks guys
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

I will award 25 cool points to whoever names the movie reference in my first post.

-Edmund Kemper
brazos609
Silent But Deadly

Post by brazos609 »

You mean the diner dialog quote from Heat that is your signature? Your avatar is a pretty big hint.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

no, in my post paragraph, not my signature.
Last edited by ThePatriot on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Edmund Kemper
Plunky
Silent But Deadly

Post by Plunky »

ThePatriot wrote:I will award 25 cool points to whoever names the movie reference in my first post.
Heat...
In the sig anyway...
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

We'd better get back, 'cause it'll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night... mostly.

Aliens...1986

My mommy says I have a photogenic memory...I do not correct my mother!
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

You are now cooler than ever Yugo :D I was just curious to see who had a common interest in movies. This thread seems dead but I'll have to nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

-Edmund Kemper
hemi
Silent But Deadly

Post by hemi »

ETA: Evidently I can't hot link pics from that site.
Last edited by hemi on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

finn wrote:
chili17 wrote:I use a slightly undersized .5x28 tap.
Did you buy or modify? I need exactly this.
modified one
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
gthirteen
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gthirteen »

any how did you modify the undersized tap?
hemi
Silent But Deadly

Post by hemi »

What the hell happened to my last post? I did not throw a Miley Cyrus photo in here. =(
Eight
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eight »

The first thing I thought of as I read your initial post was Aliens. I wasn't sure if you did that on purpose until I read the whole thread.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

And don't you feel dumber for reading it. And Hemi, bitch, you just got jacked bitch! :D

From Aliens to Family guy......I need to get out more.

-Edmund Kemper
johnnywitt
Senior Silent Operator

Post by johnnywitt »

ThePatriot wrote:And don't you feel dumber for reading it. And Hemi, bitch, you just got jacked bitch! :D

From Aliens to Family guy......I need to get out more.
This is super common. All you need to do is use a .45 cal bore brush and some solvent or CLP (doesn't matter) and twist the brush through the threads just like your screwing in in. Then, pull it out hard and this will break loose any carbon/lead solvent on the threads.

I use a Dewey brush that made a Synthetic instead of a brass. Brass isn't going to hurt the steel threads though. Also, take a bronze toothbrush and clean your host mount threads.

When you shoot your guns at the range shoot the gun that has the longest threadmount first. Then work your way backwards to shorter threadmounts and you won't have to do this at the range/wherever.
Or, just make sure all your .22 host have the same OAL threads, usually .400". I did this and then I got the Tac Sol M4 AR Upper which has like .600" threads or something for screwing on the FH with a crush washer- they have to be long.
Lastly, the real solution to this problem is having about 15 .22 suppressors laying around in your safe. :lol:
Last edited by johnnywitt on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SigOwner
Silent But Deadly

Post by SigOwner »

Could a person make a "thread spacer" that would screw onto the longer threads and take up the extra space? I don't see why it couldn't be done as long as it is done well. Basically you just need a "short" thread protector; something that screws on and seats against the shoulder of the barrel thread, and still leaves .400" of open threads.
wragarand
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wragarand »

ThePatriot wrote:I will award 25 cool points to whoever names the movie reference in my first post.
Aliens
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Too late but your still cool :wink: . I cleaned it with a 9mm brush, it worked.

-Edmund Kemper