Is this possible or legal?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

JumboShrimp

Is this possible or legal?

Post by JumboShrimp »

Hi All -new here but have a Mac-11 with a Bowers can so I know a 'little' about this stuff. Here's my question

I have a CZ 75D Compact as a daily carry gun. bought a Kadet kit to save some $$ at the range. Would like to extend and thread both a 9 and 22LR barrel and suppress the gun IN BOTH CALIBERS.
Would I need 2 new cans (plus the stamps and L O N G wait) or does someone make a convertible can? It would be easy to have different end caps and guts that ya could just swap out when shooting either 9 or 22LR - Sounds Simple but is it legal?

Thanks
JS
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, NOT a Government Agency!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

the search feature will yield many posts on this topic

swapping calibers is legal elsewhere

multi caliber is legal here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
JumboShrimp

Post by JumboShrimp »

Thanks for the reply - I tried the search with (apparently wrong) keywords like 'dual', 'multi' etc. got any suggestions? I'm a big fan of searching in forums but hit a wall here?!
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, NOT a Government Agency!
DeltaPDesign
Silent Operator

Bowers can

Post by DeltaPDesign »

If you want, call bowers. He may be leaving for the SAR show soon, so call asap. He makes a new line of adapters for all his cans, and he makes a pretty decent .22 can.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Buy a Thompson Machine Poseidon. That can has been tested for both calibers, it is small, attractively priced, and it is the hot new item around here.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
JumboShrimp

Post by JumboShrimp »

Lava - Thanks for the reply.
I'll get a hold of him (& Bowers).

I assume that I would buy a 9mm can and when I use it on 22LR the bullet just exits a bigger hole? - no swapping of end cap or guts? That's REALLY my question - I guess if it quiets a 9 it'll surely work on a rim fire round - right??
Thanks again
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

JumboShrimp wrote:Lava - Thanks for the reply.
I'll get a hold of him (& Bowers).

I assume that I would buy a 9mm can and when I use it on 22LR the bullet just exits a bigger hole? - no swapping of end cap or guts? That's REALLY my question - I guess if it quiets a 9 it'll surely work on a rim fire round - right??
Thanks again
It uses end wipes, so the bigger hole will not really be much of an issue.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

22LR sound ok thru 9mm cans the wiped ones will sound better
DTA Nano and the aforementioned Posidion would do well but are "WET" cans that need to be refilled with water or other ablative to keep sound down.

video provided by Major Malfunction - see vender's section - of YHM cleanable can designed to be shot dry

http://vimeo.com/1925623

with the filth 22LR leaves behind you want a cleanable 9mm can.

On a CZ host you will need a Inertial decoupler/Nielson/LID so the 9m will function normally unless you get a really light can.

you might want to consider having other weapons set up with threads as well (9mm carbines, 357 levergun, 22LR's) make the most of your suppressors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uetMfG0rkdA

And of course you'll need to find long barrels that are threaded or can be threaded (1/2x28 normally) - you can also see ADCO or TROS or Tornado about doing an extention to your existing barrel.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Walkure
Silent Operator

Post by Walkure »

The absolute best (dry) 9mm cans aren't suited for extended use with .22LR as they can't be disassembled for cleaning. .22 can lead up cans pretty fast.

However, you can still get a pretty good can in something like the YHM Cobra M2 9mm, which can be taken apart by the end-user for cleaning, thus lending itself to .22 usage as well.

As to barrel threading - ADCO just recently did my 75B, which turned out great. However, suppressing a CZ carry gun is something I'd be hesitant about. Standard CZ barrels have an OD that is too small to give enough shoulder to index on (with standard 1/2x28 threads). Thus, they require an extra adapter - an adapter which either needs to be either (a) semi-permanently mounted to the barrel or (b) permanently or semi-permanently mounted to the booster piston (or other mount, but CZ pistols need a booster to function...).

The former solution is great for a general-use pistol where you don't mind having the extra threaded portion (and the hassle of needing a wrench for disassembly) - but would be a huge PITA for a EDC gun. For the latter solution, you could get a standard 75B barrel, have it fitted, thread it with smaller-diameter threads, then get an adapter made and loctite/rockset the adapter into an extra piston. You maintain the ease of maintenance and barrel changes on your pistol at the expense of the hassle of requiring piston changes when using the can on anything but that specific pistol.
SWR Spectre
SWR Trident9
SWR Specwar 556
JumboShrimp

Post by JumboShrimp »

Great help guys!!
I may be stuck with suppressing JUST the 22 Kadet - gotta be enough metal there to thread and still have a shoulder for the can to index on.

I agree with not putting extra length on the CZ compact PCR - would push it over the line for an EDC gun in terms of concealablity & comfort plus I wondered if there was enough meat on the barrel to thread it safely. (I think you know I'm not intending to EDC a Suppressed gun - this whole thing is just for fun)

Not being a gunsmith I need a little help with terminology....

booster piston??

Inertial decoupler/Nielson/LID ??

Thanks SO much for your time and talent - gotta love forums with people like you all!!
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

we are talking about a suppressor that is mounted but decoupled (ie not one solid unit) this is to allow the tilt barrel to function normally - the reason they have different names is because they have been created by different people/companies to do the same thing so are given different names for sales purposes.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

My search was simple, search for "all terms" using the words "change caliber".

You get more hits than apply but if you have the patience to sift through them you'll find similar results.

An example.
viewtopic.php?t=45472&highlight=change+baffles

Yes, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here (don't count me, I don't).

LCD == LID == Nielsen Device ... depends on who you buy, some are integral, some are adapters.

The Nielsen is the booster AFAIK ... it's a spring loaded recoil booster.

<edit>
Oops, sorry to step on you art, I was composing while you were answering.
</edit>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

no problemo

here's some links discussing boosters
viewtopic.php?t=47533&highlight=lid

viewtopic.php?t=42518&highlight=lid
JumboShrimp

Post by JumboShrimp »

GREAT links! - THANKS!!
And I thought this would be simple - guess I should have known better! Still not sure about the decoulper - might have to actually see one to understand it but it DOES make sense.
I'll keep lurking
JS
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

Sounds like the Thompson Machine Poseidon will do you and your wallet just fine
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

chingon wrote:Sounds like the Thompson Machine Poseidon will do you and your wallet just fine
This guy is new to this hobby and you guys are recommending a wiped can? Don't forget to tell him he has to shoot it wet all the time and the wipes will ruin accuracy.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Schulze wrote:
chingon wrote:Sounds like the Thompson Machine Poseidon will do you and your wallet just fine
This guy is new to this hobby and you guys are recommending a wiped can? Don't forget to tell him he has to shoot it wet all the time and the wipes will ruin accuracy.
Well actually I recommended a dry suppressor that can be cleaned.
Wiped can's using 22LR can be shot many times before refilling required as I understand it but I don't own a Nano or Posiden, yet... :)

About the accuracy of your can Schulze,
what accuracy are you getting with your wiped can?
Is your a Nano or Posiden or Hush Puppy or who's?
What material are you using for wipes? Have you tried other materials?
When you make your wipes do you put a shaped cut in them before putting them in your can?