Offshore machine work

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

tuckerrnr1
Silent But Deadly

Offshore machine work

Post by tuckerrnr1 »

Can any part of a silencer be made over seas and imported as an unfinished part or must all components be made in the US?
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/19283938/kookaid.gif[/img]
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

Unfinished part? So, you are calling it a silencer part, or you aren't calling it a silencer part?
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

I think he means like tubes, or how complete can a baffle be before it's considered a baffle legally, etc.
tuckerrnr1
Silent But Deadly

Post by tuckerrnr1 »

BWT, you are correct.
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/19283938/kookaid.gif[/img]
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Hey when you order those Aluminum shotglasses, you want to add half a dozen for me :lol:
tuckerrnr1 wrote:Can any part of a silencer be made over seas and imported? NO, unless imported for .GOV or .MIL or Dealer sample for same.
tuckerrnr1 wrote:All components must be made in the US? Correcct, for private party ownership is my understanding
Now what you make those components out of can come from any source IE Japanese blank rod, Canadian parts for a motor, Tubing from Europe - it wouldn't matter as long as it's not a Silencer part when imported and I would assume (you know what that means) that it has to be like firearms parts/forgings of receivers etc. and only be 80% complete.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

I would expect it not to be a silencer part, i.e., not useable in a silencer, as long as no bore hole is drilled through.

That being said, maybe constructive intent could come into play?
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

Offhand, my first instinct is that ITAR regulations are going to F--k you in the ass.

"So what you're saying is that you sent small arms technology outside of the country without clearing it through the State Department?"

I could be wrong, but it'd be enough to make me be very cautious, as even just drawings fall under restriction IIRC.
Your Mom.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Anything is possible. It just may need an import permit.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

MisterWilson wrote:Offhand, my first instinct is that ITAR regulations are going to F--k you in the ass.

"So what you're saying is that you sent small arms technology outside of the country without clearing it through the State Department?"

I could be wrong, but it'd be enough to make me be very cautious, as even just drawings fall under restriction IIRC.
Is this true? So I couldn't legally buy or sell detailed suppressor designs over the internet?

:cry:

There goes my ambition to become a successful suppressor designer.
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

I didn't say you couldn't, only that I believe that there is likely some red tape involved to do it from this side of the free world.
Your Mom.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

MisterWilson wrote:I didn't say you couldn't, only that I believe that there is likely some red tape involved to do it from this side of the free world.
I know, but it makes me feel bad that I have been studying American suppressor technology through the Internet over the years, without knowing I needed to acquire a permit to do so.
I guess I will have to apply for one or something, and hope they don't get too mad at me for having downloaded stuff without previously having a permit. :(
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

Why would American laws require you to get a permit? I don't believe that you would have any issues unless you were selling finished suppressors, in which case there would probably only be a bit of importation paperwork (on this side, don't know what you'd need in Guat-land).
Your Mom.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

MisterWilson wrote:Why would American laws require you to get a permit? I don't believe that you would have any issues unless you were selling finished suppressors, in which case there would probably only be a bit of importation paperwork (on this side, don't know what you'd need in Guat-land).
Oh cool. I'm relieved. I guess here I'd need to get established as a manufacturer, I had a copy of the laws on that somewhere, for when I need it...
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

What exactly is the deal with the 80% ?
http://www.rh-custom.net/index.php?cPat ... cbc4bd5c6a
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

The rule I stick by is: "If you have to ask, the ATF will F--k you over somehow."
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

chingon wrote:What exactly is the deal with the 80% ?
http://www.rh-custom.net/index.php?cPat ... cbc4bd5c6a
Legally there's no such thing as 80%.

In terms of importation, probably not. There's a rule on forgings and castings that would make it problematic.

But then again, this is the world of imports. I spent five excruciating hours last week listening to one of ATF's import examiners lecture on how the process works, and the take home lesson was "this s--t does not make sense, and it will not make sense, so don't bother trying".