Cycling issues with Glock 34 + can?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

fizassist
Silent Operator

Cycling issues with Glock 34 + can?

Post by fizassist »

Hi Folks,

I just picked up a G34 and had a G17L bbl threaded for it. With my SWR GS9-K2 can, Special K won't cycle in it (short strokes). The GS9-K2 works fine on my G19. Has anybody else had an issue with the G34? Normal and +P 124gr ammo both lock the slide back on an empty mag; special K doesn't. I didn't expect any problems with this combo, but maybe I need to shell out for a reduced recoil spring?

Thanks,
fiz
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would see if it works with normal 147 ammo first. I have given up on Special-K as junk ammo. Many silencer makers love it because it is the quietest, but I won't buy it and AAC does not test with it or use it for their R&D. SWR, SRT, and Gemtech recommend it however and it is the best thing to shoot from a K2. I guess get a reduced spring for now.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Re: Cycling issues with Glock 34 + can?

Post by mpallett »

fizassist wrote:Hi Folks,

I just picked up a G34 and had a G17L bbl threaded for it. With my SWR GS9-K2 can, Special K won't cycle in it (short strokes). The GS9-K2 works fine on my G19. Has anybody else had an issue with the G34? Normal and +P 124gr ammo both lock the slide back on an empty mag; special K doesn't. I didn't expect any problems with this combo, but maybe I need to shell out for a reduced recoil spring?

Thanks,

fiz
I have thousands of rounds through the same thing, G34 with a K3 though, I also had a 17L barrel threaded. That is odd. I would clean the LCD, put a dab of grease on the oring in the cap and shoot away. You should also put some rounds through the stock gun just to see how it it.

PM me if you continue to have issues.
fizassist
Silent Operator

Re: Cycling issues with Glock 34 + can?

Post by fizassist »

mpallett wrote: I have thousands of rounds through the same thing, G34 with a K3 though, I also had a 17L barrel threaded. That is odd. I would clean the LCD, put a dab of grease on the oring in the cap and shoot away. You should also put some rounds through the stock gun just to see how it it.

PM me if you continue to have issues.
Thanks for the info. I did clean/grease the LCD; I even replaced the o-ring. I'll have to wait until Friday to test the G34 without a can at the range. If Special K doesn't work then, I have the answer. Otherwise, I'll drop you a PM.
mpallett

Post by mpallett »

Thanks. Mine doesn't miss a beat with the special K.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Same answer as Matt. This combination works, you need to find out what is off in your setup.
mpallett

Post by mpallett »

Is it a Glock barrel or another brand?
delbert
Silent But Deadly

Post by delbert »

New gun, new barrel, new can? If even one is new it may just need to break in a bit.
fizassist
Silent Operator

Post by fizassist »

delbert wrote:New gun, new barrel, new can? If even one is new it may just need to break in a bit.
The barrel was new. I went to the range this morning and fired about 100 rds without the can (no cycling problems). After that, it did fine with the can on. This was a Storm Lake G17L bbl, btw. I guess I was spoiled by never having to break in my KKM bbls. Not that I'm complaining, considering the difference in price.

As an aside, I really like the G34. I can shoot much faster (sans can) with the same accuracy relative to the G19. It's not very carryable, but it is fun. :D