Dallas Area ClassIII/SOT/NFA/FFL/WTF?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

jbabb
Silent But Deadly

Dallas Area ClassIII/SOT/NFA/FFL/WTF?

Post by jbabb »

I will quite possibly be moving to the Dallas Area (Arlington) this year and want to figure out where all the good Class III dealers are located, as well as all of the "recommended" gun shops.

Can you guys name a few?

- jb -
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Ruger MkII Guru and Collector

- SWR Trident 9
- SWR Spectre
- More Ruger MkII's than you can shake a stick at
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

Texas Small Arms Research is in the Dallas Metro area.

Give Mike a call - he is EXTREMELY knowledgable on everything Class 3.
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Make sure you have a trust or LLC. Hell will freeze over before you get a CLEO signoff, at least that was the case when I lived there (Fort Worth, Bedford-Euless).
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

I just moved to dallas myself, and was disappointed on no Cleo sign off, I've got a trust but expected more of tx. Garland public shooting range seems nice, haven't shot there yet, but visited it. My wife got me a membership to dfw gunrange. There is also a local forum at Texas guntalk and they meet up to shoot every month or so
JudgeJule
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JudgeJule »

I am LE for Dallas PD, and these guys are right, get yourself a trust because it's difficult getting a CLEO signature in this area. I recommend Dallas Subguns (Jim Self), or DFW Arms on W. mockingbird in Dallas for your class 3 needs. JIm lives in the Waxahachie area which is just east of Dallas. Another good dealer is SAW,Inc. near Dallas. Good luck.
Gemtech Blackside, Oasis, Outback II, Raptor; AAC Evo9, Evo9 CQC, Evo45, 762SD, Scarab, Tirant 9; SWR Warlock; AWC Turbodyne, MK9; Silencerco Osprey .45; Soundtech .308 and Fatboy; and John Guns MkIII
jbabb
Silent But Deadly

Post by jbabb »

thanks for the info, guys, anyone know if a CLEO signoff is more attainable if you're a LEO yourself?

- SWR Trident 9
- SWR Spectre
millo2115
Silent But Deadly

Post by millo2115 »

jbabb wrote:thanks for the info, guys, anyone know if a CLEO signoff is more attainable if you're a LEO yourself?
No. I had a Chief that would not sign off on mine.
This is my Shield. I bear it before me in battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow, nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me, facing the enemy.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Renegade.

He's a board member here, PM him.

VERY GTG.
NFAtalk.org
jbabb
Silent But Deadly

Post by jbabb »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:Renegade.

VERY GTG.
Tried PMing him a few weeks ago - no response...

- SWR Trident 9
- SWR Spectre
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

VERY GTG.
FYI - I think chill17 is out by Sanger or Ponder.
torrey

Post by torrey »

Chris Hipes
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
Dallas, TX
FFL/SOT 07/02
[email protected]
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dallas Area ClassIII/SOT/NFA/FFL/WTF?

Post by LawBob »

jbabb wrote:I will quite possibly be moving to the Dallas Area (Arlington) this year and want to figure out where all the good Class III dealers are located, as well as all of the "recommended" gun shops.

Can you guys name a few?

- jb -
Met Jim Self - nice guy. Waxahachie is SOUTH of Dallas of 35, not East.

SAWS, INC is in Mesquite/Sunnyvale EAST of Dallas off HW80/I-30

Chris Hipes is in N. Dallas near SMU off HW75

You can forget CLEO unless you go out a county or two from Dallas/Tarrant (DFW).

Are you MOVING to Arlington, or might work there? You might be able to get CLEO S. of Tarrant County (Ellis or Johnson), or West (Parker).
jbabb
Silent But Deadly

Post by jbabb »

LawBob wrote:
jbabb wrote:I will quite possibly be moving to the Dallas Area (Arlington) this year and want to figure out where all the good Class III dealers are located, as well as all of the "recommended" gun shops.

Can you guys name a few?

- jb -
Met Jim Self - nice guy. Waxahachie is SOUTH of Dallas of 35, not East.

SAWS, INC is in Mesquite/Sunnyvale EAST of Dallas off HW80/I-30

Chris Hipes is in N. Dallas near SMU off HW75

You can forget CLEO unless you go out a county or two from Dallas/Tarrant (DFW).

Are you MOVING to Arlington, or might work there? You might be able to get CLEO S. of Tarrant County (Ellis or Johnson), or West (Parker).
Going to be moving (if I get the job) into metro-Arlington for the first 6-8 months and then hoping to find some land to build/buy a house on out in the county. I keep hearing wonderful things about the area, the stuff about CLEO non-signoff's are the only negative aspect that I have heard thus far

Would love to eventually build my own shooting range with steel plates and get an FFL/SOT - would be very happy with that. REALLY want to find a place that is ~10 acres to do this all on - I know I would be 30-45 minutes from work, but its worth it

- SWR Trident 9
- SWR Spectre
jerrytofdallas
Elite Member

Post by jerrytofdallas »

Jim Self is my go to guy for just about everything class 3. Very professional and a hell of a nice guy to boot. Just for the record he's located southeast of Dallas near Kaufman, Tx. Well worth the short 30 minute drive.

http://www.dallassubguns.com/Site/Welcome.html

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sourc ... CA0Q8gEwAA
M42K,762SD,416SD,Evo40,ScarH,Cyclops,Aviator,5.7,Prodigy,Stinger,Phoenix,UltraII,Spec2K,TT,T3 AAT Badlander,HEMS2,T9,Warlock,Spectre,Universal,Nano,GT,5.7,OasisR,OBII,MKIIIPro,Comanche,Odessa Osprey
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

Bought a suppressor through Jim Self this summer. The Tarrant County Sheriff had no problem doing the sign off. I'm headed down there again today during lunch to get him to sign another one. If it's like last time it'll take about a week for the signed forms to show up in my mailbox.
D.W.Smithers

Post by D.W.Smithers »

If your planning a move to the DFW area it makes a huge difference which county you move to. I live in Rockwall County and the CLEO only asked that I bring my toys by when they clear so he and the boys could play with them. (SBR and Suppressor) I have filed as an Individual, no Trust or Corp! Just across the bridge is DALLAS county and you just will NOT get the signature PERIOD. Have been told the even LEO's can't catch a break but some "Friends Of" might have gotten lucky. Do your research because the trade off between the commute to work vs. the right to keep what hearing you have left might make up your mind! Personally, I will stay right where I am and never complain about the drive in but that's my choice. I have always found the fact that you can walk into a store or gun show and buy guns and ammo then walk out the same day but one must wait months for a suppressor, well governMENTAL. I don't mind paying the TAX and filling out the paperwork but if you legally can purchase a pistol your are legally allowed to own a suppressor, as long as the MAN says it's OK. Good Luck and God speed.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by renegade »

jbabb wrote:

VERY GTG.
Tried PMing him a few weeks ago - no response...
Hmm, never seem to have gotten it.

Sheriffs in Tarrant and Denton will sign forms, as will most small towns and several other counties. Dallas is the only place to avoid.

There are dozens of FFL/SOTs in the DFW area.

Best place for guns is gun shows, but some stores to check are Bachman Pawn & Gun in Dallas, Rays in Dallas, Cheaper Than Dirt in FTW, McKinney, SAW in Mesquite.
Psycho_Smurf

Post by Psycho_Smurf »

Talk to Morgan over at Dallas Shooting Suplies, Very good Guy to Deal With.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Not sure how I missed this post the first time around.

If you make it here, welcome to the neighborhood!

Shooting range, check out Haltom City Rifle & Pistol Club http://www.haltomcityrpc.org/, great club, great bunch of guys there, hard to beat the price for what you get out of it...unless of course you do end up making your own :lol:

Think everyone else got the good shops and such out of the way, I'm a little north of Dallas, but still make it down there to shoot.
jwalk2515

Post by jwalk2515 »

I have talked to (but not yet used) Gary at Swat Firearms and Storrie Parachute in Denton is listed too. For regular ffl/ transfers I use Sporting Arms in Lewisville.