hollow points

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dincote

hollow points

Post by dincote »

can you use hollow points with a can?

or should it just be FMJ

BTW is a 45 pistol.

while at it, how about hollow point rifle rounds .

thanks

Jose
dvanncvann
Silent But Deadly

Post by dvanncvann »

hollow points are fine.
JohnDS
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnDS »

gtg - not with wiped cans though :shock:
heliguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by heliguy »

JohnDS wrote:gtg - not with wiped cans though :shock:
I've seen several references to 'wiped' cans, what exactly are they?
dincote

Post by dincote »

so wet and dry is fine, but not wiped, why not?

thanks

Jose
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Because the bullet must pass through a solid barrier (the wipe) which will cause the hollow point bullet to expand, possibly deflect the bullet and could cause a catastrophic failure in the can or otherwise cause inaccuracies.
If the can has multiple wipes, even more so. The new Thompson Machine mini 9mm wiped can as a wipe right at the blast chamber of the can (right at the muzzle) That would be a huge problem if a hollow point were to hit that first wipe, expand or deflect and take out the entire can.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

heliguy wrote:
A wipe is a material that the bullet will pass through that will help seal in the gases.

Please search this site for "wipe" and check out the DTA nano and the Thompson Machine Poseiden for examples of a wiped can.
heliguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by heliguy »

chrismartin wrote:
heliguy wrote:
A wipe is a material that the bullet will pass through that will help seal in the gases.

Please search this site for "wipe" and check out the DTA nano and the Thompson Machine Poseiden for examples of a wiped can.
Thanks, sounds like a great idea, I'll do a search for more info...
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Well now....A pissy little wipe will cause an HP to expand?

Sure about that one?
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

HP are fine on unwiped pistol cans
wiped cans can vary a lot from a single 1/8 wipe to
many wipes up to 1 inch thick - and material from felt
to self sealing Neoprene or Urathane

Not to mention bullet construction from HP designed for
velocities in 700 fps to over 1400 fps range.

lot of variables to make blanket statement on.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

4 layers of denim, and sheet steel won't cause most HPs to expand, but a wipe will? Or even a few wipes? Anyone have something other than interweb folklore to support this?
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
DemonLlama

Post by DemonLlama »

Seems to me that wipes wouldn't cause expansion but might cause the HP to clog and not expand in the target. Just a thought.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Ben B. easy way to prove it - don't even need a can - just buy some 1/4 sheet Polyurethane from www.mcmaster.com - part 8789K412 is 12x12
http://www.mcmaster.com/#8789k412/=5e84xn 80A rated

then make a frame say out of 2x4 lumber and put sheet on each side - then shoot thru it into something to catch the bullet (pillow filling or whatever) and you can report back to us. Personally I'll believe all the european's who use wipes with holes the size of the hollowpoint and say it can be done but only if you know what your doing and if you don't it will expand.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

A hollow point may be better for a non Wiped can as the base has no exposed lead. Most FMJ has an exposed lead base. (unless it states otherwise, like the Encapsulated Winchester Super Unleaded)

I prefer HP or the Winchester Encapsulated ammo (my favorite) I wish they made the same load but in a HP. What ever powder they use burns soot free and I also get excellent accuracy.

AE is filthy and has an exposed lead base. So does Special-K. I have about 400 rounds of Special K and 600-1000 of AE which is my LEAST favorite 147 gr ammo.

For carry I have 147 gr Ranger Bonded HP (excellent performance) and 1K of Winchester white box HP 147 gr. The ranger is much better but the white box is not to bad either in my expansion testing. The ranger by far out performs the HP Winchester White box.

You will get less lead/powder residue shooting HP or encapsulated ammo. Unless you have a take apart can I would avoid soft lead base bullets.

Some people cut an X in the wipe, some cut a slit, and others punch a .22 hole. I would follow the Mfg advise/instructions.

Since the GemTax provoked clarification letter.. gone is the 50% replacement fee of the AAC cans if you mess them up ... and they also might not be able to "clean" a sealed can.

So I am now anal about my Evo and trying to keep it as clean as I can.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!