What is the best silencer for a H&K HK45?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Reventon

What is the best silencer for a H&K HK45?

Post by Reventon »

Looking to get the best absolute silencer for the HK45. What can you guys recommend? I'm looking at KAC and AAC. I hear good things about the Silencerco Osprey, but I can't stand how it looks. ;(

Thanks for any recommendations. BTW, why does KAC cost so much more than everyone else?
pierre1631
Elite Member

Post by pierre1631 »

AAC TiRant 45 or the SWR HEMS 2. Either one will be a winner!
Silent Industries
FFL/SOT
Madison, AL
256-783-5309
"Not the biggest- Just the best!"
Proud AAC SWR Silencerco Stocking Dealer
In einer Welt der Kompromisse Einige Männer Dont.
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

If you don't like the looks of the Osprey, then the Ti-Rant is the only show in town!
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Whats your budget?

Id choose the AAC TiRant or SWR HEMS2 if you dont like the Osprey.
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

If you care about your warranty, you might check with HK. If you don't buy what they tell you to buy, they'll give you the finger on warranty service.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Selectedmarksman wrote:If you care about your warranty, you might check with HK. If you don't buy what they tell you to buy, they'll give you the finger on warranty service.
So, that would be KAC or B&T then. The KAC is expensive, though cool and highly recommended by those that own them. The B&T is not available in the US (unless you buy a used clone from CCF, which is no longer making them)

If I were buying today, I'd go with the TiRant. With the price drop and level of suppression, it's hard to beat. The Ospry would be second in line. I would still WANT the KAC though. All dimple-y and über-spec-ops.

As for the warrantee issue... I would just not bring up that I own a suppressor.
Really, the slide just cracked. No, I wasn't shooting reloads. Aren't silencers illegal?

If they don't fix it, I just buy another gun. From my perspective, if I was worried about warrantee support, I wouldn't shoot after market parts, work on my own guns, shoot reloads, etc. Right now I'm shooting Glocks, STI's, Sigs, etc. None of which warrantee silencer use, at least officially.
I'm prepared to pay for something if it brakes.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Re: What is the best silencer for a H&K HK45?

Post by Mageever »

Reventon wrote:Looking to get the best absolute silencer for the HK45. What can you guys recommend? I'm looking at KAC and AAC. I hear good things about the Silencerco Osprey, but I can't stand how it looks. ;(

Thanks for any recommendations. BTW, why does KAC cost so much more than everyone else?
Sounds like the Ti-rant is for you then. Hearing safe is the way to go. The KAC can does look cool, but it's a brick and you'll still end up putting water in it when you don't want it to bite your ears. But hey, it really does look cool.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

My HK USPSD started to not fire in DA, only SA. I have shot a truckload of ammo through my EVO-9 in this platform.

I told HK that I used a silencer on it and I would pay for the repair. They fixed it for free, upgarde the match trigger to the new version instead of the old one I had and sent it back, for free.

I may have been the exception to the rule, but felt I should share this story.

As to the OP, Either Osprey or Ti-rant. It's the new "Trident vs Evo".IMHO.
NFAtalk.org
<Mach1
Silent But Deadly

Post by <Mach1 »

Today, go with the Ti-Rant if it fits your budget.
With KAC the cost is because the can is all stainless & requires extensive manufacturing processes. Cast baffles, machining, welding, assembly... built like a tank & not cheap.
Mageever wrote:The KAC can does look cool, but it's a brick and you'll still end up putting water in it when you don't want it to bite your ears. But hey, it really does look cool.
How soon we forget KAC set & maintained the bar in .45 ACP suppression... that was for how many years?
Reventon

Post by Reventon »

Sounds like the Ti-Rant is a good choice, but I am hooked on the looks of the KAC. Will keep you guys posted, but it may be months before I can show you guys anything! ;(

But is the Ti-Rant really that much quieter dry to dry and wet to wet compared to the KAC? Or is it night and day differences?
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

The TiRant and Osprey are the quietest. When choosing a 45 can that is all that matters to me. I love my SWR Trident 9 but would not even consider the HEMSII given how good the other two are. I may piss people off but, forget the KAC. Why pay more for something that is louder?
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
<Mach1
Silent But Deadly

Post by <Mach1 »

http://www.silencerresearch.com/
Well worth the $30 for a premium membership.
Reventon

Post by Reventon »

I am ok with fellow members opinion. I'm not on a spec-op mission, so its not that critical. ;) One thing I have learned at least is that silencers aren't that silent to begin with, so unless there is a silencer that makes this gun quiet like those in the movies than it doesn't matter so much.
zcoston

Post by zcoston »

have a hk ct 45 with a HEMS2 and my dad has a Mark 23 with a knights and our friends say its hard to tell the difference between us when shooting side by side but that is with custom loads
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Reventon wrote:Sounds like the Ti-Rant is a good choice, but I am hooked on the looks of the KAC. Will keep you guys posted, but it may be months before I can show you guys anything! ;(

But is the Ti-Rant really that much quieter dry to dry and wet to wet compared to the KAC? Or is it night and day differences?
to the above question, yes. period. over and out. the new stuff is that much better.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Reventon wrote:I am ok with fellow members opinion. I'm not on a spec-op mission, so its not that critical. ;) One thing I have learned at least is that silencers aren't that silent to begin with, so unless there is a silencer that makes this gun quiet like those in the movies than it doesn't matter so much.
the above is not totally true. movies have given people a false idea of what can sound like. granted some are louder than others but there are for real some spooky quiet stuff being made now. when walking form the main road to the silencer shoot (1/8 mile?) alot of guns were being shot but the lack of expected noise is just retarded.

sub-sonic .308 can be stupid quiet.
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

I've been very happy with my AAC EVO-45. I think something important has been left out of the criteria for choosing a can: POI shift and repeatability.

I have nearly no POI shift and never had any problems with accuracy or repeatability.

The EVO-45 is quiet, but I'm still gonna buy a TiRant 45...and a KAC USP-T 45.
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Reventon wrote:Sounds like the Ti-Rant is a good choice, but I am hooked on the looks of the KAC. Will keep you guys posted, but it may be months before I can show you guys anything! ;(

The KAC can is built like a tank and was groundbreaking and the best for a long time. It is still a very good can, and would be my second choice...

BUT, the sound between it and a Ti-RANT IS night and day.

Now, if we are talking sound, then the Osprey and Ti-RANT are very close, but i like the Ti-RANT for better materials, slightly quieter, proven and less-fiddly mounting system. Plus, the tirant will (IMHO) look and work better if you ever use it on a carbine. FWIW.
Kick Ass Design
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

joshrunkle35 wrote:I've been very happy with my AAC EVO-45. I think something important has been left out of the criteria for choosing a can: POI shift and repeatability.
I have nearly no POI shift and never had any problems with accuracy or repeatability.
That is a really good point- EVERY silencer will introduce some shift- and the Ti-RANT (like the evo) can be adjusted to align and/or minimize that shift.
joshrunkle35 wrote:The EVO-45 is quiet, but I'm still gonna buy a TiRant 45...and a KAC USP-T 45.
That is an AWESOME combo! shot bone dry for 2 straight days inside concrete rooms and no discomfort.

Kick Ass Design
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

It has been my experience that H&K's customer service is horrible. I dont take the loss of a warranty as that big of a deal since it is so hard to get anything done with HK.

I'll wait and see if the production model Ti-Rants are everything they have been hyped to be. If so, I'll be going that route.
Reventon

Post by Reventon »

Guys I ended up buying a HK45 with a factory threaded barrel, however the package came with a KAC Suppressor. I have received the, but have not initiated the transfer of the KAC Suppressor which is on a form 4. I'm thinking about selling the KAC and just waiting out for the AAC Ti-Rant, when does the AAC come out?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

TiRant is the correct choice. Listen to me now and believe me later. A large order was placed for short ones so if you want a louder/shorter one then see if AAC will sell you the military model. Maybe some distibutor will place an order for contract over-runs.
Iansstud
Silent Operator

Post by Iansstud »

I like my new blackside... I cant compare, and this is my 1st suppressor, but it works like a champ!!!
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

The Blackside is problely the worst 45 acp silencer ever made. I also happen to has the misfortune of owning one. It's loud and unreliable. GemTech has offererd a "upgrade" that should be warranty work but they charge IIRC $150 for it. The upgrade is adding a booster.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

rsilvers wrote:TiRant is the correct choice. Listen to me now and believe me later. A large order was placed for short ones so if you want a louder/shorter one then see if AAC will sell you the military model. Maybe some distibutor will place an order for contract over-runs.

I'm a proud KAC can owner and love it dearly, I'm interested if any dealer (Maj??) gets in on some short Ti Rants though. I just got a HK CT and I think that would be cool to have.