Smallest suppressed pistol?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

too_many_hobbies
Senior Silent Operator

Smallest suppressed pistol?

Post by too_many_hobbies »

My daughter just obtained a concealed carry permit. Even though I will buy her one of the small 380 pistols that is easy to conceal, she has requested a bigger framed, more accurate pistol that she can shoot for fun. I am thinking something small enough to be carried in a purse that can double for concealed carry use, but still have the option of adding a threaded barrel for a suppressor.

What is the smallest 9mm pistol that can be used with a suppressor?

Just wandering...any options to suppress a 380?
"When it comes to hunting, I had rather have luck than skill any day."
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Heh, there really are lots.

How is she with recoil? With the stuff some of these guys are coming out with, you can get suppressors on pretty small pistols, which means the recoil is going to be pretty snappy!

Off the top of my head, though, the most readily suppressable 9mm subcompact pistol is the Glock 26. Proven reliability, and you can buy an aftermarket threaded barrel for barely more than a hundred bucks! With enough time and money, of course, you could probably get a suppressor on anything, in just about any caliber. But, if you are just wanting something to buy and shoot, a Glock 26 would be one of your best options.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

I would say find out what she shoots well and enjoys, and go from there.

Try a Glock, M&P, or XD. They've got lots of variety.
too_many_hobbies
Senior Silent Operator

Lindenwood wrote:...How is she with recoil?
She enjoys shooting my USP9SD/Evo9, but I realize that it is a full size pistol. I would say she is not recoil sensitive, but then again she is not a very big girl either. She hunts with me and shoots everything from a crossbow to a Benelli shotgun with TURKEY LOADS.

rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

I'd take her to check out some Kahrs. Either a PM9 or a P9 for the 9mm. They also make a P380 which is about on par with the Keltecs size-wise, except it is a quality made firearm. Sig makes a .380 as well (designated as P238), but the barrel is not readily threadable or extendable, not to mention it's single action (very similiar to a 1911) which would be a downside to some for deep concealment. I'm betting that she would dig the Kahrs.

ETA: All the Kahrs are locked breech designs, rated for +P.
midcountygunshop
Silent Operator

Post by midcountygunshop »

+1 on the Kahr 380. I did a transfer for a fellow on one. They are a bit pricey, but seem very well made. I don't remember what the barrel profile looked like, so I can't say what it would take to attach a can though.
gunn24
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunn24 »

Personally what ever you get her, buy 2 of them so she can wear out the first one. Its not the pistol its the operator. :wink:
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

There's pictures of a Kahr PM9 with a Poseidon on it floating around here somewhere.

A micro can on a Tomcat would probably be pretty damn small as well. Almost forgot the P238

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Black
Silent But Deadly

Post by Black »

I picked up a Sig P238 and I love it. Small enough to easily conceal, but not too small for the hand. I shot a Ruger LCP and it was just too small for me. The Sig feels just right. It's a little more costly than some of the other small .380s, but I think it's worth it. Although I have had no problems with mine, I have heard problems with them on other forums, so keep that in mind. It fits perfectly in my wife's small purse (she doesn't carry, I just tried it for this thread - imagine her surprise when I asked to see her purse :shock:) .

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire

[url=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/Montaska/Firearms/]My Photobucket[/url]
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

How about Glock 26? Here's the same size in .40 (G27) with AAC EVO-40:

GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

I've got a sigP238 also. I love this gun for carry. It's IMO as easy to conceal as a keltec or LCP (owned a Keltec) but really enjoyable to shoot. I know that Degroat Tac threaded one for suppressor use but I believe he said that he wouldn't do it as a service, that it was a pain in the a$$. I hope that in the future threaded barrels will become available for this gun because it would be awesome with a can. I'm holding out for crimson trace grips too. I mean they've got to make them, they've just got to....
too_many_hobbies
Senior Silent Operator

Thanks for all the replies. I posted the question because I have very limited experience with pistols. Until I got into suppressors, I had absolututely no desire for a pistol because they were so loud. My interest in guns in general is mainly from a hunting perspective. This is my definition of a hunting pistol. 8)

I will definitely take my daughter and see what best fits her. After holding my wife's Kel-Tec P3AT, my daughter made the comment that she wanted a bigger framed pistol to shoot for fun. The Kahr PM9 looks like it would serve both purposes, but the Glock 26 may be the best option because it would add some weight to reduce recoil and be easily suppressed. I personally don't like the trigger on a Glock and much prefer the ability to shoot single action with a light trigger pull. But, I will let my daughter make her own decision. One positive fact is that she enjoys shooting and will get in plenty of practice. I might need to consider whether I can afford to supply her with ammo! :shock:
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I suggest the Kahrs and the Sig P238 as they are half as big as the other guns suggested here. The Kahr if you want to shoot real bullets.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

You're a lucky man.

Congrats on having a cool daughter who actually likes guns.

We need a lot more like her around.

I vote glock 27 in 40 then you can put the 9mm threaded conversion barrel in it and she can shoot both calibers. It also excepts high cap mags all the way up to 31rds.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
too_many_hobbies
Senior Silent Operator

I was surprised to see the PM9 offered with Crimson Trace Laserguard...

too_many_hobbies
Senior Silent Operator

Davo5o wrote:...Congrats on having a cool daughter who actually likes guns...
She is a very good hunter. I started her out deer hunting with the crossbow shown in the picture a few posts back. If you look closely, you will notice a custom aluminum mount with a laser mounted where the front sight post originally was. She wasn't strong enough to lift the crossbow to her shoulder to aim so she would simply aim with the laser and shoot with the crossbow rested in her lap. This is her deer from this year.

She will make someone a good wife one of these days, but she may out-hunt her husband. :D
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

too_many_hobbies wrote:I was surprised to see the PM9 offered with Crimson Trace Laserguard...

That one's new to me as of 20 minutes ago in the bathroom. Looks like a winner to me.
cyclesarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by cyclesarge »

Since you are talking about suppressed and you "will" buy her a 380 as well. I'd suggest a Sig P239 tactical. Comes with nite sights, Short Reset Trigger and a threaded barrel for $650.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

oh yeah, that CT laser is going on my PM9/TM Poseidon combo.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
too_many_hobbies
Senior Silent Operator

strobro32 wrote:oh yeah, that CT laser is going on my PM9/TM Poseidon combo.
Please post a picture of the combo...

I think the combination of the Poseidon and the Crimson Trace on the PM9 is the winner. I just hope my daughter likes the combo since I am all excited about buying it for her now. :wink:
too_many_hobbies
Senior Silent Operator

strobro32 wrote:oh yeah, that CT laser is going on my PM9/TM Poseidon combo.
When shooting outside without the optional wipes and without water, is it relatively comfortable to shoot without hearing protection?
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

No first hand experience (I have a Poseidon on a Form 4 now), but they say you do give up a lot without wipes and ablative....it was designed from the ground up to be wet and wiped.

And don't worry, she'll like the PM9...I pretty much guarantee it.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I think of all the DA pistols I've tried, the Kahr and Para triggers are a head above everybody else. Probably several thousand heads above them, actually.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

The PM9 is not the quietest host but it is hearing safe. I have tried it with my Trident and Poseidon and it cycles both without modification. I have not shot the PM9/Poseidon outside. I tested it at an indoor range that my SOT owns. Once my F4 comes back I will do more testing.

I've only shot it with wipes and water. The PM9/Poseidon was hearing safe indoors so outdoors it would be fine. The really interesting advantage to the Poseidon is it is double wiped. It will keep the water/gel/grease for a long time.

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njvQbFMkqQk
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

What did it take to get the PM9 threaded? An extension, a P9 barrel cut and threaded, or other?

Thanks

Ben
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP