The snow melts and this is what I find..

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Chondro
Silent But Deadly

The snow melts and this is what I find..

Post by Chondro »

Thought I would check out the damage to my lawn..had better than 3 feet snow drifts in my backyard..I figure from the angle I was shooting the bullets had about 12 feet of snow to stop them..So when it thawed this is what I found...223 Subsonics on the left (cause they are fun and it irritates people) CCI subsonics bottom middle (yeah subsonic my ass, but they do open up nicely) 150 gr. Speer on the right with CCI standard leaving the majority..Realizing how quicky they add up I'm gonna quit shooting the lawn..
Cheaper than ballistic gel.. :P

Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

lol, nice!

BTW your camera take crisp pics!
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I assume you found them when half the snow had melted and you had a bunch of grey-on-white?
Wrench_V10
Silent Operator

Post by Wrench_V10 »

lol great post...I just did the same thing yesterday. I was amazed at all the stuff just laying on the ground. Even found some of the polymer tips from the 17 hmr and 22 mag. Now I just need to go out and pick up some of the brass laying around in the back yard or its gonna be duck and cover once it needs to be mowed :shock: .
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

LOL you too! My WIFE gets all pissy about it. what if the ducks eat them she spouts off. (or the grand-kids)

I plow all the snow to one side of my driveway.. Makes a very nice shooting backstop. I have to rake the bullets up every spring. It's still 4' tall... So I have a few more weeks until I can recover my spent bullets.

I also have an island in my pond and I have one spot I shoot at.. I get a good handful or 2 out there as well. It;s 50 yards from my front steps... I have a BIG stump at 75 yards.... It is loaded with .30 and .22.

Once the ground firms up my small shooting range will be back in service.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

No snow at my house so my yard looks like a game of polo was played in it :P
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

That is pretty cool. Nice picture. No snow here, just a block of wood full of lead.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
gunlovingjohn
Silent Operator

Post by gunlovingjohn »

That is COOL. I hate snow, makes me wanna shoot it. Now I can. :roll:
"There is a fine line between Tactical and Tacky."
sonanth
Elite Member

Post by sonanth »

Dang, that is badass. Makes me wish I had snow way down here. I love finding fired and lightly mangled bullets. Most look like they just fell off the casing.
"Your" does not equal "You're", the contraction for "You are".

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

JohnInNH wrote:LOL you too! My WIFE gets all pissy about it. what if the ducks eat them she spouts off. (or the grand-kids)
Well, if your grandkids think that eating spent bullets is a good idea then you are probably doing the world a favor by having them there. :wink:
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
midcountygunshop
Silent Operator

Post by midcountygunshop »

JohnInNH wrote:LOL you too! My WIFE gets all pissy about it. what if the ducks eat them she spouts off. (or the grand-kids)
I am personally trying to pave my driveway with 22 brass :lol:
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Yeah its a shame you can't shoot the snow away.. :evil: ..I wish I was thinking about the snow catching the bullets because I would have shot a bunch of other stuff to find as well..Since I found the Sub .223's that means that it was only deep enough one or two days..The rest are in my lawn..

I was thinking about this back from the pin shoots and such as a kid.. (You'd find those slow moving bullets laying all over after)..Only the lead on the back of the bullets are melted..So the lead buildup you would think in rimfire cans is mostly from the base..More so than just what is shredded off from the rifling..So you would think that 9mm and .45's that weren't completely jacketed would be just as much of a problem..The only thing I've shot through my .45 can is lead so far (minus the 9mm jacketed stuff) and no sign of leading at all..granted though I've only shot a few hundred rounds though it..(much harder lead with lighter loads..only the hot loads melts the base)

Ahh when the weather breaks.. :shock: So much loaded ammo and no where to shoot it..

Eating lead is bad? I used to chew on lead bullets while loading as a kid..I came out fine..

What was a talking about again? :?
Derf
Silent But Deadly

Post by Derf »

Chondro wrote:Yeah its a shame you can't shoot the snow away.. :evil:
Tannerite
Me and a buddy tried it the other day. Ran to the local Military Surplus shop to pick a few boxes of 7.62x54R and got a few cans of Tannerite. We also got a few boxes of 54R tracers......those are a hoot at 1am

Place a few cans about 3' apart at the base of the pile about 12" deep into the pile, stand back, shoot, and watch the snow fly.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

Derf wrote:
Chondro wrote:Yeah its a shame you can't shoot the snow away.. :evil:
Tannerite
Me and a buddy tried it the other day. Ran to the local Military Surplus shop to pick a few boxes of 7.62x54R and got a few cans of Tannerite. We also got a few boxes of 54R tracers......those are a hoot at 1am

Place a few cans about 3' apart at the base of the pile about 12" deep into the pile, stand back, shoot, and watch the snow fly.
Why is it that the most awesome solutions are also the least practical?
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."