Quietest host for the Trident 9?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

rsm688
Silent But Deadly

Quietest host for the Trident 9?

Post by rsm688 »

Well I have ordered my Trident and I am going to build a new host solely for use with the Trident only. Going of silencer reasearch tests it looks like the Sig P226 with special K is the quietest combination for the trident that they have tested. Anyone else have any input?

Thanks,
Spencer
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

That seems to be the quietest combination. Even quieter than the Ti-Rant on its quietest host. :wink:
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Yup, 226 with special K.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
rsm688
Silent But Deadly

Post by rsm688 »

Thanks guys, will be getting me a 226 and a case of special K 8)
Walkure
Silent Operator

Post by Walkure »

Quietest I have experienced is a Beretta 92FS with the fixed mount.

Yes, using the fixed mount over the LCD makes a noticable difference to your ear (or at least it does to my ear).
SWR Spectre
SWR Trident9
SWR Specwar 556
Josh Denny

Post by Josh Denny »

Perhaps I'm just out of the loop, but what is Special K in this usage?
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

I coul see where the fixed mount would be quieter. I noticed the "chirp" from my Trident's LCD seems to be louder than the shot. Doesn't bother me though as that chirp akes it sound even less like any kinda gun shot.
Go Hoos!!!!
Derf
Silent But Deadly

Post by Derf »

Josh Denny wrote:Perhaps I'm just out of the loop, but what is Special K in this usage?
You take a 1/2 cup of cerel and 3 tablespoons of milk(whole or 2%) smash it up and pour it into your can. Should quiet it donw a good bit.......LOL sorry

Special K is 147gr ammo made by Alabama Ammo, factory made sub-sonic. I have never shot it, but i hear its pretty quiet stuff.
Josh Denny

Post by Josh Denny »

LOL. If the cereal were it I'd pass. I roll my own so maybe I'll try the K and maybe I'll make my own :)
Derf
Silent But Deadly

Post by Derf »

Now you're thinking. Reload your own, its gonna be cheaper. Im pretty sure the Special K is tough to get ahold of.

There was a recipe for it somewhere here.
Look in the "handloading" section.
Or maybe i saw it on silencerresearch, cant remember

sorry for the hi-jack
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

I have a few loads that are comprable to Special K that I load. If you reload there is no need to search out Special K as can roll your own to be just as quiet for a lot less $ :D
Go Hoos!!!!
Josh Denny

Post by Josh Denny »

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. After spending all these years loading 147's trying to get to 1200fps I'll have to make some subsonics, LOL.
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

Josh Denny wrote:Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. After spending all these years loading 147's trying to get to 1200fps I'll have to make some subsonics, LOL.
Were you sing 3N38 to get to 1200fps? I've been looking for some and can't find it as I wanted to load up some "fast" 147gr JHP's for my stash.
Go Hoos!!!!
Josh Denny

Post by Josh Denny »

I never made it all the way to 1200fps. At least not when I had a chrono to verify it. I was loading these before I had any 3N38 but that powder seems to really shine with the 9mm bore and high velocity. I'll have to try and find my load data on the 147g bullets, I think I only ever made it to around 1150fps with 147g out of a 4" barrel (P7M8). I did have a pretty accurate load for the 147g Remington Match FMJ-FP bullets that was sub-sonic. It was 7.5g of Accurate Arms No. 7 at 1.125" with CCI500 primers with average velocity of 973fps.

My first suppressor is going to be the SWR Trident so I'll try it out when I get it. While we;re talking bullets and suppressors, I once had a conversation with the guy at CCFA and he told me that you can't use HP bullets in a suppressor in case they "open up" in the suppressor. Is that true? Seems unlikely that a JHP will open without hitting something.
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

Josh Denny wrote:My first suppressor is going to be the SWR Trident so I'll try it out when I get it. While we;re talking bullets and suppressors, I once had a conversation with the guy at CCFA and he told me that you can't use HP bullets in a suppressor in case they "open up" in the suppressor. Is that true? Seems unlikely that a JHP will open without hitting something.
You are right, JHP's are fine for use in silencers. The do not open up travelling through the air....imagine what that'd do for accuracy :)
Go Hoos!!!!
Josh Denny

Post by Josh Denny »

LOL. It sounded a bit foolish to me at the time so it's good to know JHPs are ok. Now a bit of paperwork & some money and I can test them myself in my own Trident. I have many guns to use as a host but it sounds like the Beretta 92 will make a nice quiet one :)
cyclesarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by cyclesarge »

You might also want to think about a rifle. If I remember right the H&R Handi Rifle was pretty quiet, and CHEAP!
Plunky
Silent But Deadly

Post by Plunky »

I have a P226 and a HK USPSD. With a Trident on them, I doubt you will hear any difference. At least I cannot, nor can others who have been with me.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Plunky wrote:I have a P226 and a HK USPSD. With a Trident on them, I doubt you will hear any difference. At least I cannot, nor can others who have been with me.
With Special K? I asked John T. about it because I noticed the difference in db of the 226 vs. other hosts, and he said it is a clear difference to the ear.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
Plunky
Silent But Deadly

Post by Plunky »

Tried Special K & others. 5 of us could tell no difference to the ear. If there is a difference, it is apparently too slight for us to tell, or we are all too damn deaf to tell.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

The absolute best host I've ever heard was a Trident-9 on a lever-action Marlin .357 shooting factory .38 Spl. The hammer dropping on an empty chamber was as loud as when shooting the gun.

It was quieter than the Trident on my T/C Contender in 300 Whisper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwpnFX5uy7I
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Plunky wrote:Tried Special K & others. 5 of us could tell no difference to the ear. If there is a difference, it is apparently too slight for us to tell, or we are all too damn deaf to tell.
hmmm. Alright then, I feel a little better about my g17 host (tested near the HK).

-Edmund Kemper
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Marlin lever gun. 38spl 158gr. Just sayin.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
f.2
Silent But Deadly

Post by f.2 »

nice.

edit: do you have a thread showing the threading, magazine tube modifications, bbl length of your 1894C?
Garrett wrote:The absolute best host I've ever heard was a Trident-9 on a lever-action Marlin .357 shooting factory .38 Spl. The hammer dropping on an empty chamber was as loud as when shooting the gun.

It was quieter than the Trident on my T/C Contender in 300 Whisper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwpnFX5uy7I
Last edited by f.2 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

This lever gun keeps coming up..I'm gonna have to get one... :roll:

Hopefully can get everything sorted this week cause the 226 elite is next..