Help me pick a barrel profile - poll.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Which 16 barrel do you think is better?

Medium 'Robert' profile
70%
Light 'Kevin' profile.
30%

Total votes: 69

silencertalk
Site Admin

Help me pick a barrel profile - poll.

Post by silencertalk »

Which barrel would you prefer for a compact rifle (16 inch barrel) in 300 Fireball?

Weight is about 5.75 pounds (light barrel) or 6.9 lbs with medium barrel.

The medium barrel has a 0.750 OD and 2.5 inches long straight area at the end which would allow an SPR/M4 or SCAR-H type can to be mounted but also has a straight-taper area so is more rigid.

The supersonic bullets should stay supersonic to about 540 yards, so that is what I would call the max range of the rifle. 500 if you want to be conservative.

I had picked the stiffer profile as it may benefit precision (not proven) but Kevin likes the lightest one as he wants a compact/light rifle to be as light as possible. I really could go either way so I wanted to see what most people like.

Vote.
Last edited by silencertalk on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

I actually kill stuff, Robert is smart and relies on theory!
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

I voted for the medium weight, but would really prefer somewhere in between the two.
A straight taper would be neat.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

A full straight taper is heavier than either of these as the line would go all the way down to the 0.750 threaded muzzle rather than to 2.5 inches behind the shoulder as the 'medium' barrel now shows.

Both of these have a 1.25 inch or so cylindrical area for a barrel wrench.

I am theoretical. I only went hunting once. Well, at least once when I shot something.
bombsqd318
Silent Operator

Post by bombsqd318 »

Go for the heavier barrel (medium), if the weight bothers you then hit the gym you wussie,
[b]EOD[/b]....[b][i]INITIAL SUCCESS OR TOTAL FAILURE [/i][/b]
angelbeast6
Silent But Deadly

Post by angelbeast6 »

+1 for Kevin.
snipersubsonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by snipersubsonic »

ive always like hvy barrels more. ESP if your gonna hang a suppressor on the end of it! so i vote for roberts.
Jeremy
angelbeast6
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help me pick a barrel profile - poll.

Post by angelbeast6 »

rsilvers wrote:...compact rifle (16 inch barrel) ...

Weight is about 5.75 pounds (light barrel) or 6.9 lbs with medium barrel.

... 540 yards, so that is what I would call the max range of the rifle. 500 if you want to be conservative.

I had picked the stiffer profile as it may benefit precision (not proven) but Kevin likes the lightest one as he wants a compact/light rifle to be as light as possible. I really could go either way so I wanted to see what most people like.

Vote.
within 500 yards I would ASSUME that even with a light barrel it wouldn't be too hard to adjust the for the shift in POI with the added weight of the suppressor IF it was zeroed without one.

BTW how will this end up looking? Is the barrel profile the only thing that we get to vote on?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I personally am not concerned that hanging a suppressor on the light barrel is an issue.

I like both profiles and I would take either one.

For me it is just a matter of if the heavier barrel will be more precise (what others call accurate) or not. It is already much lighter than an M24 profile or what David Tubb uses as his profile. I don't consider the heavier one to be 'heavy' but each person has their own thoughts on that. I don't like 'heavy barrels' so that is why I made that profile medium. It is 0.750 3.5 inches from the shoulder.

Here is some profile data:

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/lo ... _rifle.htm

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/co ... rifles.htm
lsstokes
Senior Silent Operator

Post by lsstokes »

Robert, in your opinion would using a can on a bull barrel have less POI change than a lighter barrel?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

lsstokes wrote:Robert, in your opinion would using a can on a bull barrel have less POI change than a lighter barrel?
Probably in most cases and on average - but I think there are other factors and I don't know for certain enough to use that as a reason to pick the heavier one.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Here is what I would call a heavy barrel - this is what a straight taper barrel would like like if it tapered to 0.905 inches at 24 inches - the same as my M24 barrel - but then cut off at 16 inches.

It would be 4.18 lbs.

doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

If there is no significant POI shift from mounting a suppressor on the thinner barrel I'd go for the lighter weight barrel or ... I'd go with the thinnest barrel that results in the least significant shift in POI. At 16" it's probably no big deal with any of them but I really have no idea.

If you're trying to impress somebody then the thicker the better. :roll:

As for being a wuss if you choose the lighter barrel you can always make up for the lighter barrel by carrying more ammo or supplies. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
ethanL007

Post by ethanL007 »

I would prefer something in the 2.1 to 2.2 pound range.

You can still sell it as less than 6 pounds, and I bet you can add some stiffness with that quarter pound.
Last edited by ethanL007 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeltaPDesign
Silent Operator

Post by DeltaPDesign »

I am with Kevin here. For walking and whacking stuff, go with the skinny one, the critter will not know the difference, but you will.

Sounds like the two of you are going pig whacking.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

I prefer the Silvers profile. I think the skinny one would be much more likely to have an unacceptable degree of POI shift. Many states (including mine) do not allow hunting with suppressors, so I would have to shoot it without the can from time to time.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

Conqueror wrote:I prefer the Silvers profile. I think the skinny one would be much more likely to have an unacceptable degree of POI shift. Many states (including mine) do not allow hunting with suppressors, so I would have to shoot it without the can from time to time.
+1 Light weapons suck, they are never as good as they should be. But they do have there place, but it is not in place of your life.
Just my $.02
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Kevin at 16", Silvers at 10.5".
cmdecker
Elite Member

Post by cmdecker »

For what it's worth, Kevin's profile is similar to that of the Noveske 16" 300/221 barrel, which I have had great results with from an accuracy standpoint (both suppressed and unsuppressed).
FFL/SOT

AAC, KAC, and SWR Dealer
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

For a mere pound's difference, I'll go with the heavy barrel, just to be on the safe side.
An M16 weighs what, 6-7lbs? This isn't significantly heavier.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION