Tirant 45 baffle trouble?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

a22silensir
Silent Operator

Tirant 45 baffle trouble?

Post by a22silensir »

Forgive me if this is a question that may be old or inaccurate but I read on the ar15 forum someone posting AAC had/has problems with the Tirant 45 baffles collapsing. I thought the Tirant was made mostly of titanium but this guy is saying the baffles are of really thin aluminum which hasnt stood the pressure in some cases. Is this true of the early prototypes and should I assume it was fixed? The fellow that mentioned it must know someone who had first hand knowledge unless hes a story teller that doesnt like AAC. Can never tell. Anyway I really wanted to get the Tirant but after hearing that report I'm a little concerned. Needless to say I paid for the Osprey 45 the other day to be safe. Maybe the Tirant is in the future for me when I hear customer feedback in the next few months. Anyone have any knowledge on this topic or is this more internet rumors? thanks alot guys
sniper1
Silent But Deadly

Post by sniper1 »

troll
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Re: Tirant 45 baffle trouble?

Post by goteron »

a22silensir wrote:but I read on the ar15 forum
Therein lies the problem. It may be true, but I highly highly doubt it. I dont think there have ever been problems about baffles collapsing on any of AAC's cans, and the Tirant .45 probably wouldnt be the first. It was probably a bad baffle strike or some other operator error and they didnt want to admit it. Can you link to to the thread?
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

Ti-Rant 9s have been in customers' hand for a while now. We have a larger customer base than any other dealer in the nation and I've NEVER heard of a single issue with Ti-Rant 9 baffles.

We have a demo Ti-Rant 9 that I've used quite a bit and it's holding up like a champ!

Ti-Rant 45s are just now shipping to dealers, so it would be impossible for there to be reports of baffles collapsing - no cans have made it to end users for them to experience this phenomenon.

I think these supposed "reports" of Ti-Rant baffles failing are 100% fabricated.
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

a22silensir wrote:Forgive me if this is a question that may be old or inaccurate but I read on the ar15 forum someone posting AAC had/has problems with the Tirant 45 baffles collapsing. I thought the Tirant was made mostly of titanium but this guy is saying the baffles are of really thin aluminum which hasnt stood the pressure in some cases. Is this true of the early prototypes and should I assume it was fixed? The fellow that mentioned it must know someone who had first hand knowledge unless hes a story teller that doesnt like AAC. Can never tell. Anyway I really wanted to get the Tirant but after hearing that report I'm a little concerned. Needless to say I paid for the Osprey 45 the other day to be safe. Maybe the Tirant is in the future for me when I hear customer feedback in the next few months. Anyone have any knowledge on this topic or is this more internet rumors? thanks alot guys

No, it is not true. The cans have passed the military endurance test on a short barrel HK - thousands of rounds - and was selected.

I cannot find a post about it, other than someone saying that they read a post about it. Where is the original post?
Last edited by silencertalk on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

a22silensir wrote: Anyway I really wanted to get the Tirant but after hearing that report I'm a little concerned. Needless to say I paid for the Osprey 45 the other day to be safe.
Nothing wrong with the Osprey, but it is unfortunate you made as purchasing decision based on info from a forum that is so often wrong.
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 827&page=1

I was accused by that idiot of AAC telling me to argue with him just to get the thread locked or I was an AAC troll account just because I called him on his bullshit for not posting proof..lol
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Joke of a post over there, joke of a forum over there, joke of a few posters over there.

ugh.
Kick Ass Design
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

a22silensir,

I cannot find any post before yours. Are you the origin of this?
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

JasonAAC wrote:Joke of a post over there, joke of a forum over there, joke of a few posters over there.

ugh.
I don't agree with this part. True there are plenty of douche nozzles over there but there are also some good guys who are very helpful in the tech forums. If you have a question about pretty much any weapon platform you can find an answer over there.

On the flip side there are some total retards and assholes over there especially in the general discussion section. Some of them stray into the tech forums occasionally but are usually kept at bay by the mods.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Not to stir the pot up, but wouldn't some Ti-Rant .45s have to be in customer hands for this story to even be possible, let alone true?

Total troll account. Here to stir s--t and do nothing else.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

JasonAAC wrote:Joke of a post over there, joke of a forum over there, joke of a few posters over there.

ugh.
THIS.
NFAtalk.org
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

rsilvers wrote:a22silensir,

I cannot find any post before yours. Are you the origin of this?
It's in the silcner section, there are like 4 threads.

Here's one:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=311964

The souce is a guy in Indiana, no it's not me.
NFAtalk.org
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I still don't see it. Just quote one post where some guy says "AAC had/has problems with the Tirant 45 baffles collapsing." Who is this guy and where does he say it?
a22silensir
Silent Operator

Post by a22silensir »

slivers, no, its not me. I'm not gonna state potential litigious matter cuz I hear AAC can bite. Its on the 2nd page of "silencers" under the topic -" Is the 45 Osprey the quietest 45 silencer now?" The individual that got the inside info the Tirant 45 baffles collapsing posted under MAND76 from Indiana I believe. He seems credible.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Here is his post:
I'd buy the Osprey can personally. They are available and they are quiet and they will WORK most importantly.

As opposed to what? Not working? What can does not work?
Only about 50 Ti-Rants have shipped and from what I'm hearing, they aren't performing and some are even having problems.
I guess I cannot dispute what HE has been hearing. Lots of people hear voices. They perform exactly as our testing and John's testing shows. I am not aware of any problems.
The Ti-Rant uses K-baffles and in order to make the most of the K baffles which perform best with high pressure, the angle of the skirt was changed to about 20 degrees and then the number of them was increased to about 8 iirc. With that increase in number of baffles, it weighed more than was desired so the aluminum was made very thin.
We make them thin to save weight and volume.
There are reports of the K baffles crushing during NORMAL use.
No one has reported a crushed baffle to AAC - which almost certainly means it did not happen. Many thousands of rounds of testing was done on short barrel pistols.
AAC claims that delays are due to a military order (their usual excuse) but that number is supposedly around 250. 250 suppressors at 8 K baffles each is only 2000. Why can't they make the 2000 K baffles when most of their work is subcontracted out?
Well, except the military orders are much more than 250. That is not even in the ballpark.
That reinforces that the delays are due to a poor design that is now being redesigned.
No, there is no design issue. The military was given first priority of the allocation. AAC is moving to a new building and it has affected production but we are working hard to have everything become fast and in stock. The new inventory control software automatically tracks parts and generates orders for raw materials. Things will be awesome. Please hang on. Our plans are nearing completion.

goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Why is the building so high? Will Mers have a second story office with a shadowy dark window to overlook everything?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I'm not one for just suing people, but this claim is so obviously fraudulent I think I support it in this case. How can there be reports of a problem when the product has not reached consumer hands?

More Silencer Drama from some competitor? Who's the ass-hat that started this rumor?
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Selectedmarksman wrote:I'm not one for just suing people, but this claim is so obviously fraudulent I think I support it in this case. How can there be reports of a problem when the product has not reached consumer hands?
That is why it is so easily dismissed and not reasonable person could believe it. Might as well have been posted by Joe Isuzu (google for you youngsters).
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

TROOPER wrote:Not to stir the pot up, but wouldn't some Ti-Rant .45s have to be in customer hands for this story to even be possible, let alone true?
Someone jumped the gun on the inevitable smear campaign?
Kevin/AAC

Post by Kevin/AAC »

goteron wrote:Why is the building so high? Will Mers have a second story office with a shadowy dark window to overlook everything?
That picture is part of the shop and warehouse area, the office area is not pictured. The ceiling is high b/c its badass...skylights, natural light, etc.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
Kevin/AAC

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Selectedmarksman wrote:I'm not one for just suing people, but this claim is so obviously fraudulent I think I support it in this case. How can there be reports of a problem when the product has not reached consumer hands?

More Silencer Drama from some competitor? Who's the ass-hat that started this rumor?
Yeah, but this is how people generally get sued. Then they all cry about the poor guy only stated that he didn't like AAC or stated opinion.

The Ti-RANT thread in question in question is a lie. The Ti-RANT .45 silencers are NOT having issues of any kind, including baffle problems. The ar15.com'er stated we had units returned...before they had even shipped. This is not true. We have NEVER received Ti-RANT silencers for service or issues. The Ti-RANT recently completed and won an extensive military competition. We did not ship Ti-RANT .45 silencers to the commercial market until this was completed. The losers are not happy that we won, again. The Ti-RANT 9mm and .45 are both in military service. They are the most refined handgun silencers available.

All of this anonymous garbage originates from the same source...I don't really consider them competition. The guys posting are always just groupies.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Don't lie, you know it's just a front for an illegal cirque de solei style monkey silencer fighting ring.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

goteron wrote:Don't lie, you know it's just a front for an illegal cirque de solei style monkey silencer fighting ring.
Seriously speaking, I wonder how a group of 20 monkeys or so woud react if you put them all into a cage and left a suppressed .22 pistol in their midst, loaded and ready to fire. Would they figure out how to use it? Would one of their number accidentally shoot another monkey? How would they all react after that?

The possibilities are endless :twisted:
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION