Will AAC rebuild my buddy's .22 checkmate w/quieter baffles?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

a22silensir
Silent Operator

Will AAC rebuild my buddy's .22 checkmate w/quieter baffles?

Post by a22silensir »

So I have a friend that went against my word of investing in a higher end .22 silencer and settled on a bargain can that now he regrets cuz its not quiet enough. I recall him saying the stamp was about the same price as the can. I dont know the maker but he says its called "checkmate" or something of that nature. 1" or so diameter and about 6" long? Does anyone know if AAC or any company for that matter will rebuild his can by replacing it with quieter baffle stack like the ones in the Element? I'd guess its ok by the ATF given companies sell replacement mounts/boosters and such to customers, so I cant see why baffles cant be sold so long as the serialized tube isnt replaced I understand. What should I tell him? Send it in to AAC? thanks
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Probably tell him more reading, less posting. 100% of the questions you have asked are covered somewhere in this forum. I hate to be a jerk about it, but come on. A little reading, a little searching will have your answer.

To answer the question posted, yes there are places that do it, no AAC is not one of them. Try Liberty.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

If the tube does not need to be replaced then it's possible Liberty could do it for you. AAC has grown and recently joined up with Remington, so I doubt they have the time to do one-off work anymore. If this cannot be done without replacing the tube your friend is SOL due to the Gemtax. At that point he'd be better off just buying a new suppressor.

Liberty's website.

The Gemtax letter
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

Thompson Machine should be able to quiet it down
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Ah yes, thanks chingon, I keep forgetting about Thompson Machine and I really, really shouldn't. There may be a few other MFG's who could take on the project, hopefully future posters will list them.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Before he starts doing silly stuff like re coring his silencer make sure he's not running supersonic ammo through his silencer. I remember 15 years or so before I bought a silencer for my MAC and I thought it was a total piece of s--t. It never occured to me at the time that regular 9mm ammoo was supersonic and that made a huge difference.

A .22 rifle shooting run of the mill high velocity .22 ammo will be loud no matter what can you have on it.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

YugoRPK wrote:Before he starts doing silly stuff like re coring his silencer make sure he's not running supersonic ammo through his silencer.
This seems to be a common mistake. I recently took someone shooting who'd just gotten his first .22 can; he had brought a bunch of HV, bulk pack-type ammo. He was dissatisfied with the sound when shooting through a 96/22. I provided some standard velocity stuff - not even real subsonic - and it was a night and day difference. He was over the moon, and now knows the right ammo is extremely important in performance.