5.56 can on an SBR - MUST READ

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

5.56 can on an SBR - MUST READ

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

For a while now I've been recommending to customers that if they're going to run their 5.56 can on an SBR AR, then you NEEEEEED to run a muzzle brake QD mount with it (instead of a flashhider QD mount).

The brake will act as a kind of "pre blast baffle" and absorb & redirect a lot of the punishment that suppressor's blast baffle would otherwise have to take on a 10.5" AR.

These pics show just how much punishment the brake absorbs. This brake was brand new and the errosion in the pics resulted after only 300-400 rounds (notice the severe errosion around the first chamber of the brake and there's even significant errosion on the second chamber).

Here's what the blast baffle of the can that was run with the brake looks like (a LOT better than the brake):

And also for comparison, here's a brake off of one of our 12.5" guns (notice how much better it looks than the brake off of the 10.5" gun?):

SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
texas_archer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by texas_archer »

Yeah, I switched all my SBRs over to breaks for that sole purpose. I will have to check and see what the break looks like in a hour or so.
armoredsaint
Silent But Deadly

Post by armoredsaint »

wow, i didn't realize what a difference it can make. i'm looking to SBR my 6920 also.
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

Actually I think that pic of his blast baffle was taken after he changed to the break but had fired 500 rds with a flash hider and 300 rds with the break.

So maybe if he had used a break to begin with that blast baffle would probably look even better.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Maj, so for this reason, would you prefer the Muzzle Brake over even the BRAKEOUT, at least when used on a 10" range barrel? At what barrel length do you think the BRAKEOUT would offer adequate protection and equal/superior overall performance, since alone (unsuppressed), it offers flash reduction too?
Last edited by 700PSS on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raines/762-SD
Silent But Deadly

Post by Raines/762-SD »

So this is just for 5.56 cans right? I just checked my 762SD and I have no Erosion whatsoever and I use it on my 10.5" SBR all the time..
LSU Football National Champs
1908, 1958, 2003, 2007
texjames
Silent But Deadly

Post by texjames »

Hey Bryon thats interesting.I am waiting on the Form 3 for the YHM Phantom 556 QD and am going to use it on a 10.5 SBR AR15.
Doe's YHM offer a QD Muzzle Brake that will work on my Phantom?
I will not be doing any FA...can't afford those.
I have already put a QD on with some Rocksett too..
I might want to use the Phantom on my 16 inch sometimes too.... 8)
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

That is some good info. Thanks Bryon.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

Another consideration, though minor, is sound reduction. The Vortex is a fantastic flash hider, but measurably louder than an A2 or dedicated brake.
Your Mom.
texjames
Silent But Deadly

Post by texjames »

On my YHM i was looking at the YHM website and the YHM Brake QD is not to exotic looking as the one at top Bryon showed.Don't look like it
would offer much blast control.
http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product382.html
40G27
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 40G27 »

Good info. Is there a muzzle brake available that will work with a Gemtech Halo, or am I stuck with the A2 flash hider as my only option for the Halo?
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

It would be super if there were a brake for the SPR/M4... Good post though. Thanks
Illuminated_one
Silent But Deadly

Post by Illuminated_one »

goteron wrote:It would be super if there were a brake for the SPR/M4... Good post though. Thanks
+1!!

Still waiting AAC :P
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "

Mark Twain
texas_archer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by texas_archer »

Illuminated_one wrote:
goteron wrote:It would be super if there were a brake for the SPR/M4... Good post though. Thanks
+1!!

Still waiting AAC :P
x2
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

I'd also like an 18T break in standard AR threading (for the M4-1000 and 762SD). Hopefully when AAC moves into their new huge space they will have more machines and time for this.
dbooksta
Silent Operator

Post by dbooksta »

I wonder if one could construct a generalized mount with a "sacrificial blast baffle" that has 1/2x28tpi threads on the end and would fit inside any screw-on can?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

That's almost sticky worthy. At least for now the breaks are replaceable as non-silencer parts, which is a huge plus. Thanks Byron!
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
texas_archer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by texas_archer »

Took a look at my 12" SBR and it looked nothing like the ones pictured.

I haven't shot my 10.5" and 11.5" yet with the break on them.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Thanks for sharing.
NFAtalk.org
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

Been hearing this for years about the Ops cans whenever someone would ask for an FH mount. I have the brake mount on the gun where the can lives and the A2 mount on the gun where the can is pretty much never mounted.

IIRC Steve from ADCO had some pictures of blast baffles comparing FH mounts to brake mounts.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
MAJ MALFUNCTION

texjames wrote:Hey Bryon thats interesting.I am waiting on the Form 3 for the YHM Phantom 556 QD and am going to use it on a 10.5 SBR AR15.
Doe's YHM offer a QD Muzzle Brake that will work on my Phantom?
I will not be doing any FA...can't afford those.
I have already put a QD on with some Rocksett too..
I might want to use the Phantom on my 16 inch sometimes too.... 8)
The YHM brake isn't really a brake - it's still just a flash hider (unfortunately). Not every manufacturer offers true muzzle brakes for their cans (AAC is one of the few that does).
MAJ MALFUNCTION

700PSS wrote:Maj, so for this reason, would you prefer the Muzzle Brake over even the BRAKEOUT, at least when used on a 10" range barrel? At what barrel length do you think the BRAKEOUT would offer adequate protection and equal/superior performance overall performance, since alone (unsuppressed), it offers flash reduction too?
For an SBR, that will see heavy use, I would prefer the brake over the Brakeout. The brake has two chambers, so it's like getting a "pre-pre-blast baffle" and a "pre-blast baffle" all in one! The Brakeout is still better than a traditional flash hider, as it offers the built-in brake, with one chamber.
MAJ MALFUNCTION

texas_archer wrote:Took a look at my 12" SBR and it looked nothing like the ones pictured.
Your shooting schedule will make a HUGE difference. You have to shoot pretty quickly/heavily to get that kind of errosions (shooting in matches, serious training or FA will do it).

Light, recreational plinking isn't as hard on your kit.
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

Major, is there not 2 separate chambers in the yhm break similar to the aac break or is it open inside like a flash hider?

Its hard to tell from a side view in the pic but I was thinking it had 2 chambers but I'm not sure.

Just wanted to know before I ordered one.

Also primary weapons systems makes a 556 break for the yhm suppressor but it only has 1 chamber.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
texjames
Silent But Deadly

Post by texjames »

Well i was somewhat concerned about this errosion on the
YHM 556 Phantom i have coming so i wrote to YHM and asked them about it. I asked if the Muzzle brake QD has a chamber in it and concern for errosion in the blast chamber, they wrote back this which is interesting.

"Sir,
Thank you for your interest in our products. The YHM-5M2-QD Muzzle Brake is open inside like our Phantom Flash Hider QD mount. It however does not surpress any muzzle flash like the Phantom QD Flash Hider Mount. It does work very well as a muzzle brake. All our sound suppressors come with a lifetime warranty so do not worry about internal erosion on your suppressor. If you ever have a problem you may send it back to us and we will repair it at no charge to you other than the shipping charges back and forth. We have never had any erosion problems internally with any of our suppressors. Just be sure to clean the suppressor at the recommended intervals of 1000-1500 rounds and you should have no troubles. There is no need to unnecessarily worry about internal erosion on your sound suppressor."

[/b]