Best bulk .22 Ammo for F/A, and best for suppressed???

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

1096369fred
Senior Silent Operator

Best bulk .22 Ammo for F/A, and best for suppressed???

Post by 1096369fred »

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has been beat to death, (I did a search without much luck....)
I am thinking about buying bulk .22 L.R. around 2500-5000 rounds to start....
my F/A/ Uzi .22 bolt is running good..... wonder why I need more ammo!!!

First I would like to go for what is most reliable in my Uzi.... Hi velocity stuff is best, and yeah I will buy a few boxes first to try, before I buy in bulk. I am just wondering with what everyone has had the best luck.

Also for shooting suppressed, what do you guys like best? (I shoot mostly pistols suppressed, but some from my 10/22 as well.

Thanks!
Fred
jbabb
Silent But Deadly

Post by jbabb »

I have had the absolute best luck with Walmart Federal 550 packs (36gr, copper plated). I have a 4.5" Pac-Lite, so it stays subsonic in that barrel length. I rarely have any failures to fire wtih that stuff.

I stay away from Remington 550 bulk backs as it seems to not feed in some of my guns and seems to be more suited to a bolt gun or revolver.

Remington subsonics get a C-rating from me as I have alot of failures to fire with them.

CCI makes, in my opinion, the highest quality of .22LR ammunition and Im sure alot of guys on this forum will agree that their subsonic stuff is some of the best.

But, as said earlier, if you are dumping mags through your .22LR Uzi, then I would go with the Federal Bulk Packs
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Ruger MkII Guru and Collector

- SWR Trident 9
- SWR Spectre
- More Ruger MkII's than you can shake a stick at
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

CCI Mini-mags first best choice
Federal bulk from wally world next best

for subsonic I use mainly Aquila SE with 40 grain bullet.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best bulk .22 Ammo for F/A, and best for suppressed???

Post by Diomed »

1096369fred wrote:First I would like to go for what is most reliable in my Uzi....
Every .22 is different. This is excruciatingly true with conversions and .22 machineguns. Only way to know is to try it.

Minimags are good, but they're not a guarantee. My M11 conversion chokes on them just as well as it does on everything else I've tried.

As for suppressed shooting - still full auto? That makes a difference. My M10 conversion actually ran real nice on Remington Subsonic. Not so much Dynapoints.
3 weelin geezer
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3 weelin geezer »

For suppressed, I recommend the Remington subsonics. Now, mind you, I prefer a bolt action but they also work really well in my 10-22 which has at least 3000 rounds through it already so its broken in and gets a thorough cleaning each time its used.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

I run a norrell in FA and also cut a barrel to 4" threaded to shoot suppressed as well... the only 2 ammo that shot good was the cci minimags and the american eagles ... federal bulk pack was hit and miss.. the older brick pre ammo shortage worked great , the new stuf since ammo shortage is crap.. (don't know if they changed anything or just bad QC). on the other hand , the best subs i've tried so far is the 40 grain winchesters... the remy's were not as accurate and some had soft pops .. the aguila were just marginal and the cheaper fiocci are actually made by aguila.. so i stocked up on the winchester (made in australia). they worked great in bolt gun as well as my 10/22 with high desert dog barrel..." in semi only though.
but again no-go on the norrel...in FA.. so far no subs did very good in FA with the 4" barrel.

I just switched back to the 10" barrel this week and may test the winchesters this weekend in FA .. maybe the longer barrel will help.. that's my 2c.. hope it helps!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

CCI is good ammo, but IMO too expensive for the small increase in quality/reliability compared to Federal bulk packs for the purposes of blasting at the range. Federal has been my go-to .22 range ammo for many years.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

My dealer has had good experiences shooting Winchester Dynapoints out of his suppressed FA .22 Uzi.
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

plus 1. love Dynapoints
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
dbooksta
Silent Operator

Post by dbooksta »

Federal Auto-Match seems to be widely recommended for reliability in any blowback action, and if your barrel isn't too long it's still subsonic. Also not too expensive in 325rd "bulk" packs.
mg81
Silent But Deadly

Post by mg81 »

Cheap Remington golden bullet bulk box seems to be a fast, cleaner burning powder. Very good if you have a ported barrel.

Remington GB is the recommended cheap ammo for my SRT suppressors. Federal bulk box was not recommenced for the above reasons.

But they are not as reliable as Federal Bulk box. Reliability only applies if you using a semi/full auto. I have never had a malfunction with Remington GB in a non-automatic. I assume the Federal has a softer brass or more sensitive primer or both.

I find that I get very few malfunctions (1 in 100) if I keep the gun clean.
Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

chili17 wrote:plus 1. love Dynapoints

:D The Dynapoints are IMHO the most consistent bulk pack ammo hands down!

They stay subsonic in 10/22 with 16" barrel, are very accurate out to 125 yards on silhouette size steel targets. I would say that maybe 3 out of 1000 rds will go transonic.

I actually tuned my M-16 22lr 7.5" upper to specifically run this ammo. 100% in semi auto and 98% on full auto. I clean the upper every 500rds. And all stay subsonic with the barrel length & 1/16 twist.

A close friend uses Dynapoint in his American 180 as well as Wild Cat

Works Fantastic with Walther P22 and Ruger MKII with various cans. I ended up buying 100,000 + rounds of Dynapoint before the ammo prices went sky high.

I would stay away from Remington Subsonic. They lead up easy and even with many different LOTs I have used over the years I end up with more duds than any other manufacture.

CCI Mini Mags are top notch but command $$ these days!

Cheers,Matt
07/02 FFL-SOT
Ray Barnes
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ray Barnes »

I have been having succes with the Federal Bulk pack that can be found at WalMart
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Ive got a lot of .22's and 20 or so different types of ammo. You have to try a bunch of different .22 rounds to find whats right for your gun. Someone elses experiences might not be the same as yours even with the same type of gun.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

I say CRAP IN, CRAP OUT

you are gonna gum up your f/a or suppressor with dirty(er) ammo?

buy 1000 rds of some decent ammo imho
3 weelin geezer
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3 weelin geezer »

Its all the same. Lead with a wax lubricant coating. Best to get a take apart unit so it can be cleaned once in a while.
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

I run ALOT of CCI Standard Velocity ammo and it stays subsonic thru my 16" Spikes dedicated barrel. I would like to try some Winchester Dynapoints, but haven't found any in a LONNNNGGGGGGGG time.

I shoot mostly Federal Bulk pack from WalMart in my P22 with the Element since it stays subsonic and is reliable enough for it....most rounds are supersonic in my 16" barrel, but some go transonic, and some go subsonic.....not enough consistency to run FA or cycle reliably with the silencer. I have 4 federal bulk packs left to shoot thru my P22 (if it lasts that long...already have 7-8000 rounds thru it and its getting really worn out)., after they're gone I'll stick with CCI or Dynapoints.
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

plus 1. love Dynapoints too!
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

Dynapoints . They can also be found in Dick's Sporting Goods in a black box ...
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

My favorite .22 for suppressed use is the SK Jagd Standard Plus made by Lapua (same ammo as the Wolf Match Target.) Extremely clean and being a std velocity rnd it stays subsonic even in a 16" barrel. Very accurate and smells good too.:)
Phil McCrackin

Post by Phil McCrackin »

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of WW Dynapoint. Bought 5000 rds of it the last time I found it. Runs consistent, reliable, and accurate in everything. BUT, it is a good bit louder in everything than Aguila 38 hp subsonic. It's the difference between a loud forced cough and a soft cough, if that makes any sense. I don't consider the WW Dynapoint backyard quiet, exception for singles. I've sighted my 10/22s in with the Aguila and fired it alot. WWD doesn't go transsonic, it's just a good bit louder. Most Remington I've messed with is crap.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

You can have five guns all the same make, barrel length, all exactly the same and they may all
like diferent ammo.
You would be better off to purchase many diferent brands of ammo, like 100+ rnds of each and go shooting.
The ammo my gun likes may make your gun run like s--t, best to find what your gun likes
instead of purchasing a large bulk of what someone else uses.