my suppressed lever action

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

plumber576
Silent Operator

Re: my suppressed lever action

Post by plumber576 »

that's freaking awesome.
Rick Finsta
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Rick Finsta »

Sweet! :mrgreen:
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

just so you know.. you're costing me money... I have a Marlin 1897 octagon 357 mag and I just made a call to my local "exotic smith" and he's going to work me a price to cut thread , shorten tube , move sight and make a custom octagon thread protector for mine!! it will sport a trident as well!!!

it will take him a while to do.. but it's gonna be sweet ... I have a 2x leupold on mine..

do you mind sharing some of your load recepe for the 180's 357 loads ?
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
mtelkman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mtelkman »

imyomama wrote:just so you know.. you're costing me money... I have a Marlin 1897 octagon 357 mag and I just made a call to my local "exotic smith" and he's going to work me a price to cut thread , shorten tube , move sight and make a custom octagon thread protector for mine!! it will sport a trident as well!!!

it will take him a while to do.. but it's gonna be sweet ... I have a 2x leupold on mine..

do you mind sharing some of your load recepe for the 180's 357 loads ?
I am happy to help spend your money! A octagon barrel with a matching custom thread protector is going to be a one of a kind. Can't wait to see pictures of it!

For my Marlin, I have 2 loads I have been using. For fun, I use 158 gr JHP in a 38 case over 4.5 grains of Ramshot True Blue. For hunting, I use 5 grains of Herco in a 357 case with a 180 grain lead RNFP. I use CCI standard small pistol primers in both. My process of load development is simple. I start with a very light pistol load and keep adjusting until it barely stays subsonic in the rifle length barrel. I just keep incrementally dropping the charge until it stops breaking the speed of sound and making a crack through the suppressor. Don't go too low or you could stick a bullet in the barrel.

My original plan was to also suppress a lever action .22 but my plan of using a 96/22 didn't happen. I ended up using a Henry H001L instead. Below is a pic of it and its Marlin big brother. The Henry is amazingly quiet but it is sort of a pain to unthread/thread the can off and on at every reload. I am enjoying it anyway. I am currently trying to decide if I want to put a Tirant45 or Osprey 45 onto my existing Marlin 44mag OR buy a lever action 45colt and get it threaded. decision decisions.
Yeadon
Silent Operator

Post by Yeadon »

:shock: :shock: I love that thing!!!
.308, Because people hide behind cars.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

well i'm full of it.. I pulled the .357 out of the safe tonight and it's not the octagon barrel.. my .22 is the one I was thinking of .. so it's a regular 1894c.
still, I'm taking it for surgery tomorrow ... and my buddy ordered me a isis for it as well...
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

I'm very jealous. That is something I'd love to have!
NRA Benefactor Member
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

Damn nice job.

As much as I like the military style rifles, ya gotta love a good old lever action. If I could only have one rifle, it would probably be my old 39A, which has sent a many armadillo to it's maker.

I've thought about having it threaded, but I have 3 semi auto, a bolt action, and a 22/45 already done.
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by fstbk65 »

mtelkman wrote:After seeing how well this turned out and how quiet this rifle shoots, my Marlin lever 44mag is talking to me and asking for an Osprey and a similar threading job. I am torn between doing that or getting an integral 44mag. That may take awhile as I currently have a TM Operative on the way that I plan on mounting on a Ruger lever action 96/22 22lr.
That's a pretty sweet rifle. I debated a while on a host for my 45 Osprey and decided on a 44 Marlin. You won't be disappointed.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=68986
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

well.. I got her done!
misfit762
Silent But Deadly

Post by misfit762 »

That's pretty bad ass!
LIVE FREE OR DIE!
mtelkman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mtelkman »

NICE! How do you like the suppression level?
jack burton
Silent But Deadly

Post by jack burton »

Very nice!
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Video please
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

Artful wrote:Video please
here you go...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfXcLxGVGJg
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Load some 230 gr Thunderheads. :-) (penn bullets)

I have loaded up 200 of them at about 1050 fps. Boy to they hit HARD!
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

not till I get my Isis .. I don't want to lead the trident! :(
mtelkman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mtelkman »

JohnInNH wrote:Load some 230 gr Thunderheads. :-) (penn bullets)

I wonder how well they would stabilize in the Marlin. What twist rate do they need? And how well do they feed in the lever action?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

The 230 gr .357 Thunderheads measure 0.90" long and my batch was sized to .355

They were supposed to be .357.. don't ask me why they are .355.. I have called and they have asked for a sample to be returned of the 2K I bought. I guess they do not trust me to measure them correctly. :roll:

Sounds like they are stable in most twists, but check for yourself.

SNIP from Penn Bullets:

This bullet was designed specifically for bowling pin shoots. In these types of competitive events in which the objective is to clear a table of bowling pins; weight is more effective than velocity. This bullet is soft cast and is rated for 900 fps. The Thunderhead maximum meplat profile with the softer alloy promotes a better engagement with the hardwood pins (usually maple). The design features dual crimp grooves so that it can be loaded in .38 or .357 cases depending upon your application. Because the body of the bullet is so long it must be sized to .357 or .3575 maximum to insure it does not excessively bulge the brass and thus prevent its chambering. In .357 cases, 9.0 grains of Accurate Arms #9 will get the job done. If using .38 cases try about 7.0 grains of Accurate Arms #9 to start. DO NOT use +P .38 cases as these are usually thicker and can cause excessive bulging .... This type of shooting sport was pioneered by Richard Davis of Second Chance body armor. This event became a Who's Who of the shooting world and was a very elite event. Bowling pin shoots are not as popular as they once were but still show up from time to time.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

JohnInNH wrote:Load some 230 gr Thunderheads. :-) (penn bullets)

HMM :twisted: why do i think center drill + wet newspaper test :mrgreen:
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

imyomama wrote:well.. I got her done!
Sure do like the strait grip on those.
Wish someone would make a side load .22lr. :(
runningun

Post by runningun »

Has anyone with a 44 mag marlin tried any subsonic rounds to find out if they will stabalize the bullets? I was considering the 44 mag but the twist rate on the marlin and the handi rifle is 1:38. It would be nice to know if the twist rate is fast enough before doing the work on the gun.
mtelkman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mtelkman »

runningun wrote:Has anyone with a 44 mag marlin tried any subsonic rounds to find out if they will stabalize the bullets? I was considering the 44 mag but the twist rate on the marlin and the handi rifle is 1:38. It would be nice to know if the twist rate is fast enough before doing the work on the gun.
You could always load up a variety of subsonic 44's and shoot them through your Marlin before starting the work. Check the groups at 50 yards or so and see a) if they are grouping tight and b) if there is any evidence of bullet tumble.
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joe0121 »

I have a 45-70 I want to do something similar with to hunt white tail. I am thinking of shooting sub's myself as shooting distance where I hunt are rarely over 100 yards.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

joe0121 wrote:I have a 45-70 I want to do something similar with to hunt white tail. I am thinking of shooting sub's myself as shooting distance where I hunt are rarely over 100 yards.
Do you realize that this thread is 3 years old?
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams