.44 Magnum Rifle Questions?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

goat

Re: .44 Magnum Rifle Questions?

Post by goat »

Dark Tranquility wrote:Is there anyone else making custom fast twist barrels except Douglas?
Thanks, Dan
Shilen have a 1:16" off the shelf in thier line up.
http://www.shilen.com/calibersAndTwists.html
Seems like a good compromise, but Im no expert. 1:11" seems like a huge leap from 1:20".

There was a post somewhere that suggested that anything heavy (240gn >) fired from the 1:11 tist barrel at supersonic speeds would damage the copper jacket on jacketed pills a lot. Almost shreaded them.
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Post by Dark Tranquility »

The 1:16 does sound like a nice compromise. After looking at the twist rates other guns are available in even the 1:20 sounds pretty good. I certainly agree that going from a 1:20 to a 1:11 is a huge difference and I’m not surprised it tears some bullets up.

Thanks, Dan
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

i know everyone raves about integrals and pees on 45 cans on 44 's but i've really been happy with my tc encore..
the reason I went TC .. is I wanted quiet , quality barrel and short overall lenght (no action lenght...)
it doesn't like the xtp's .. but I bought 300 of them at the show .. so now i got to use them .. the remi's 240 group better.

I use 6 gr of titegroup I think .. barrel is a MGM 1/20 twist .. can is a evo 45 shooting dry .. you can see for yourself in this video.. (wasn't sighted in or shooting for groups, even though the xtp's aren't great anyway... 92 yards 10 shots video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufAUZCksEls

ps. didn't break the bank either .. barrel was $350 on GB .. already had the can .. so no wait, no stamp..etc..

so if you already have a 45 can .. maybe a 44 carbine could be a good " budget " alternative
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
goat

Post by goat »

[quote="imyomama"I use 6 gr of titegroup I think .. barrel is a MGM 1/20 twist .. can is a evo 45 shooting dry .. you can see for yourself in this video.. (wasn't sighted in or shooting for groups, even though the xtp's aren't great anyway... 92 yards 10 shots video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufAUZCksEls

What FPS are those doing in the video?
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

last chrono was 1010 to 1015 I believe...
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
goat

Post by goat »

Updated my results here

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61594
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

Thread revive!

Does anyone know if Handi Rifle is still using the same slow Rate of Twist? I read this on buffalo bore and made me think they may have sped it up a bit.
This new load is designed ONLY for certain firearms. They are as follows; Ruger Red Hawk, Ruger Super Red Hawk, Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, Freedom Arms Model 83, Taurus Raging Bull, Colt Anaconda and Dan Wesson Revolvers. Suitable rifles include T/C Encore, "modified" Marlin 1894 (see next paragraph), Winchester 1894, any rifle with a falling block action and the Handi Rifle.
Then....

Code: Select all

What do we mean above by "modified" Marlin? Marlin (for an unknown, not well thought out reason) is using a very slow rate of twist (1/38 inches) on their 1894 chambered in 44 mag. Because of this slow rate of twist, the heaviest bullet that the factory Marlin will stabilize is about 270grs. Other firearm makers that chamber for the 44 mag all use a much faster rate of twist so that their guns will stabilize and therefore accurately shoot bullets over 300grs.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... etail&p=54
vike
Silent Operator

Post by vike »

Does the H&R/NEF 45LC Classic Carbine have the SB1 or SB2 frame? Its the baby of the Buffalo Classic. Not sure if its still made but I got a used one a few years ago in the Cabelas gun library.
TD/Tom Denall is a great guy as he let me test his Silent Destroyer outside his home. Impressive :mrgreen: , but he had about 20 folks ahead of me to create a Destroyer, so I had him thread my full length 77/44 instead. I like it better actually.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

SB2...and it has a 1:16 twist. Perfect for heavy projectiles. Better choice for suppression than the 44mag IMHO. I have one and it does well with 300gr bullets at subsonic velocities.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."