My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

User avatar
kokopelli
Silent Operator
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:52 am

My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by kokopelli » Sat May 29, 2010 11:28 am

Last July I ordered one of Thompson Machine's $99 .22 cans off Gunbroker. I figured this would be a good start into the suppressor world at a good price. A screw up from the guy doing the transfer on my end made it a 8 month process.
Once I did get the can, Richard made up for the lost time by swapping out the k-baffles for the new upgraded mono-core design -Thanks to Thompson Machine, that's what I call great customer sevice!
So now I finally have the can. My host is a Sig Mosquito. It is not hearing safe. :(
I've put about 100 rounds of subsonic Remington and Aguila through it including the 90 grain Aguila sniper. I tried putting some oil in it; it didn't make a difference, I put a teaspoon of water in it, seemed to help a little bit...I filled up with water to where it was running out the end if it was tipped down- now it's hearing safe. :?
I guess the long wait made me overly anxious or over expecting of a hundred dollar can.

My next venture was going to be a can for my gsg-5...but for the amount of money it takes w/ stamp+transfer+can...I don't know if it's worth it or not.

User avatar
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1550
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by WhisperFan » Sat May 29, 2010 12:03 pm

It's hard for me to imagine a .22LR suppressor that isn't hearing safe.

Mine both sound like a pellet gun (or less)

But I don't have a Thompson Machine can
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by bikefreek » Sat May 29, 2010 12:10 pm

hell .22's are almost hearing safe without a can!

User avatar
JasonAAC
Industry Professional
Posts: 2993
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:08 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by JasonAAC » Sat May 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Just for background, have you heard other silenced Mosquitos as a comparison?

It's not hard to make a loudish .22 can, but with a decent design, you'd almost have to try to make it not hearing safe...

can you shoot the mosquito while holding the action closed with the palm of your hand to eliminate action noise?
Kick Ass Design

David Hineline
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 12:37 am
Location: South Sioux City, NE
Contact:

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by David Hineline » Sat May 29, 2010 12:37 pm

Underpowered subsonic ammo like Remington Subsonic is so low pressure that the brass does not expand and seal against the chamber walls so noise comes out the ejection port.

There is no such thing as 90grain Aquilla, they make a heavy 60grain cartridge, but it is for special twist guns not for your Mosquito.

With the longer barrel of the Mosquito you need shoot a non high velocity round, Anything marked std. velocity or target marked ammo would work ok, if the gun will cycle, I am not saying anything good about the Mosquito, just commenting upon the 5" length of barrel. I use Winchester Dynapoints a lot.

Your ears could still work so hearing safe to you and me can be quite a different thing.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.

User avatar
Chondro
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:37 am
Location: PA

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by Chondro » Sat May 29, 2010 1:26 pm

Today is another one of my stuck here pain med days and its really kicking in now so I'm gonna be real careful what I say..Sig Mosquito..I did not say one word guys...

Okay just to double check something..Fire a round holding the slide closed..don't let it cycle..Use your thumbs or duct tape the slide shut..Then tell us how it sounds..

oh and it is possible you have a defective batch of Remington subs (as was mentioned the Aguila your talking about doesn't exist so it maybe a supersonic round, I know they make all kinds of rimfire..)..I have a brick here of CCI Subsonics that will go supersonic in a 5 inch barrel. Get some CCI standards or another brand that your sure is staying subsonic as well..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"

User avatar
kokopelli
Silent Operator
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:52 am

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by kokopelli » Sat May 29, 2010 1:58 pm

sorry...Aguila 60 grain. The Remmy's were from a couple of different boxes...
I'll try holding the slide shut and firing a round. Maybe it is going supersonic? -maybe I'm hearing the crack as it does? Oh, and don't mind me- bash the Skeeter all you want, I'm not a huge fan of it anyway...

User avatar
coyote223
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:59 am
Location: Oregon

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by coyote223 » Sat May 29, 2010 2:07 pm

bikefreek wrote:hell .22's are almost hearing safe without a can!

Yeah, .22 pistols are no where near hearing safe without a can. Every unsuppressed .22 pistol I've shot, I've needed ear plugs. :?





My Mosquito is pretty quiet with these cans, Warlock, Stratus, Spectre. Doesn't matter what ammo. Must be something wrong with the can,,,

User avatar
Chondro
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:37 am
Location: PA

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by Chondro » Sat May 29, 2010 3:16 pm

kokopelli wrote:sorry...Aguila 60 grain. The Remmy's were from a couple of different boxes...
I'll try holding the slide shut and firing a round. Maybe it is going supersonic? -maybe I'm hearing the crack as it does? Oh, and don't mind me- bash the Skeeter all you want, I'm not a huge fan of it anyway...
My thought is now..and a bit fuzzy... is that the slide is opening to soon..Were the Remington's from the same lot? If you just grabbed a few boxes at the local wallyworld they very likely could be from the same brick..I think highly of CCI but I got a whole brick here thats going supersonic..

First I'd rule out the Slide..Then the ammo..Then you have to have the can looked at..Could just be something simple as the core bored out to wide..

I get a free pass today if none of this makes sense..or if I overstepped my bounds again.. :lol:
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"

User avatar
Chondro
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:37 am
Location: PA

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by Chondro » Sat May 29, 2010 3:18 pm

coyote223 wrote:
bikefreek wrote:hell .22's are almost hearing safe without a can!

Yeah, .22 pistols are no where near hearing safe without a can. Every unsuppressed .22 pistol I've shot, I've needed ear plugs. :?





My Mosquito is pretty quiet with these cans, Warlock, Stratus, Spectre. Doesn't matter what ammo. Must be something wrong with the can,,,
Hell I wear ear plugs with subs in my 10/22..But I have hearing like a 16 year old girl..Probably part of the reason why.. :D
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"

User avatar
kokopelli
Silent Operator
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:52 am

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by kokopelli » Sat May 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Ok, so far here's what I've done after demo'ing it for a friend who has a Tactical Innovations Stratus on a Walther p22.
-held the slide shut- no change
-shot some standard velocity Remmy through it, big difference- way louder
-shot an Aguila Colibri 20 grain w/no powder, no sound at all, just sound of slide
-grabbed a couple of rounds from another box of Remmy Subs- loud. Ouch loud.
I have a splitting headache after twenty rounds through this thing. All shots fired outside, in the open, btw.
However- the Rem ammo IS from the same batch, I assume- since I bought the five boxes at the same time. The Aguila 60 grain, however is way loud also.
I'm going to meet my buddy tomorrow with his Walther and can, we're gonna do some switharoo between the two. I'm going to pick up some more ammo tonight to try.
He thought mine was extremely loud also.
I will get some pics of the can and it's innards up here in a bit. Thanks for the replies! ...now I'm getting some Excedrin!

[email protected] Machine
Industry Professional
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Sunny Florida

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by [email protected] Machine » Sat May 29, 2010 5:15 pm

Kokopelli,


If you get a chance, email me pics of the internals of your suppressor. It's possible that you may have gotten a loud prototype core accidentally when you sent your can back in for the core swap. With our current monocore design, the original 1" diameter $99 suppressor is extremely quiet on a Mosquito or P22.

Let me know, and we'll get you squared away.

Thanks!
Brooks
Thompson Machine
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[email protected]
www.thompsonmachine.net

User avatar
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1550
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by WhisperFan » Sat May 29, 2010 5:37 pm

[email protected] Machine wrote:Kokopelli,


If you get a chance, email me pics of the internals of your suppressor. It's possible that you may have gotten a loud prototype core accidentally when you sent your can back in for the core swap. With our current monocore design, the original 1" diameter $99 suppressor is extremely quiet on a Mosquito or P22.

Let me know, and we'll get you squared away.

Thanks!
Brooks
Thompson Machine
Great C/S ..... way to go on that ! :D

I have a single shot lower from Thompson Machine on my bolt BMG upper. The original had some pretty deep scrathes on it and some other problem (other than cosmetic - but I can't remember what it was) My lower was replaced w/o hassle from Thompson .... they have good customer service from my experience.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by bikefreek » Sat May 29, 2010 7:04 pm

Chondro wrote:
coyote223 wrote:
bikefreek wrote:hell .22's are almost hearing safe without a can!

Yeah, .22 pistols are no where near hearing safe without a can. Every unsuppressed .22 pistol I've shot, I've needed ear plugs. :?





My Mosquito is pretty quiet with these cans, Warlock, Stratus, Spectre. Doesn't matter what ammo. Must be something wrong with the can,,,
Hell I wear ear plugs with subs in my 10/22..But I have hearing like a 16 year old girl..Probably part of the reason why.. :D
titsworth tested a 16" 10/22 and it metered 140.5 pistols are mid 150s

freestar
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 10:18 pm
Contact:

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by freestar » Sat May 29, 2010 8:13 pm

If you ever decide to get a suppressor for the GSG-5 make sure you check out the Quicksilver Manufacturing GSG-5 suppressor. It is a great design. You do not have to thread the barrel, savins you the threading cost. It uses the internal threads of the front sight frame area that the fake suppressor uses. You simply screw off the fake suppressor and screw on the real one. It is 12" long and only makes the barrel a few inches longer. It comes apart for cleaning and it is reasonably priced at $375. It makes the rifle very quiet and the rifle functions great with it on with subsonic ammo.

User avatar
Chondro
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:37 am
Location: PA

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by Chondro » Sat May 29, 2010 10:35 pm

kokopelli wrote:Ok, so far here's what I've done after demo'ing it for a friend who has a Tactical Innovations Stratus on a Walther p22.
-held the slide shut- no change
-shot some standard velocity Remmy through it, big difference- way louder
-shot an Aguila Colibri 20 grain w/no powder, no sound at all, just sound of slide
-grabbed a couple of rounds from another box of Remmy Subs- loud. Ouch loud.
I have a splitting headache after twenty rounds through this thing. All shots fired outside, in the open, btw.
However- the Rem ammo IS from the same batch, I assume- since I bought the five boxes at the same time. The Aguila 60 grain, however is way loud also.
I'm going to meet my buddy tomorrow with his Walther and can, we're gonna do some switharoo between the two. I'm going to pick up some more ammo tonight to try.
He thought mine was extremely loud also.
I will get some pics of the can and it's innards up here in a bit. Thanks for the replies! ...now I'm getting some Excedrin!
Hate to keep this thread going now..Your problems are solved...Brooks will take care of you..Done deal..

Have to ask though..Are you saying a 20gr. Aguila round with no powder is cycling the slide of the pistol?
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"

User avatar
Diomed
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 7543
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:59 am
Location: VA

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by Diomed » Sun May 30, 2010 4:04 am

Huh. An acquaintance with one of the Gunbroker specials got good results on a 96/22. Sounded real good. Same on a Mk II - when he switched to subsonics.

User avatar
chingon
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by chingon » Sun May 30, 2010 5:28 pm

I am interested in purchasing your Mosquito
I always tell the truth, even when I lie

User avatar
kokopelli
Silent Operator
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:52 am

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by kokopelli » Sun May 30, 2010 5:44 pm

[email protected] Machine wrote:Kokopelli,


If you get a chance, email me pics of the internals of your suppressor. It's possible that you may have gotten a loud prototype core accidentally when you sent your can back in for the core swap. With our current monocore design, the original 1" diameter $99 suppressor is extremely quiet on a Mosquito or P22.

Let me know, and we'll get you squared away.

Thanks!
Brooks
Thompson Machine
This is why you guys ROCK!! I'm gonna get pics of it this evening- Thanks.

Update-
side by side demo w/ buddies p22 and Stratus- NO contest!! His Stratus was quieter with standard velocity ammo than mine w/ subsonic!!
We tried my can on his p22, still loud. Used my ammo through his can- quiet. So it's not the ammo.
As far as the Colibri- no it won't cycle the slide.
pics this evening I promise!

User avatar
hs338lapua
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:56 am

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by hs338lapua » Sun May 30, 2010 5:47 pm

Chondro wrote:
kokopelli wrote:Ok, so far here's what I've done after demo'ing it for a friend who has a Tactical Innovations Stratus on a Walther p22.
-held the slide shut- no change
-shot some standard velocity Remmy through it, big difference- way louder
-shot an Aguila Colibri 20 grain w/no powder, no sound at all, just sound of slide
-grabbed a couple of rounds from another box of Remmy Subs- loud. Ouch loud.
I have a splitting headache after twenty rounds through this thing. All shots fired outside, in the open, btw.
However- the Rem ammo IS from the same batch, I assume- since I bought the five boxes at the same time. The Aguila 60 grain, however is way loud also.
I'm going to meet my buddy tomorrow with his Walther and can, we're gonna do some switharoo between the two. I'm going to pick up some more ammo tonight to try.
He thought mine was extremely loud also.
I will get some pics of the can and it's innards up here in a bit. Thanks for the replies! ...now I'm getting some Excedrin!
Hate to keep this thread going now..Your problems are solved...Brooks will take care of you..Done deal..

Have to ask though..Are you saying a 20gr. Aguila round with no powder is cycling the slide of the pistol?
Yeah dude those Colibri's are not meant to cycle the action on anything. They sound like a pellet gun without a silencer. I also wouldn't shoot them through a silencer.
You can't ever have too much KFC!

User avatar
kokopelli
Silent Operator
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:52 am

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by kokopelli » Mon May 31, 2010 3:41 pm

sent Brooks the pics, waiting to hear back. Here's what it looks like:

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
JohnInNH
Elite Member
Posts: 3314
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:49 pm
Location: SW NH

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by JohnInNH » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:02 pm

kokopelli wrote:sent Brooks the pics, waiting to hear back. Here's what it looks like:

Image
Looks like your getting some bullet contact on the core... That's some nasty burr/sharp edge on a few baffles.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!

garandman
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 2:01 pm

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by garandman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:29 pm

My Sig Mosquito w/ YHM Mite is def. hearing safe.

I've used a half dozen different types of subsonic ammo. All g-t-g.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....

david0858
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:18 pm

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by david0858 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Is it my imagination or do the holes in the baffles look huge?? :?:

User avatar
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: Oregon Territory

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by Abiqua » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:12 pm

david0858 wrote:Is it my imagination or do the holes in the baffles look huge?? :?:
I thought the same.

Post Reply