My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Re: My first venture into 'silencing' proves dissapointing

Post by Dweezil »

JohnInNH wrote:
kokopelli wrote:sent Brooks the pics, waiting to hear back. Here's what it looks like:

Looks like your getting some bullet contact on the core... That's some nasty burr/sharp edge on a few baffles.
This. Did you shoot the 60grain Aguila stuff first?
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

david0858 wrote:Is it my imagination or do the holes in the baffles look huge?? :?:

Looks like 9mm to me.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
kokopelli
Silent Operator

Post by kokopelli »

david0858 wrote:Is it my imagination or do the holes in the baffles look huge?? :?:
that's what I thought!! -Again, this is my first suppressor, so I had nothing to judge it by. -But they are much bigger than the entry/exit holes on the ends.
Looks like your getting some bullet contact on the core... That's some nasty burr/sharp edge on a few baffles.
That's how it was when I got it- if you notice, the burrs face into the bullet's path. And as far as the 60 grain Aguila, I actually shot that last through it, thinking it would be quieter than all the Remmy subsonics.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

that does not look like a .22 baffle stack to me .. I bet it's your problem .. put a .22 cleaning rod through it and take a pic .. that looks like .38 cal holes to me.. problem solved!!! looks like you got youself a real cheap 9mm can.. a bigger exit hole and you're set! :shock: :shock:
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

JohnInNH wrote:
kokopelli wrote:sent Brooks the pics, waiting to hear back. Here's what it looks like:

shooting SSS through a pistol not made for it .. duh.. surprised the bullet would even leave the can...
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
kokopelli
Silent Operator

Post by kokopelli »

quote]

shooting SSS through a pistol not made for it .. duh.. surprised the bullet would even leave the can...[/quote]

..the burrs are going the opposite way from the bullet's path- they were there when it was brand new.

Update: just got an email from Brooks at Thompson Machine- this was a prototype core; they are going to replace it for the latest type for me! Wooo!
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

I predict you notice a huge difference and you buy more supressors in the future.

They are like potato chips - it's hard to stop at just one. :lol:
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

WhisperFan wrote: They are like potato chips - it's hard to stop at just one. :lol:
Gah, Ain't that truth!
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Don't even get me started..My damn threading bill for this week is gonna kill me..I picked up two Rugers tonight and don't even know what they cost yet...Another AR Barrel by this Friday and a little Taurus pt-22 I just had to have done on Saturday..A few said it couldn't be so curious about how that turns out..

Actually my gunsmith does it really cheap..But not sure after what he went through with them today..I was there for the last hour and a half..He didn't shoot me at least..There is not a damn thing straight on the Rugers..But I love em..The Pt-22 needed to be done by another and that one is gonna cost more than the gun is worth..

I put 80% of the blame on the members here.. :lol: If you didn't know it existed you couldn't have bought it.. :roll:
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

It is not a disease..... no really!! :mrgreen:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
dont4115

Post by dont4115 »

Ive got a custom can from silent industries in Hamilton AL, one of the host is a sig and i think a pellet rifle is actually louder. When its on the remington 504 the only thing you hear is the firing pin :twisted: