First Rimfire Can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

D Boone

First Rimfire Can

Post by D Boone »

Just had my first can approved Coastal Can MIMS. Looking to get the next one, which I want a rimfire suppressor next. Shot three different ones today, and looked through his stock and I need some opinions. Shot both the aluminum and stainless mite, and tac65. The Tac65 seemed the quietest to me. Almost no sound. The mites I thought significantly louder, but still not horrible. I liked the stainless mite and it wasn't much more. What he has in stock is a Tac63, both the mites, and a wraith, all in the 2-300 range. He also had a steel can and a titanium can but they were significantly more costly. I would be suppressing a mosquito, and then a 10/22. The host gun today was a P22. He will let me shoot any of them on my gun before purchase. What are some opinions? I really liked the stainless mite, but wish it was quieter!
Wrench_V10
Silent Operator

Re: First Rimfire Can

Post by Wrench_V10 »

I have a Stratus and I love the thing. The baffles for the Tac65 and Stratus really don't look that different to me. The Stratus is shorter and lighter then the Tac65, and probably a little bit louder. My only small complaint with it is sometimes the FRP is a little loud on it. For a list price of $250 on the Tac65 I don't think you can go wrong with it. My only suggestion is to make sure you get the disassembly tool. You pretty much need one to clean it correctly, and it is not included with the suppressor. Disassembly and reassembly instructions can be found on the Tactical Innovations website.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I'm not sure if you are limiting your choices to the ones you mentioned..You heard those so my choice will make you s--t yourself after you hear it..

<-----------This one...I went from never thinking I'd own a rimfire can to becoming a rimfire nut..I fired 750 rounds of American eagle rimfire for 30 bucks yesterday and today..How can you go wrong? Found about 100 dollars worth of brass as well..You could argue I made money going to the range..Well at least saved it since now I don't have to buy it.. :D
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

D Boone wrote:I really liked the stainless mite, but wish it was quieter!
The Mite sucks on a pistol. If you'd been using a rifle host you would be more impressed.

My standard advice is don't go cheap if at all possible. It's a lifetime purchase. Get the best you can. Try to hear a wider variety of silencers on hosts more appropriate to your situation. Where are you located? Many members here are happy to let other folks test drive their cans.
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

Diomed wrote:
D Boone wrote:My standard advice is don't go cheap if at all possible. It's a lifetime purchase. Get the best you can. Try to hear a wider variety of silencers on hosts more appropriate to your situation. Where are you located? Many members here are happy to let other folks test drive their cans.
+1

For only $100-$200 more you can get a "premium" deuce-deuce can.

"Pay once, cry once" :)
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
D Boone

Post by D Boone »

Chondro, not sure what suppressor that is in your signature line??? Diomed, I did hear the stainless mite on a rifle as well, and it did sound better on the rifle but I would most likely be shooting this on a pistol most often. I live in NC, just east of 95. I don't mind paying more for more quality, but there would come a point of diminishing returns. I am definitely not against paying for quality. I really want one that can be taken apart to clean, I don't understand why a manufacture would make a closed system? What is generally regarded as the quietest on a pistol, can be cleaned, and you can use the sights? I realize that might be three different answers depending on what I value most.
GBI96
Silent But Deadly

Post by GBI96 »

Edit: D Boone, the below descriptions meet all your criteria. Quietest on the market, take apart and you can use your factory sights.

I have the AAC Element and it is wickedly quiet on my pistols and rifles. From what I have read, the SWR Spectre has the same reputation for being so quiet. You can search for the endless number of links about the pros and cons of each, but it boils down to that these two are considered the "top of the line models" of the current day and no matter which one the different posters bought, I have not heard anyone say that they made a mistake with the Element or Spectre. With other mid-priced ones, there have been some that wished they had paid a few more bucks, especially after they heard one of the premium cans compaired to what they had purchased.

The premium cans are not that much more than a so-so ones. As the Major is always posting, give him a call and he will point you in the right direction. He sells pretty much every major brand, so he had first hand knowledge of pretty much all that are made.

Just my .02 and I hope it helps.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

D Boone wrote:Chondro, not sure what suppressor that is in your signature line??? Diomed, I did hear the stainless mite on a rifle as well, and it did sound better on the rifle but I would most likely be shooting this on a pistol most often. I live in NC, just east of 95. I don't mind paying more for more quality, but there would come a point of diminishing returns. I am definitely not against paying for quality. I really want one that can be taken apart to clean, I don't understand why a manufacture would make a closed system? What is generally regarded as the quietest on a pistol, can be cleaned, and you can use the sights? I realize that might be three different answers depending on what I value most.
Its the Liberty Kodiak TL..Quietest on all platforms..Doesn't just do well on the very short barreled pistols..Easiest to clean, Monocore you can just scrape with a knife blade..No blowback, just light carbon but no debri like other cans..No threads in the tube which is the registered part and the only part that matters if its damaged. (Basically the end all rimfire can on any host you chose.)

99.9 percent of the cans out there are in a 1 inch tube that you can use the sights with..

I also own the Kodiak which is even rated for the belt fed .22 magnum machine gun and .22 Hornet and now just bought the Essence which has a titanium core and weighs in at a little over 4 ounces..The TL and Essence have the same design baffle stack..The regular Kodiak is the beefier brick shithouse of them all..The baffle stack of that one looks the same to most who don't know what they are looking at..

http://libertycans.net/rimfire_portal.html

He's also the one that fixes other cans..So if one of the other manufacturers dropped their warranty or its a sealed can he'll take care of you..The retrofit program is more to fix dead cans then sound quality. Its impossible to make them equal the sound of the Kodiaks given all the different tube dimensions. Basically the length is the biggest factor..With the wasted space of the endcap of the Mite he can utlilize that and make it a pretty decent sounding can..

http://libertycans.net/Retrofit.html

Here's some vids I did..Not the best but you get the idea..There's some others with the TL if you look at my other vids..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvQfdwzyRfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2s7nUOCap8
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

D Boone wrote: I don't understand why a manufacture would make a closed system?
Every customer has different needs. Some guys simply don't shoot enough to warrant getting a take apart can and/or don't like the idea of cleaning out the lead & carbon in the can.
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

MAJ MALFUNCTION wrote:
D Boone wrote: I don't understand why a manufacture would make a closed system?
Every customer has different needs. Some guys simply don't shoot enough to warrant getting a take apart can and/or don't like the idea of cleaning out the lead & carbon in the can.

nah, I disagree. When you design a suppressor to be "take-apartable" you add a new dimension of durability issues. It's easier and more simple to design something that is not intended to be disassembled by the end-user.
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering