Can't decide 762-SD, Cyclone, or Cyclone-K?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Wrench_V10
Silent Operator

Can't decide 762-SD, Cyclone, or Cyclone-K?

Post by Wrench_V10 »

Ready to buy one of the three but I can't make my mind up. Whichever one it is will be used on multiple hosts... AR's, and bolts. I'm completely open to suggestions, like to know the ins and outs of all three.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Re: Can't decide 762-SD, Cyclone, or Cyclone-K?

Post by kalikraven »

I'd go with the 762SD because of the QD mounts. It will be more secure than a thread on, but some will say that doesn't matter.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

762 sd all the way. I am very pleased with it on my AR's, on my 11.5 SBR it is a perfect length, and is killer with everything on my Rem 700. Easy to switch around, and when I get an AR-10 style rifle I'll be good to go. The advantage to me is that I still have the brakes/hiders on all the guns with the can off. The 18T 7.62 brake is good times, but on a range can give the people next to you a concussion. So that could be a plus or minus I suppose.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
Illuminated_one
Silent But Deadly

Post by Illuminated_one »

One of the employees at my dealer has a 762SD that causes his groups to open up severely. He's been trying to get ahold of AAC to get the problem figured out. He says it mounts tight, no baffle strikes or other obvious problems, but the groups open up considerably.

Due to this, my choice would be one of the Cyclones.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "

Mark Twain
RavenArmament
Silent But Deadly

Post by RavenArmament »

Sticking a silencer on the end of a barrel will change harmonics and will affect group. Shooting a silenced rifle is different than an unsuppressed weapon. Tune the ammunition for the silenced setup if that's how you shoot it the most.
Manufacturer of the best subsonic 9mm ammunition.
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

kalikraven wrote:I'd go with the 762SD because of the QD mounts. It will be more secure than a thread on.
+1!

It's less than ideal to run a thread on can on a semi-auto platform. Evertime the bolt/bolt carrier slams closed it acts like a little impact wrench and it will eventually cause your can to work loose on the threads. If you don't notice it happening, then you can get a baffle strike as the can comes loose on the threads (just had this happend to a customer a couple of weeks ago). With a QD can, you can use rockset between the threads on the barrel and the threads on the QD mount, so it's much more secure and you won't have to constantly check to see if the can is coming loose as you're shooting.

Bryon
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Illuminated_one wrote:One of the employees at my dealer has a 762SD that causes his groups to open up severely. He's been trying to get ahold of AAC to get the problem figured out. He says it mounts tight, no baffle strikes or other obvious problems, but the groups open up considerably.

There are a LOT of 762SD's out there, and this is the first time I've heard this complaint....I know mine doesn't cause this. I'd say it's an issue with the gun. To the original poster, +1 on getting a 762SD.
Golf_1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Golf_1911 »

I suggest 726SD
Silent But Death!!!
Illuminated_one
Silent But Deadly

Post by Illuminated_one »

freakshow10mm wrote:Sticking a silencer on the end of a barrel will change harmonics and will affect group. Shooting a silenced rifle is different than an unsuppressed weapon. Tune the ammunition for the silenced setup if that's how you shoot it the most.
rockman96 wrote: There are a LOT of 762SD's out there, and this is the first time I've heard this complaint....I know mine doesn't cause this. I'd say it's an issue with the gun. To the original poster, +1 on getting a 762SD.
The rifle shot fine with the can for some time, and only started doing strange things recently. I know the owner has tried different loads.
The owner shoots in 'sniper' matches across the Western US, and has at least one first place trophy that I've seen, so I know he knows what he's doing.

I'll be curious to find out what the problem actually is once he gets it back to AAC.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "

Mark Twain
RavenArmament
Silent But Deadly

Post by RavenArmament »

Oh, I thought this was a new installation of a suppressor. Yeah, if it has been in use for some time with no issue, then I would send in the rifle with silencer to AAC (provided they accept the system) along with some ammunition used with the system. Something has to be up. Hopefully the crew at AAC will figure something out and get your shooter back on the line.
Manufacturer of the best subsonic 9mm ammunition.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

Wrench_V10 wrote:...will be used on multiple hosts... AR's, and bolts.
You want a QD mount for this type of application. The QD mounts are available in many different threads so you won't have to get your AR barrels threaded 5/8-24. The QD mounts can also be used on lighter sporter bolt gun barrels that are not large enough to have a shoulder for a thread mount silencer.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Illuminated_one wrote:One of the employees at my dealer has a 762SD that causes his groups to open up severely. He's been trying to get ahold of AAC to get the problem figured out. He says it mounts tight, no baffle strikes or other obvious problems, but the groups open up considerably.

762-SD for versatility/ ease of switching.

CYCLONE for the quietest performance.

As to the above, certainly not right. The can should tighten groups. Something is wacky.

We have been closed all week moving to the new place, but have your friend call Mers next week. We'll get him sorted out.
Kick Ass Design
Wrench_V10
Silent Operator

Post by Wrench_V10 »

Thanks for all the info... exactly what I was looking for. Looks like 762-SD is what it will be. So the next question is 18T vs 51T, or does it not really matter? And are they interchangeable?
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

If you have a choice I'd say the 51T definitely. Those weren't available when I got mine or I would have one....with that said, the 18T has never caused me any problems, but I keep n eye on it.
Wrench_V10
Silent Operator

Post by Wrench_V10 »

rockman96 wrote:If you have a choice I'd say the 51T definitely. Those weren't available when I got mine or I would have one....with that said, the 18T has never caused me any problems, but I keep n eye on it.
Keep an eye on it for what exactly?
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Wrench_V10 wrote:
rockman96 wrote:If you have a choice I'd say the 51T definitely. Those weren't available when I got mine or I would have one....with that said, the 18T has never caused me any problems, but I keep n eye on it.
Keep an eye on it for what exactly?
I assume he meant keeping an eye on the suppressor backing off of the mount while firing. The 18 tooth is not like the positive ratcheting mechanism of the 51 tooth mounts, so there is the possibility of the suppressor coming loose during firing. The 18 tooth uses two springs to keep it from backing off.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
HotLead

Post by HotLead »

Will an older (2009 model) 7.62SD designed to work with the 18T Blackout, work with the 51T Blackout as well? Or are the springs different between the older and newer cans?
My Dealer has last years model in stock and I cant decide either.
Black Belt in Glock
SWR Spectre
AAC 7.62SD, TiRant 45
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

HotLead wrote:Will an older (2009 model) 7.62SD designed to work with the 18T Blackout, work with the 51T Blackout as well? Or are the springs different between the older and newer cans?
My Dealer has last years model in stock and I cant decide either.
It will not lock up well on the 51T mount. I'd be really concerned about it backing off.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
SUB-MG
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SUB-MG »

Has anyone confirmed the new 51T 762-SD will mount on an AR-15 with a 1/2-28 51T mount for a M4-2K?

I would figure that is should but I have not heard anyone confirm this. I'm expecting many of my customers will be interested in using the new 762-SD on their 5.56mm and 7.62mm AR family rifles and others.
B&R Guns
FFL/SOT
Lees Summit, MO
http://WWW.BRGUNS.COM
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

SUB-MG wrote:Has anyone confirmed the new 51T 762-SD will mount on an AR-15 with a 1/2-28 51T mount for a M4-2K?

I would figure that is should but I have not heard anyone confirm this. I'm expecting many of my customers will be interested in using the new 762-SD on their 5.56mm and 7.62mm AR family rifles and others.
It will. :)
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
MCFLURY
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MCFLURY »

get the 7.62sd, I have one for my M25 White Feather, my DSA OSW my 7.62x39 XCR and my DTA SRS its real convenient to switch from host to host and still have FH or brakes. (Have not shot the m1a suppressed yet)