The Hush Hole?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BachelorJack
Silent But Deadly

Re: The Hush Hole?

Post by BachelorJack »

I had someone call me at dinner and refer me to your post HUSH, people in the industry are taking notice...
Arghhh!!
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

BachelorJack wrote:I had someone call me at dinner and refer me to your post HUSH, people in the industry are taking notice...
I think that's great, I like to see others taking an interest, all are welcome. :)
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

Useless post, so I apologize for wasting threadspace, but this is interesting..I'm getting into engineering, this will be interesting to come back to and experiment with when I'm smarter :mrgreen:
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Cheetah wrote:Useless post, so I apologize for wasting threadspace, but this is interesting..I'm getting into engineering, this will be interesting to come back to and experiment with when I'm smarter :mrgreen:
Oh heck, everyone has something to contribute no matter what, if your going to college that's a smart idea right there which shows you're smart. :)
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

If people in the industry have an interest, I'll be happy to try out any ideas they might have, seeing as I already have a sectioned suppressor that makes it easy.
Just let me know what other ideas people have in mind. Like I said, I'm having someone work out the physics behind it.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

LavaRed wrote:And a very significant contribution it is, I daresay. I am thoroughly indebted to you for having shared this with me, and I hope to be able to carry it further, seeing as I have a suppressor that allows me to experiment and tweak. I've also been in touch with some of my mathematician and physicist friends, and on showing them the principle, put it to them to develop the equations that model this problem, so that the optimal sized hole may be discovered, and the principles understood.

Yes, it would seem logical that one's position relative to the suppressor would affect the amount of cancellation. There is no doubt that there is a significant cancellation in all directions; I have had people listen to it at various distances and different directions, and they all report a much improved sound reduction. I suppose several microphones in different directions would be required to accurately determine the effect of the hole's position on reduction. However, I don't have the means to test that, for now.
I didn't want this thread to drop too far down, it is fascinating. Lava, have you (or anyone else) had a chance to play around with this any more? Your video shows something interesting, in that there appears to be nearly the same volume of gases escaping the Hush hole as at the exit hole.

I may have to do a Form 1 soon....
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Hush wrote:
LavaRed wrote:Pardon my ignorance, what's a carb jet? :oops:
He had me scratching my head over the carb jet also so I looked it up, its part of a carburetor, see here: http://www.cartpartsplus.com/performanc ... -jets.html

I was never into rebuilding carburetors or working on cars.
Hush, shades of 4 bbl Rochesters and Carter. Your wisdom of 74 years and open sharing
inspires us. Oh, at 72 I now have an 'elder' to whom I can show respect. :) :)

Monsieur Morin at the French Forum << http://www.tirmaillyforum.com/mildot/vi ... &start=150>> shows his innovative design with some Hush Holes.

I particularly admired how he broke the bounds by having cylinders off a main rectangular can.
An Osprey with chubby 'REESE'S peanut butter cups " on each side.

Congrats.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

I recently acquired a pressure sensitive film which is said to be new, and useable in wind-tunnel testing. Soon, I will be carrying out several tests with the film inside de suppressor, to be able to measure, once and for all, pressures inside different suppressor parts.

Hopefully this will throw more light into the phenomenon of suppression, beyond simulations.

I intend to find out the optimal sized hush hole so that pressure is equal at both points.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Hush, shades of 4 bbl Rochesters and Carter. Your wisdom of 74 years and open sharing
Gosh, I don't know weather to feel like the old man of the mountain or ask you to try and snatch the pebbles from my hand. :lol: But either way I am honored.

I have an idea for a .22 rifle and pistol that uses a small can two or three inches in length and about an inch in diameter that I should put to paper before I kick the proverbial bucket.
I envision "Hush's Silent System" along side the mfg's name.
I recently acquired a pressure sensitive film which is said to be new, and useable in wind-tunnel testing. Soon, I will be carrying out several tests with the film inside de suppressor, to be able to measure, once and for all, pressures inside different suppressor parts.

Hopefully this will throw more light into the phenomenon of suppression, beyond simulations.

I intend to find out the optimal sized hush hole so that pressure is equal at both points.
That's exciting news Lava Red, I'm looking forward to your findings. :D

Hush
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Hush wrote:
Gosh, I don't know weather to feel like the old man of the mountain or ask you to try and snatch the pebbles from my hand. :lol: But either way I am honored.

I have an idea for a .22 rifle and pistol that uses a small can two or three inches in length and about an inch in diameter that I should put to paper before I kick the proverbial bucket.
I envision "Hush's Silent System" along side the mfg's name.

That's exciting news Lava Red, I'm looking forward to your findings. :D

Hush

The next can I make, which will have the system, will have the Hush Silent System label as well. I'd already thought of including a mention of it.

I just hope one day, these contributions of ours can get incorporated into mainstream silencer design and advance the science of suppression.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Well my friend Lave Red while I give the Hush hole freely to the world and you to develop further, my plans for the special rifle and pistol with the short silencer I intend to sell if possible, I want to make sure my wife has some money to take care of herself after I am gone.
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

if you two chaps end up dead, we will know who to look for :lol: anywyas, this looks bad ass. whats your job red? and it sure is cool that you can test stuff down there and then let everyone else know what happens. seems we arent as free as we would like to be. and i was pondering in the shower how ridiculous it is that we have to contact the fun police if we wish to take anything other than a silencer outta state for permission. asinine!
its quiet time!
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

saltydecimator wrote:if you two chaps end up dead, we will know who to look for :lol: anywyas, this looks bad ass. whats your job red? and it sure is cool that you can test stuff down there and then let everyone else know what happens. seems we arent as free as we would like to be. and i was pondering in the shower how ridiculous it is that we have to contact the fun police if we wish to take anything other than a silencer outta state for permission. asinine!
I just graduated from university as an Industrial Engineer. I'm doing my master's degree in Business Administration. And I just help my father out on the farm. I'm trying to get my own business off the ground selling coffee by the pound online, in case anyone's interested. And of course my hobby is collecting guns and as of six years ago trying to develop quieter suppressors. My dad hates my guts for the suppressor thing tho, 'cause I've spent a lot of time and money on it. But he grudgingly funds me, so it's all good.

And Mr. Hush, I'd love to see your short silencer come to fruition. :)
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

Maybe this will help.

"It works by expanding the incoming flow through many small holes. This expansion creates a reduction and frequency shift in the vent noise. By correct selection of hole size, spacing and pattern this reduction can be optimized to produce an overall quieting."

Perhaps a design like so:

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Thank you for your kind words Lava Red. :)

Munk, that's an interesting idea you have there, thanks, we will keep it in mind. :)
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

LavaRed wrote:
saltydecimator wrote:if you two chaps end up dead, we will know who to look for :lol: anywyas, this looks bad ass. whats your job red? and it sure is cool that you can test stuff down there and then let everyone else know what happens. seems we arent as free as we would like to be. and i was pondering in the shower how ridiculous it is that we have to contact the fun police if we wish to take anything other than a silencer outta state for permission. asinine!
I just graduated from university as an Industrial Engineer. I'm doing my master's degree in Business Administration. And I just help my father out on the farm. I'm trying to get my own business off the ground selling coffee by the pound online, in case anyone's interested. And of course my hobby is collecting guns and as of six years ago trying to develop quieter suppressors. My dad hates my guts for the suppressor thing tho, 'cause I've spent a lot of time and money on it. But he grudgingly funds me, so it's all good.

good times. college as expensive down there as it is up here? i will prob do a engineering degree before i am dead.

i have a degree in technical services management, for aircraft maint that is... i am always down for some coffee. pm with details. side note, has anyone tried the cold brew method? it takes soem of the acid outta the coffee and i think gives it a better flavor...
its quiet time!
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

saltydecimator wrote:
LavaRed wrote:

good times. college as expensive down there as it is up here? i will prob do a engineering degree before i am dead.

i have a degree in technical services management, for aircraft maint that is... i am always down for some coffee. pm with details. side note, has anyone tried the cold brew method? it takes soem of the acid outta the coffee and i think gives it a better flavor...
PM sent.

An engineering degree will run you about $35k here at the best university. An MBA about $17k. The reason is the best colleges don't staff full time teachers. Most of the teachers have day jobs or are retired, which is good because they have loads of hands-on experience and contacts, and they teach on the side because they want to. They also frequently bring in foreign experts and host them for the duration of a course.
Another thing is all students live off campus. It's a very different system here. I didn't enjoy university as much as some, 'cause I've seldom, if ever, attended a party, or had fun in general. I've always been the loner geek, sticking to my guns and religion, conservative and free-market views.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Lava Red, after watching the video of you firing the handguns outside and viewing the smoke from the 3 and 1 oil coming out the Hush hole I think it would be more effective if you moved the section with the hole up one section towards the muzzle for a better effect.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Hush wrote:Lava Red, after watching the video of you firing the handguns outside and viewing the smoke from the 3 and 1 oil coming out the Hush hole I think it would be more effective if you moved the section with the hole up one section towards the muzzle for a better effect.
Thanks. Will try inmediately and report back results :)
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

LavaRed wrote:
Hush wrote:Lava Red, after watching the video of you firing the handguns outside and viewing the smoke from the 3 and 1 oil coming out the Hush hole I think it would be more effective if you moved the section with the hole up one section towards the muzzle for a better effect.
Thanks. Will try inmediately and report back results :)

Test results negative. Noise increased to pre-hole levels again. The best position is right in the middle.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

I wonder if performance would improve going the other direction, towards the mount?
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

[/quote]

I didn't enjoy university as much as some, 'cause I've seldom, if ever, attended a party, or had fun in general. I've always been the loner geek, sticking to my guns and religion, conservative and free-market views.[/quote]
well that is interesting. thats why most foreigners that come here become millionaires, unlike us spoiled Americans.... i just dont get how these clowns get away with saying such ignorant s--t and no-one calls them on it....
its quiet time!
lilfuzzybuny
Silent But Deadly

Post by lilfuzzybuny »

im glued :shock: for shits and giggles. just maybe, two holes parralel oposite sides >O< . most likely they will need to be round about half the size of the single hole size.

nts: i need my own firearms and a plethera of steel laying around
smooth is learned, fast is practiced, precision is earned.
quietoldfart
Senior Silent Operator

Post by quietoldfart »

I've just run across this very interesting but somehow abandoned discussion while searching nfatalk, and my curiosity is piqued significantly. My own experimentation with .22" integrated pistol silencers has come to something of a standstill, but if boring a small hole and threading it for a grub screw and testing various tiny holes in that could yield further efficiency of suppression I'd be very keen to give it a try. LavaRed; did you ever hear anything of utility from your physicist/mathematician friends? Did you pursue this Hush Hole noise cancellation further? And how goes the by-the-pound coffee exportation business?
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

quietoldfart wrote:I've just run across this very interesting but somehow abandoned discussion while searching nfatalk, and my curiosity is piqued significantly. My own experimentation with .22" integrated pistol silencers has come to something of a standstill, but if boring a small hole and threading it for a grub screw and testing various tiny holes in that could yield further efficiency of suppression I'd be very keen to give it a try. LavaRed; did you ever hear anything of utility from your physicist/mathematician friends? Did you pursue this Hush Hole noise cancellation further? And how goes the by-the-pound coffee exportation business?
Whoa, I can't believe I've been in this game for over 5 years!

Well, I still have the Hush Hole suppressor, but, I never got the concept to work in anything else besides a .22LR. It didn't really make a difference in .45 ACP, for example, and I guess I dropped it soon after to pursue experimentation with an "air wipe" titanium monocore with a carbon fiber tube. That's my main suppressor now, and it has lasted for over 25k rounds.

As for exporting coffee by the pound, it never really worked out. I guess not many people were interested. I'm still pursuing business ideas 5 years later.

ETA: My most effective suppressor turned out to be a mini-can that's 4" long and 7/8" OD, with a welded monocore stack using 3 parabolic baffles, and a CF tube. Shooting high velocity Aguila 40 gr. out of a Beretta 21A, it really makes a high pitched Hollywood-esque sound. However, it needs to be wet, and if you shoot more than 2 magazines through it, it becomes so stuck that the stack will break when disassembling, since everything is 1/32" thick. So it's really more of a gimmick can.