Beretta 84/85/87 Thread Barrel

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Wally
Silent But Deadly

Beretta 84/85/87 Thread Barrel

Post by Wally »

Can you thread the barrels on the Beretta Cheetah Series or do you have to buy a new barrel...Are barrels available and if so from who?

Thanks, Wally
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

You can thread the existing barrel of an 87 (.22) and use an adaptor that is integral with the rear mount of the silencer or seperate. Beretta also sells the 5.9" barrels used in the old 87BB (~$180.00). The .380 members of the Cheetah line would be more difficult. I've seen longer factory barrels for them over the years, but would advise against a suppressed blowback .380. they tend to be louder than a 9mm due to breach noise.

Mike/AAC
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Post by Dark Tranquility »

Mike: I assume you are talking about the Beretta 87BB/LB. Do you know where I can purchase one of these barrels? Beretta USA doesn’t sell parts. Or at least they don’t indicate it on their web sight. And to clarify this barrel will fit in the current production Beretta 87 Cheetah .22lr pistols correct?

I would like to cut the barrel back 5.9 inches the have it threaded with the interrupted threading for use with your Aviator. I do not want to use the slim line. I want an extended barrel onto which I can attach any 1/2X28 tpi suppressor on a current production Beretta 87 Cheetah 8 shot .22lr pistol.

This is the most confusing little pistol out there. There seem to be DA/SA variants and SA only pistols which all have the same look and trigger. There also the model 87 Cheetah, the modle 87BB (which was discontinued), the 87BB/LB which supposedly had a 5.9 inch barrel. However all of the pictures all look the same (just like the modle 87 cheetah).

Thanks, Dan
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

Dan,

You won't be able to thread an 87 barrel 1/2-28. The barrel is right at 1/2" diameter, so there is no way to have a shoulder behind the threads for alignment. 7/16-28 is about the largest thread you can out on an 87 barrel and have an alignment surface behind the threads.

Unless things have changed at Beretta USA, you can call their parts department and order the long barrel that was available on the 87BB. This would give you plent of barrel to cut it back and thread it for an adaptor. The barrels cost around $175.00 whan I priced them a few years back.

Mike/AAC
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Reviving an old thread here. Do you think the 5.9â€
joshsc
Elite Member

Post by joshsc »

[quote="Dark Tranquility"]Reviving an old thread here. Do you think the 5.9â€
AAA
Industry Professional

Post by AAA »

Beretta get the 87 and 87 target barrels in stock from time to time.
Either which will work for threading purposes. Obviously the target length barrel needs to be shortened. One thing to note is that the replacment barrels from Beretta may require some fitting.
For 1/2"-28 we add an extension.

Tornado Technologies
Mailing Address:
22115 NW Imbrie Drive #181
Hillsboro OR 97124
PH: (503)690-8000
Web: www.tornado-technologies.com
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

The Beretta 87 is still the best damn looking suppressed 22 pistol there is and with a Slimliter it is even better looking.

Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Mongo wrote:The Beretta 87 is still the best damn looking suppressed 22 pistol there is ...

I agree :wink:

Last edited by WhisperFan on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
ncsu90
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncsu90 »

WhisperFan wrote:
Mongo wrote:The Beretta 87 is still the best damn looking suppressed 22 pistol there is ...

I agree :wink:

Nice pistol Whisper! Who did the barrel threading for you? I've been looking at purchasing an 87T as I am left handed and it has ambidextrous safeties, but have been unable to find anyone that list threading work for it. Doesn't the sleeve have to be removed by heat? Here's the real question - How does it shoot?
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

ncsu90 wrote:Nice pistol Whisper! Who did the barrel threading for you? I've been looking at purchasing an 87T as I am left handed and it has ambidextrous safeties, but have been unable to find anyone that list threading work for it. Doesn't the sleeve have to be removed by heat? Here's the real question - How does it shoot?
The barrel shroud was hogged out and the barrel was threaded and an adapter was made. All these things were made to my specs by a local machinist that I know. He isn't really a 'gunsmith' but he has done a lot of work for me in the past.

The barrel shroud was held pretty tight to the barrel. If your 87T is like mine, there are two set screws that hold the shroud to the barrel. the barrel isn't 'dimpled' for the set screws, but rather there are two rooves cut into the barrel where the set screws are. Before Beretta put it together for the final assembly, they squirted lock-tight through the set screw holes, and into the grooves. I got it out by pressing the barrel out, I didn't need heat.

Last edited by WhisperFan on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

AAA: So if I pick up a 87 target barrel you can shorten and thread it for 7/16 x 28 tpi to fit an 87 cheetah? I really don’t want to use an adaptor. I see YHM makes some .22 cans in 7/16 x 28 tpi? I wouldn’t mind having a dedicated can for the gun.

Thanks,

Dan
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Re: Beretta 84/85/87 Thread Barrel

CDNN has the Beretta 87 Cheetah .22lr 5.9” extended barrels for $69.99. Just picked one up. Don’t even have the gun yet.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/be87ta225lob.html

Is anyone making suppressors with the 7/16X28 tpi threading?

Dan
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I checked maybe... 3 days ago?... and CDNN did NOT have extra Beretta 87 barrels. Now I open ST and see they do... I just ordered one of the extended ones. Thank you so much. Finally going to get a silencer on my beautiful 87 Cheetah.
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

These things seem so scarce. I looked all over the place back a couple years ago. Even called Beretta but they said they sold off all the barrels to CDNN. When I called CDNN they said they were all gone. I guess they must have found some extras they had forgotten about.

What is your plan for it? Are you going to thread it 7/16X28 and try to get someone to make you a can or do you have something else in mind?

A couple years ago a bunch of manufacturers listed the 7/16X28 tpi option as available (AAC, Gemtech, YHM) but I don’t see it any longer. I don’t mind having a dedicated can for a gun as nice as these.

Dan
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Dark Tranquility wrote: These things seem so scarce. I looked all over the place back a couple years ago. Even called Beretta but they said they sold off all the barrels to CDNN. When I called CDNN they said they were all gone. I guess they must have found some extras they had forgotten about.
They are scarce. But what is "they"? The pistols? Scarce! The barrels? Damn scarce! I only wish they were expensive, because that would imply that I've found one, but just for a high price. No - the reality is that they are very, very hard to find too (thanks again for the find and save). Its no wonder they're scarce, they shoot really well, and they're obviously well made - a fact that presents itself from the first time they get picked up. These 87s are as sweet as can be.
Dark Tranquility wrote:What is your plan for it? Are you going to thread it 7/16X28 and try to get someone to make you a can or do you have something else in mind?
No, even though it must have an adapter made for it, I intend to put a 'standard' 1/2 x 28 on it. I'm not even sure if Slimlighters can be had anymore - but even if they could, I'd have to seriously weigh that against the flexibility of using a more common silencer on a .22 rifle as well as this pistol. Of course, anything other than a Slimlighter means that the gunsights will be partially obscured - but after shooting my GLOCK/Evo-9 that way, it isn't nearly as bad as it would seem to be at first.

My knee-jerk reaction is to go with a Spectre, but I'm going to have to get hot-and-heavy with the reading as "buying time" approaches. Part of the delay is determing specifically which .22 rifle I'm going to buy (heavily leaning on the M&P 15-22 with threaded barrel).
Dark Tranquility wrote:A couple years ago a bunch of manufacturers listed the 7/16X28 tpi option as available (AAC, Gemtech, YHM) but I don’t see it any longer. I don’t mind having a dedicated can for a gun as nice as these.

Dan
I won't argue that - not in the least. An 87 is a top-notch, built-to-last-a-lifetime, but with a tremendous amount of elegance to it as well for something so well built. I'd love a dedicated can for it. Maybe one day I'll get a dedicated can for it. But right now... getting a dedicated means taking my name off of a waiting list for a Kel-Tek RFB (because of funds) - and I'm not willing to forgo .308 bullpup goodness.

To anyone else out there who is looking at buying a .22 pistol - take a damn good look at a Beretta 87 Cheetah. It is more expensive than a P22, but it will outlast 3 P22s, and a few Sig Mosquitos too. Its more expensive, but considering how much you'll shoot it, and the fact that its barrel length will keep bulk-pack subsonic.... give it a second look.
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Let me know what kind of adaptor you get and who makes it for you. I might have one of these made just to keep around.

Thanks, Dan
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Anyone on the 84?
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

LawBob wrote:Anyone on the 84?
I know this is old, but if anybody knows if/how I could suppress the 84 I'd appreciate it. Sure would look cool.
I've gotta stop this habit.
MrM2hb

Post by MrM2hb »

My first post-cool. I just had Hi-Desertdog tactical in Nevada thread a Beretta 21a 22lr for me, they would know what to do. They are very helpful.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

MrM2hb wrote:My first post-cool. I just had Hi-Desertdog tactical in Nevada thread a Beretta 21a 22lr for me, they would know what to do. They are very helpful.

Thanks, I'll check into it. Sure is a pretty slick looking gun.
I've gotta stop this habit.