dip questions and my recent method....

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

dip questions and my recent method....

Post by saltydecimator »

i came across these protein shot bottles (wal-fart), and like the good hoarder that i am i saved them till i came up with a use. well i think i have for 1 atleast.

i dont like the toxic waste around my house so i figured the least of it the better. as you can see, the tube o the Spectre fits completely inside with the lid on.

question i have is how do you neutralize the dip? after i get it on tools etc? and how quickly does it get into your blood stream? i wear gloves of course, but if i wash splashes off withing a minute or two i am okay?
its quiet time!
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Re: dip questions and my recent method....

Post by morpheus »

I just got a new Spectre and was wondering if it is very difficult to take the end caps off after you have shot several hundred rounds through it.
snipersubsonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by snipersubsonic »

shouldnt be if you use plenty of anti-sieze and dont tighten it too much when its still hot.
Jeremy
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

Yes, they can be difficult. Kinda a goofy way I do it, but I place the end cap removal tool on the ground. Place a wrench on the ground with the removal tool. I stand on the wrench, push down and twist like hell... nobody laugh, it works. :wink:

If it still doesn't come off, use a vise and strap wrench.

Sorry to hijack. I'm not sure about getting "splashed" with the dip. Just use gloves and move slow... shouldn't be a problem.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I might have to buy some of those protein whey things just for the bottles.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

Ben B. wrote:I might have to buy some of those protein whey things just for the bottles.
i will mail ya one if ya want...

my end caps are pretty loose, i always only use hand pressure.

so no-one knows how to neutralize the solution? baking soda? milk? water and soap?
its quiet time!
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

PM sent
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Ben B. wrote:PM sent
Take the "dip" to Haz-mat or your local hazardous waste day. Creating it is easy, neutralizing not so much.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I thought saturating it with epsom salts neutralizes it. I still dispose of it hazmat, but i feel better about making it less deadly.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

saltydecimator wrote:i came across these protein shot bottles (wal-fart), and like the good hoarder that i am i saved them till i came up with a use. well i think i have for 1 atleast.

i dont like the toxic waste around my house so i figured the least of it the better. as you can see, the tube o the Spectre fits completely inside with the lid on.

question i have is how do you neutralize the dip? after i get it on tools etc? and how quickly does it get into your blood stream? i wear gloves of course, but if i wash splashes off withing a minute or two i am okay?

I'm kind of surprised your last baffle came out of the end cap. Mines doesn't? :?
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Bowen1911 wrote:I thought saturating it with epsom salts neutralizes it. I still dispose of it hazmat, but i feel better about making it less deadly.
How do you verify it has been neutralized? Safer is better but, without verification who knows if it is any safer?
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Sid Post wrote:
Bowen1911 wrote:I thought saturating it with epsom salts neutralizes it. I still dispose of it hazmat, but i feel better about making it less deadly.
How do you verify it has been neutralized? Safer is better but, without verification who knows if it is any safer?
well thats why if you live near me, keep your cats locked up

i'm kidding. i have no idea to how to verify it is 100% safe, but oh well. thats why there are people paid to deal with hazmat disposal.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Rick Finsta
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Rick Finsta »

"The Dip" is just acetic acid (vinegar), right? If so, I can see that the lead acetate (which would be disassociated to some degree in water - I don't know the number) would form lead chloride from the magnesium chloride (epsom salts) and precipitate out. If you keep adding the MgCl2 and don't get any more salt crashing out, then you can probably sewer the water with a guilt-free conscience and keep the lead chloride for Hazmat disposal day.

FYI, though, once it is haz waste, it's always haz waste, so legally there is no "neutralizing" it under RCRA (my understanding). Best CYA is probably to keep it all for haz waste day.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

OH... MY... GOD... IT'S DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP!.

That was obligatory. Anyway, has anyone tried the brass cleaner (vibrating medium) trick on a Spectre yet? It sounds a lot safer than the Dip.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

The Spectre end cap is VERY hard to get off after a few hundread rounds.

I used the dip alone to get mine clean, finally a friend who had a vice got that end cap off,I was rather suprised to find out that while it was very clean, it still had s--t in it. So the dip cleans about 90% of the s--t, the other 10 requires good old fashion elbow grease.
NFAtalk.org
texjames
Silent But Deadly

Post by texjames »

I soaked my new 22 can in WD40 in this 30mm case.
Wasn't that dirty but i wanted to see how it looked after 300 rounds.
I glass bead blasted my baffles...
panaceabeachbum
Silent Operator

Post by panaceabeachbum »

those little bottles are called pre-forms, used for blow molding bottles. Kind of interesting to see the original "tube" MAC intended for their pop bottle adapter pictured in a suppressor thread.
RICHARD THOMPSON
www.thompsonmachine.net