AK-74 suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

rodnocker1

AK-74 suppressor

Post by rodnocker1 »

I just bought a CIA AK-74 chambered in 5.45x39 and am trying to find out if anyone makes a suppressor to fit the threads on the front sight where the flash suppressor screws on? I'm thinking I will have to have it custom made but thought I might check with the Experts just in case there is one out there (somewhere).

Any leads/information will be appreciated. Thanks!
Rodney
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Re: AK-74 suppressor

Post by Sid Post »

rodnocker1 wrote:I just bought a CIA AK-74 chambered in 5.45x39 and am trying to find out if anyone makes a suppressor to fit the threads on the front sight where the flash suppressor screws on? I'm thinking I will have to have it custom made but thought I might check with the Experts just in case there is one out there (somewhere).

Any leads/information will be appreciated. Thanks!
Make sure the bore is centered on the threads before you get too far. AK's generally have generous diameter baffle holes because the threads are course and generally not concentric with the bore.
panaceabeachbum
Silent Operator

Post by panaceabeachbum »

do you meen CAI AK74 ?
RICHARD THOMPSON
www.thompsonmachine.net
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Based on their performance during testing on nfatalk I would definitely pass. I don't like hating on Red Jacket because they build amazing guns, just my .02.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
rodnocker1

Post by rodnocker1 »

panaceabeachbum wrote:do you meen CAI AK74 ?
Century International Arms, Inc. but yeah, that's the one I mean. :wink:
Rodney
Farmallsh
Silent But Deadly

Post by Farmallsh »

This

I've got the BMF model. It metered out 142-145 on a 10" barrel with 5.56
urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Post by urban assault »

I copied my reply in an early AK thread so you would have the benefit of the pics. You do it this way and you'll be able to use an AAC suppressor made with a modern material like Inconel.

Here you go...

"Here is an adapter I had made up so I could run my AAC M42000 on my little Overland SBR AK74, using an E. German blank firing adapter and an AAC 51t Blackout flashhider that were welded together.

I had a machinist turn down, bore out, and then thread the blank adapter so that the AAC Blackout would thread onto it. All the work was done on a lathe to ensure concentricity.

After everything checked out, the Blackout was torqued onto the blank adapter, and then the two pieces were carefully welded together.

I never got to shoot the suppressor on the rifle with the AK adapter because I sold it before it was papered, but the AK adapter fit the rifle just fine, and when I ran a brass rod down the barrel I had no clearance issues.

I think you could do something similar and be just fine.

Here are a few pics of the completed AK adapter after it was painted...

-urban
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

ThePatriot wrote:
Based on their performance during testing on nfatalk I would definitely pass. I don't like hating on Red Jacket because they build amazing guns, just my .02.
How do we know that it was the silencer's fault and not the ports in the gas block?
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Schulze wrote:
ThePatriot wrote:
How do we know that it was the silencer's fault and not the ports in the gas block?
A "74" is going to be "loud"( in comparision....) no matter what you use. Will builds a nice silencer that is made for the AK-74.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The reason why we don't make that AK adapter is that the AK threads don't seem to be concentric often enough. So there would be too many people with baffle strikes. At least that was the case when AAC made the Krinkov can, and the very reason why it is no longer sold.

It is just not good customer service to have baffle strikes, even when the rifle is at fault.

Using an M4-2000 for this application scares me as per trashing the can - a 762-SD would have a larger bore and so lessen the risk of shooting cheap AK ammo from a short barrel with non-concentric threads.
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

silencertalk wrote:The reason why we don't make that AK adapter is that the AK threads don't seem to be concentric often enough. So there would be too many people with baffle strikes. At least that was the case when AAC made the Krinkov can, and the very reason why it is no longer sold.

It is just not good customer service to have baffle strikes, even when the rifle is at fault.

Using an M4-2000 for this application scares me as per trashing the can - a 762-SD would have a larger bore and so lessen the risk of shooting cheap AK ammo from a short barrel with non-concentric threads.
Would use of a new US made barrel remedy that problem? I've noticed a lot of kits are coming w/o barrels so a new US one is purchased. Or is it a problem with the overall design?
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Each gun needs to be checked. I can do it by looking down the silencer. You could also use drill rod as a checker.
batoncolle

Post by batoncolle »

silencertalk wrote:Each gun needs to be checked. I can do it by looking down the silencer. You could also use drill rod as a checker.
Could you expand on these techniques a little more and exactly what you would look for in each case? I am in the process of setting up a Draco SBR, and I plan to use the 762-SD. I am having the barrel re-threaded to 1/2-28. At this time I just have the Blackout Flash Hider so could I use the drill rod technique to check?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

What I do is put on the can and, with gun unloaded and light coming into the action with a white piece of paper in there to act as a solid background, look down the muzzle from about 2 feet away. I center the circular image of the white paper within the circle of the exit of the silencer. If the circle of the bore-to-muzzle of the gun is centered within those two circles, I know it is good. If the bullet will run into the can, you should be able to see it from this. I do this with all cans before I shoot them.
batoncolle

Post by batoncolle »

explanation appreciated
faust357

Post by faust357 »

I purchased the Smith&Wesson AR platform chambered in 5.45x39-it has a 16" barrel with standard AR threads-I put an AAC m4-2000 on it,and it is noticibly quieter than a .223,and amazingly accurate with Russian milsurp ammo.-2.5 inch groups at 100 yards are not uncommon. My biggest beef is the smell-the nasty propellant the Ruskies use reeks of ammonia and old socks.
Tuukka
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tuukka »

silencertalk wrote:The reason why we don't make that AK adapter is that the AK threads don't seem to be concentric often enough. So there would be too many people with baffle strikes. At least that was the case when AAC made the Krinkov can, and the very reason why it is no longer sold.

This is the same exact reason why we do not commonly manufacture AK suppressors, the Finnish RK 62 and RK 95 are exceptions.

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors

Ase Utra sound suppressors / www.aseutra.fi
jerad

Post by jerad »

I just got a Vltor HALO-74 adapter for my Gemtech HALO, tried it on 2 krinks and one AK74M, none were concentric....
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants.
-Thomas Jefferson