Suppressing my .22 mag, Sig 522, and other .22's? Henry Rifl

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Suppressing my .22 mag, Sig 522, and other .22's? Henry Rifl

Post by Kip42 »

I was wondering if there is a suppressor out that will suppress my .22 mag and 22lr rifles well. Who makes the best of the best .22 suppressors that hold up to heavy use?

I want to suppress a sig 522.

I have a Marlin 983S Bolt action .22 magnum.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... m/983S.asp

Can I suppress a Henry Survival rifle?

Possible to hook a suppressor on a Ruger MKIII pistol?
700PSS
Elite Member

Re: Suppressing my .22 mag, Sig 522, and other .22's? Henry

Post by 700PSS »

AAC Element

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Sig 522.... no problem.

Marlin 983S... no problem.

Henry Survival Rifle... no problem.

Ruger Mk2... no problem.

Each will require threading and all suppress well. Do realize the Marlin will have a supersonic crack that you just won't get rid of, as far as the 22lr's subsonic is your friend and it will be stupid quiet.

My recommendations would be either the SWR Spectre, or the AAC Element. Both can be taken apart, offer excellent suppression and are built like tanks and can take up to 5.7x28FN!

-B
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

Will the AAC element work on a .22 magnum? Will it hold up to super heavy use? Does AAC sell mounts for all the weapons I listed? Finally, Could I somehow run it on a Ruger MKIII .22 pistol, Kimber 1911 target .22 pistol, and Smith and wesson .22 revolver?

What exactly would I have to do to each of these to get it to work? Would it be an expensive modification?

Thanks!
GBI96
Silent But Deadly

Post by GBI96 »

Yes, the Element and the SWR Spectre will holdup to heavy-duty use to include your .22 magnum. There are no mounts for these .22 cans. All you have to do is get each of your weapons threaded 1/2" x 28 tpi and you will be good to go. It will cost anywhere from $75 - $100 to get them threaded. Sorry to say, but nothing is cheap when you are dealing with anything to do with class 3.
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

What makes the ELEMENT better than the PILOT, AVIATOR, or PRODIGY?

How often would you clean the Element? Could I go with a cheaper can? Would the cheaper can be as durable? Can you not clean the other models? What do you do with them since you cant clean them?
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Kip42 wrote:Will the AAC element work on a .22 magnum?-YES. Will it hold up to super heavy use? CAN'T IMAGINE WHY NOT. IT'S BUILT VERY WELL. Does AAC sell mounts for all the weapons I listed? NO MOUNTS NEEDED FOR ELEMENT. IT'S 1/2 X 28 THREAD-ON. Finally, Could I somehow run it on a Ruger MKIII .22 pistol YES, Kimber 1911 target .22 pistol YES, and Smith and wesson .22 revolver NO. WTF? REVLOVERS CANNOT BE SILENCED, DUE TO THE CYLINDER GAP. ONE EXCEPTION-NAGANT REVOLVER.?

What exactly would I have to do to each of these to get it to work? GET THEM THREADED. Would it be an expensive modification? NOT REALLY. MAYBE $125 OR SO AVERAGE.

Thanks!
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Kip42 wrote:What makes the ELEMENT better than the PILOT, AVIATOR, or PRODIGY? USER-SERVICEABLE/TAKE-APART, TOP QUALITY MATERIALS & CONSTRUCTION, PERFORMANCE.

How often would you clean the Element? 500-1,000 RDS, BUT I USUALY CLEAN MINE AT ABOUT 300 RDS FOR FUN-IT'S EASY. Could I go with a cheaper can? YES, "CHEAPER". Would the cheaper can be as durable? YES, SHORT-TERM. Can you not clean the other models? NOT REALLY. What do you do with them since you cant clean them? PUT THEM ON A SHELF TO LOOK AT.
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

Well it looks like im going to go with the element. How many rounds would you say it will last?
How long does it take to clean the element? Where can I get the best deal?
How long will the ones you cant clean last? Sorry for all the questions. My henry survival rifle is going to be sick with this on it.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

The Spectre is awsome. It is very tough, well built, and very quiet. The more I shoot it the more I love it. I have had over 5,000 rounds through it with zero problems. I shoot mutliple mags through it on my P22 everyday in my back yard with neighbors directly on either side.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Kip42 wrote:Well it looks like im going to go with the element. How many rounds would you say it will last?
How long does it take to clean the element? Where can I get the best deal?
How long will the ones you cant clean last? Sorry for all the questions. My henry survival rifle is going to be sick with this on it.

I love mine, I imagine it will last a very long time if taken cared of. I clean mine every 500 rounds max because I dont have the pusher tool. I dont know where you can get the best deal. My local dealer had mine for 145 dollars less than the msrp on AAC website and all the rest of them in the area wanted msrp or more and he had it in stock to boot. The ones you cant clean get around 15,000 rounds or less before they need to be sent out and cleaned. Henry survival rifle should suppress very well.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

You can't stick a can on your revolver..Everything else is just a matter of getting it threaded by a good gunsmith..All the other choices you mentioned are great hosts..Some guns come threaded already so it may make sense to do some trading on those..Just depends on how much you like them..

I prefer the Kodiak for a number of reasons..Thats the brick shithouse version..then they just get better but are for rimfire only really..TL can take 5.7 and Hornet but will not be rated for it because of reloaders..I like the fact that I can take the can apart and scrape it clean with a knife and be done with it in 5 mins..those cans will out last your great grandkids..

http://libertycans.net/rimfire_portal.html

Here's some vids that you might enjoy since your looking around..
AR SBR as well as a p-22, Mark 2 and Model 41..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GTPi62TQmo

A good side by side of the Mark 2 with a can on and off..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01e6ao_yIMA

Here's a little about baffle designs and how I clean the Kodiak TL..It's long so when you have some free time if your interested..To me there is so much more to a can then just sound..Most do a good job at that part..For example an Outback 2 shuts down my SBR with the ciener conversion after about 50 shots from the blowback gumming it up..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxQL3pJsLY4

Every .22 I own is now threaded now except for my Marlin 39A and my Diamondback just sold 20 mins ago because you can't stick a can on it.. :lol: With silencers this is something you really don't want to go cheap on..They are papered to you for life with really no resale value because of the fact that the next owner has to pay the 200 tax stamp on it..There are only two or 3 cans that I can think of that you could put a 100,000 rounds through and still sell them as brand new..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

Chondro wrote:You can't stick a can on your revolver..Everything else is just a matter of getting it threaded by a good gunsmith..All the other choices you mentioned are great hosts..Some guns come threaded already so it may make sense to do some trading on those..Just depends on how much you like them..

I prefer the Kodiak for a number of reasons..Thats the brick shithouse version..then they just get better but are for rimfire only really..TL can take 5.7 and Hornet but will not be rated for it because of reloaders..I like the fact that I can take the can apart and scrape it clean with a knife and be done with it in 5 mins..those cans will out last your great grandkids..

http://libertycans.net/rimfire_portal.html

Here's some vids that you might enjoy since your looking around..
AR SBR as well as a p-22, Mark 2 and Model 41..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GTPi62TQmo

A good side by side of the Mark 2 with a can on and off..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01e6ao_yIMA

Here's a little about baffle designs and how I clean the Kodiak TL..It's long so when you have some free time if your interested..To me there is so much more to a can then just sound..Most do a good job at that part..For example an Outback 2 shuts down my SBR with the ciener conversion after about 50 shots from the blowback gumming it up..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxQL3pJsLY4

Every .22 I own is now threaded now except for my Marlin 39A and my Diamondback just sold 20 mins ago because you can't stick a can on it.. :lol: With silencers this is something you really don't want to go cheap on..They are papered to you for life with really no resale value because of the fact that the next owner has to pay the 200 tax stamp on it..There are only two or 3 cans that I can think of that you could put a 100,000 rounds through and still sell them as brand new..
Which two cans are those that you can put that many rounds through and still sell as new?
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Kodiak and Kodiak TL..The steel core will never wear..Mine are in the white...If you get them black they would have to be sprayed again most likely after a lifetime of use..If the blast baffle does ever show any signs of wear you could turn out a few thousandths and make it look new(You have a quarter inch blast baffle)..but 7000 rounds and nothing yet..aluminum shows the blast wear after 10 shots and discolors permanently..Over 600 baffle strikes between two new hosts and nothing either..Serious ones I might add..Didn't know until I got home and dumped out a half ounce of lead..Long story how I missed that one..

The Essence maybe as well..I'm still waiting for my scrap piece of titanium with the coating to come in to torture test it..But the blast baffle is made so that if it does ever wear it can be replaced..

The Spectre with the steel omega baffles after thrown in the dip may not show any wear after a lifetime of use either..I've never seen the blast baffle clean on one after a lot of use..

Steel K baffles will always tell a story..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"