Winchester WinClean and Baffle Erosion? FIX!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: Winchester WinClean and Baffle Erosion? Post findings he

Post by JasonAAC »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:i'm glad to see you chimed back in Jason, I felt your last post did not reflect the handsome man I know and love.

John has a valid concern and issue. IIRC SWR replaced baffles in a trident this happened to for a customer. The customer did much like John and contacted them privately first regarding the matter. SWR looked into it and honored their warranty. There is a thread on NFAtalk about it.

Any plans for AAC to do the same?
Well thank you, I try to live up to the handsome and high standard you expect from me.

As for this particular issue, i can't comment on the service aspect as I think Mers is/was dealing with John on it. I ASSume the can should be sent back to us for an evaluation, as that would allow us to evaluate what's going on. If it is something we can do from a warranty or repair perspective, Mike or John would know the options.

Also agreed that if I saw these reports, I would be hesitant to use winclean with my cans...
Kick Ass Design
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

$249- delivered for 1000 rounds.
http://www.ammoman.com/

I'm sitting on a good supply of this stuff like others here. Don't understand why AAC won't buy a case and test it on a new suppressor. :?:
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

If AAC wants a couple of cases for testing, I may be interested in selling what I have at a reasonable cost. I'm pretty sure I've got at least 2-500 rd. cases, unopened and sealed in giant zip locs. Maybe I could trade for some 300 BLK? :wink:
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I have more of this 9mm than carter has liver pills. I was SO impressed by this ammo I scoped 1-2k at a time for the last year .. Then when I discovered the erosion problem I was wicked bummed. What am I going to do with all this crap? I shoot suppressed 99% of the time and have still not used up my 124 gr ammo I have. Now I have close to 5K of it. (a 9mm upper for my new M16 will fix it)

Mike and I talked a LONG time ago about my wanting to re-core the Evo but it was not till Oct that I really noticed the extent of the erosion. I had noticed it earlier... but it was nto bad yet.. then a few 100 rounds more and EEEK! So I called and PMed him my pictures.

Mike is a Good Guy.. But the way It was left was nothing we can do w/o the $200 and new paper from the BATF+E. also I don't want to give up my only 9mm silencer for 6 months. No offer was made to rebuild it only replace it at 50% + the $200 I do NOT expect AAC to replace the baffles for FREE! I never have. Mike can only do what he is allowed to do or say. If they tell him an Evo can't have the baffles replaced That's all he can say.

Now if AAC could rebuild it that's another thing.. Also I caught it before the baffles are shot. So as Kevin said I have some service left. I just got 2K of canned heat so I can shoot it. Also my expensive HP ammo does not erode the baffles either.

If AAC can rebuild it, charge me for the baffles, and not have to do a form 4, and could turn it around in 2 months I would send it in in a heart beat!

I can keep using it as is anyway.

My bring it to Mikes attention in Sep/Oct, was to help others not do the same damage I did to their Silencers. I was hoping AAC would have tested the ammo .. Then made an announcement that Winclean is not approved for use in their silencers.. Put an insert in the box too. That way nobody else has to discover for themselves this ammo is sandblasting their inner baffles (like many of us have.) Not every one reads this forum.

We are the pioneers. :-) I have to say I am just a little surprised by the reaction to a customer trying to help a company. I will continue to help .. If I run into anything new.

Mike is still a hot s--t.. even with his new corporate look ;)

Now to get a Prodigy tool!
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

JohnInNH wrote:I...Now to get a Prodigy tool!...
seriously. even i want this damn thing.

on the other note, thanks for the background on Mike's convo, I hadn't heard it.
If he says the 50% upgrade (unfortunately nowadays plus the $200) was what we can do, he would know.

I appreciate your feedback.
Kick Ass Design
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

JasonAAC wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:I...Now to get a Prodigy tool!...
seriously. even i want this damn thing.

on the other note, thanks for the background on Mike's convo, I hadn't heard it.
If he says the 50% upgrade (unfortunately nowadays plus the $200) was what we can do, he would know.

I appreciate your feedback.
Jason... That offer was for an Evo "new core" upgrade, not for the baffle erosion problem. (Just to clarify the conversation we had)

Maybe some day AAC will change the policy and may "fix" eroded the baffles for a charge instead of replacing the whole silencer....
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Re: Winchester WinClean and Baffle Erosion? the FIX is here!

Post by JohnInNH »

This thread is back from the dead .. Why??

Because NOW we now have a SOLUTION!

A group buy on jailbreaking your 9mm silencers. If your 9mm can is filling up with crud or if you have erosion concerns this is the answer.

MAYBE once this is done AAC may even put new baffles in? I would LOVE the new core Evo-9 baffles in my Old core evo-9... Some HD clones of the New Evo-9 design would be even better.. :)

Who knows put at least you now can have a manufacturer make some that will fit if yours are shot out. Once cracked and you have a new good end cap fixing it later will be easier.

Go here for info... Mine is going in!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71996
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Re: Winchester WinClean and Baffle Erosion? FIX!

Post by dan9591 »

Resurrecting an old, but relevant thread...

What do you guys think about their new stuff? This time, only the primer is lead-free. The rest is made of conventional materials.

http://www.winchester.com/library/news/ ... efend.aspx

I bought a few boxes but am on the fence about trying it out...