Lets rag on some silencers.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lets rag on some silencers.

Post by Chondro »

Okay stupid question..I keep hearing talk of warrantee's with the AAC cans..How long was the warrantee suppose to be good for?
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Lack of options for mounts on SPR/M4 and SCAR-H suppressors. I really with they would have a factory option that is like a TT or battlecomp.

No 9mm piston for the .45 tirant.
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

You can't just use the piston from the 9mm Tirant in the 45? If that is the case then the 45 choice doesn't even require any thought..

JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Chondro wrote:You can't just use the piston from the 9mm Tirant in the 45? If that is the case then the 45 choice doesn't even require any thought..
Nope, the 9mm Ti-RANT is it's own piston. The 45 TiRANT has available 45 and 40 pistons.
Kick Ass Design
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

JasonAAC wrote:
Chondro wrote:You can't just use the piston from the 9mm Tirant in the 45? If that is the case then the 45 choice doesn't even require any thought..
Nope, the 9mm Ti-RANT is it's own piston. The 45 TiRANT has available 45 and 40 pistons.
Osprey 45
Sometimes your the pigeon and sometimes your the statue.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Queso Grande wrote:
JasonAAC wrote:
Osprey 45
Yeah they never got my Form 3 on my Osprey 45..My buddy got a Kodiak TL the same day and his was back and already in the system..My dealer doesn't even have the can yet!!!!!!!! I'm a s--t magnet.. :evil:

kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

Queso Grande wrote:
JasonAAC wrote:
Osprey 45
I believe mike already came on here and said they are making a 9mm piston for the tirant 45, which makes me happy not cause I have a 9mm to put it on but that I don't have to listen to people bitch about it any more :P
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
10mmPhil wrote:
1_ar_newbie wrote:
We now make a 9/16 x 24 TPI piston for the Ti-Rant 45. That is what I would do if I was looking for a hearing safe dry 40 can
Mike,
Thanks for the info about the 9/16-24 piston, looks like the "plug-n-play" option is now here.
A Ti-Rant 45 may be in my near future.

We are also doing 1/2 x 28 TPI and M13.5 x 1mm left hand pistons. That means you can run a Ti-Rant 45 on a 9mm, 40 cal and 45!

:mrgreen:
From a thread in the majors section
many, many more to come
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

1_ar_newbie wrote:We are also doing 1/2 x 28 TPI and M13.5 x 1mm left hand pistons. That means you can run a Ti-Rant 45 on a 9mm, 40 cal and 45!
I stand even more corrected! sweet news for T-45 owners. of course, for dedicated 9mm use, a Ti-RANT 9 will be quieter. FWIW.
Kick Ass Design
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Hey 5 years from now you may want to shoot 9mm through it..Just saw a 226 go for 300 bucks with a threaded barrel tossed in for 80..That could make you take the plunge.. :P

9 is just so damn cheap to load for..though I prefer 45 myself..

Who cares about 2db's for 9 and 45..Not exactly backyard calibers anyway..Honestly I really doubt most can hear the difference..

kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

Chondro wrote:Hey 5 years from now you may want to shoot 9mm through it..Just saw a 226 go for 300 bucks with a threaded barrel tossed in for 80..That could make you take the plunge.. :P

9 is just so damn cheap to load for..though I prefer 45 myself..

Who cares about 2db's for 9 and 45..Not exactly backyard calibers anyway..Honestly I really doubt most can hear the difference..

Yeah I know, I probably will, I was just trying to be a dick :twisted: was thinking of getting my Beretta 90-two threaded now... I was just getting tired of the whole Osprey Vs. TiRant versatility argument, I would not use that as a reason to buy one can over another, more of a reason to justify for some people why they bought one can over another....
many, many more to come
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

They also said they were making spr/m4 brakes. Now that's cancelled. I believe mike and Jason when the say it, but things change. I'd love to see more mounting options for the spr and scar-h.
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

"Two more weeks for the A2-RA."
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

goteron wrote:They also said they were making spr/m4 brakes. Now that's cancelled. I believe mike and Jason when the say it, but things change. I'd love to see more mounting options for the spr and scar-h.
++1 I was told on the phone they within a week of announcing the M42K brake that the SPR/M4 was in the works, but might take another 2 weeks!!! That was a looooongg time ago (pretty close to 2 years now!).. not that big of a deal, but that is a long ass 2 weeks :cry:
many, many more to come
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

goteron wrote:I'd love to see more mounting options for the spr and scar-h.
Yup.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

It boggles my mind that there is no brake option for a .308!! But I guess the military doesn't want it, so no dice.

What is really needed is a battlecomp / triple tap design brake. Less flash and noise, ideal solution. IMO

Like I said. I really believe mike and Jason when they say something is coming out. And they are sticking their neck out to tell us. They could do the opposite and not say a word until it's out. Then you have a 51T 762SD situation. Though a mount is different from a can.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

goteron wrote:It boggles my mind that there is no brake option for a .308!! But I guess the military doesn't want it, so no dice.
What is really needed is a battlecomp / triple tap design brake. Less flash and noise, ideal solution. IMO
I honestly do not know if it is a numbers thing in terms of selling (Major buying the whole first run of 18T 556 Brakes got those rolling finally), or a resource issue with getting the drawings made, or if there is an issue with timing them (new shims to be made that fit inside the mounts?). I will generally not say something is dead, things usually do get done, albeit not fast enough many times. That all said, this is not the best time for these "lower on the to-do list" items as we have lots of new stuff to get ready for SHOT.

One more thing on the brakes... I LOVE the triple tap, and I assume the battlecomp would be similar. Problem is that with heavy use those designs can balloon out... You'll notice that KAC doesn't warranty the Triple Tap for use with the NT-4 can. And it's all Inconel. That is something that would need to be addressed by design in order for something like it to be used in a mount.
goteron wrote:Like I said. I really believe mike and Jason when they say something is coming out. And they are sticking their neck out to tell us. They could do the opposite and not say a word until it's out. Then you have a 51T 762SD situation. Though a mount is different from a can.
Thanks, it is a hard position to be in, I want to tell you as much as I know when I can, and sometimes those things don't work out or things change. I'll continue to do what i can. I will say the 51T and the 18T and the large-bore 90T mounts will be the same this year- no mount surprises at SHOT. :)
Kick Ass Design
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Davo5o wrote: I also don't like being lied to by AAC about not being able to take my Evo40 apart for cleaning and warrantee service. Then I have to pay Dave over at Liberty 200$ to do it, which in turn, voids my so called "warrantee".
That's not really a lie. We did not build it to be a take apart silencer. You can cut anything apart...that doesn't make it a take apart silencer to me.

And yes, cutting it apart does void the warranty.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Jason, good info on the TT / BC bulging. I know battlecomp is going through an approval process with Gemtech to get approved for the Halo. I havent noticed any bulging on my frankenbrake yet, though the can was super hard to get off last time... Just from carbon build up though.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

Kevin/AAC wrote:
Davo5o wrote: I also don't like being lied to by AAC about not being able to take my Evo40 apart for cleaning and warrantee service. Then I have to pay Dave over at Liberty 200$ to do it, which in turn, voids my so called "warrantee".
That's not really a lie. We did not build it to be a take apart silencer. You can cut anything apart...that doesn't make it a take apart silencer to me.

Just to clarify here - and please correct this if it isn't accurate - the "lie" he is referring to is the response(s) to the inquiry by several AAC customers to AAC representatives about later "warranty" service on suppressors, including servicing such as cleaning the suppressor so that it could maintain performance.

Is it correct that AAC customers were told by AAC representatives that their cans could not be serviced under warranty because it was not possible to open the suppressors for service?

I assume it is a misunderstanding, and AAC should have said "your AAC suppressor will not be opened by AAC for service, because AAC does not offer that service, that is not part of the warranty, and even though it is possible for AAC to open your suppressor and perform the service, that is not currently part of our business plan and customer service model."

Dave at Liberty is mentioned in this conversation/argument, because the very act of him opening an Evo suppressor shows that the suppressor can be opened and serviced without damage to anything except for the end-cap, which AAC could replace under warranty if AAC damaged it while taking it apart.

SWR services their suppressors, for example. So, this is not a wild and crazy idea without precedent.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the argument?
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

goteron wrote:Jason, good info on the TT / BC bulging. I know battlecomp is going through an approval process with Gemtech to get approved for the Halo. I havent noticed any bulging on my frankenbrake yet, though the can was super hard to get off last time... Just from carbon build up though.
Also, I don't know/ can't imagine what firing schedule you'd need to keep up to actually bulge one, but that's the info i know as of today. :)
Kick Ass Design
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Dang, I wonder how you would get the can off if it did bulge... I will just measure it easy few thousand rounds to see if there is any...
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

1_ar_newbie wrote: We are also doing 1/2 x 28 TPI and M13.5 x 1mm left hand pistons. That means you can run a Ti-Rant 45 on a 9mm, 40 cal and 45!
:mrgreen:
seriously, this has me REALLY exited! i hope the 9mm pistons come out soon. i guess AAC heard the calling and they're going to follow through. i'm going to have two pretty sweet multi-purpose cans.
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Post by JacksonBrowne »

Kevin/AAC wrote:

Yeah he definitely meant 'lied' as in the warranty/upgrade policy at AAC, not user servicing. I think he is equating a lack of willingness to a lack of ability.
07/02 SOT
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

este wrote:
stevejobs wrote:I'll bite. I love my Element, small, quiet, lightweight. But the end cap comes off too easy. It always unscrews when you take the silencer off the gun, leaving the end cap attached to the thread adapter. A solution if you own this silencer.
That does suck. My Spectre did the same thing once, but the threads on the adapter were REALLY gunked up. I had to buy a strap wrench to get the adapter off. I would frustrated if it ever did it again, let alone often.

Liberty's giant engraving is on my peeve list.
All Liberty's engraving is a very nice small font now BTW.. :P They change was awhile ago..Can't find the fella that had the jailbreak..thought it was this thread..want to see the endcap.. :D