Lets rag on some silencers.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

singtoe
Silent But Deadly

Lets rag on some silencers.

Post by singtoe »

I will start a Thread on complaining about silencers. Even though, I can not create or manufactor anything as nice, I put this thread out there for all the complainers.

Here goes -
The AAC EVO-45 is too loud.
The TAC 65 is fatter then the rest of the industry
The Ospery' (all models) end cap looks like didn't finish the machining on it. I mean, what is up with all the sharp edges on it.
The Mystic has a Gay name. Plus, it looks like a cookie cutter on the end of it.
The Blackside is way loud and not reliable.

The list can go on and on and feel free to vent your critical thinking and complaints.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: Lets rag on some silencers.

Post by silencertalk »

The Evo-45 is within 2dB of the quietest 45 silencer for the last 10 years up until 2 years ago.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Just trying to get your post count up??
CMOS
Silent Operator

Post by CMOS »

singtoe wrote:The AAC EVO-45 is too loud.
This is idiotic. If you really have any of these complaints, I would suggest you start an individual thread for each of them so meaningful discussion can be had. We can't have pee session on 5 different cans in the same thread.

Recommend this thread be deleted or locked.

And BTW, you obviously not only can't make the cans (as you admitted), but it looks like you haven't shot them either. Nobody in their right mind would criticize the Evo-45 as too loud. Running it with 5cc of water it's really quiet.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Singtoe,

My best friend, 93 year old, who passed away last year was LT. with the US Army Air Corps (quaint, is it not?)
and his first plane that he flew on was a test bomber with a very gentlemanly pilot.

Col. Tibbets flew him and his Tech Sergeant from Wright Field (sic) to Eglin during WWII on a test run. His plane eventually
" ... has a GAY name." :) :)

One of my team members was a Captain Gay. Doggone, they are all over the place. :) :)

Fun thread.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

You have to look at the Jailbreaking the TiRant thread to see why he made this one. His quote below
singtoe wrote:
kapkanimd wrote:
Tyris wrote:Competitors are coming out with 1.375"x8" 9mm cans that are designed to come apart for cleaning and are made of non-shitbox metals.

Last image shows it does not look like a section of sewer pipe.

I'm looking forward to seeing more designs like this as the industry learns.

-T
what exactly does this have to do with the topic of the thread, is it a super silencer that when shot at the tirant will release the endcap so people can take them off easier...??? :roll:

so annoying to read posts like this in the middle of an informative thread

The so called shitbox material makes for lightest and quietest suppressor out there. There is a reason for the stepped design of the suppressor tube- to make it lighter.

Now we can go on a ragging contest on all the other suppressors out there but this is the wrong thread to do it. I will start another thread just to do that.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I think the spirit of the OP was a making fun at the people who say these things. NOT that he believed it to be true.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

YHM Phantom before they went to Stainless Steel - rusts if you look at it wrong, inside and out! Mounts rust too if you don't spray them with oil.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

I'll bite. I love my Element, small, quiet, lightweight. But the end cap comes off too easy. It always unscrews when you take the silencer off the gun, leaving the end cap attached to the thread adapter. A solution if you own this silencer.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

stevejobs wrote:I'll bite. I love my Element, small, quiet, lightweight. But the end cap comes off too easy. It always unscrews when you take the silencer off the gun, leaving the end cap attached to the thread adapter. A solution if you own this silencer.
That does suck. My Spectre did the same thing once, but the threads on the adapter were REALLY gunked up. I had to buy a strap wrench to get the adapter off. I would frustrated if it ever did it again, let alone often.

Liberty's giant engraving is on my peeve list.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Schulze wrote:YHM Phantom before they went to Stainless Steel - rusts if you look at it wrong, inside and out! Mounts rust too if you don't spray them with oil.
+1, pre-stainless YHM Phantom 762 owner here.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

YHM Mite isn't user serviceable.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

How about when they say " made from " X Y Z materials, then dont say what part is what.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Running it with 5cc of water it's really quiet.
One of my Buddies has the Evo .45. Listening to it with water in it- all you hear is the racking of the slide and the bullet hitting the old couch he was shooting at. He was using an HK USP Tactical. This is what convinced me to buy a TiRant. I don't think the Evo should be bad-mouthed too much- it is very quiet.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

copenhagen wrote:
Running it with 5cc of water it's really quiet.
One of my Buddies has the Evo .45. Listening to it with water in it- all you hear is the racking of the slide and the bullet hitting the old couch he was shooting at. He was using an HK USP Tactical. This is what convinced me to buy a TiRant. I don't think the Evo should be bad-mouthed too much- it is very quiet.
So is the Evo-9

They are both designed to "hold" water and are very quiet wet. For the size the Evo-9 is pretty darn good.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Scott2501

Post by Scott2501 »

stevejobs wrote:I'll bite. I love my Element, small, quiet, lightweight. But the end cap comes off too easy. It always unscrews when you take the silencer off the gun, leaving the end cap attached to the thread adapter. A solution if you own this silencer.

I also had this issue. Here is a direct quote from Mike Mers at AAC:

I would rocksett the rear cap on your Element to the tube. This would make sure it doesn’t come apart.

BTW, I have had customers rear caps (on their Elements) get stuck on those barrels… you don’t want this… rocksett or red locktight is the way to go

When he says "those barrels," he is talking about the Tactical Solutions SBX barrels. They have a shroud perm attached to the end of the barrel to get them to 16". Awesome product, but if your suppressor endcap gets stuck, you're screwed.

FYI, I put a few drops of Rocksett and a few drops of LocTite on mine and it has worked great. The rear endcap stays attached and for cleaning, I just take off the front cap only.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Do you like the SBX barrel? Looks like a good idea..

My complaint would be they still make the Mite..It wouldn't be that hard to tweak the stack and make the issues of it coming apart that big a deal..

Shooting the couch... :lol: Usually when you find something that your truly impressed with you buy it..Not something else.. :wink:

oh I have lots of complaints :P ..Just can't think of them right now..Must not be that big a deal..I think this could be a healthy exercise regardless of the motives..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Shooting the couch... Usually when you find something that your truly impressed with you buy it..Not something else..
Well... They said the TiRant was even quieter and did not have to be ran wet so that is what happened with that. I wasn't really in the market for a couch, so didn't buy that one...
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

Interesting. I have thought about getting an SBX but never thought about a take apart can's endcap getting stuck with the tube unscrewing. Something to think about.

If this has happened to you, how did you remove the endcap from the SBX barrel?
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I'd put loctite in the threads of the can and screw it back on and let it sit..Then take it back off.
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

I have to put a strip of duct tape around my prodigy thread end when I use it on my SBX to keep it together. However, if you shoot the prodigy too much, it's a PITA to get apart. Mine is currently stuck like chuck. They also never made a tool for taking the prodigy apart. How many YEARS has it been?? Fucking Bull s--t if you ask me.

I also don't like being lied to by AAC about not being able to take my Evo40 apart for cleaning and warrantee service. Then I have to pay Dave over at Liberty 200$ to do it, which in turn, voids my so called "warrantee".
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Hellrazor wrote:Interesting. I have thought about getting an SBX but never thought about a take apart can's endcap getting stuck with the tube unscrewing. Something to think about.

If this has happened to you, how did you remove the endcap from the SBX barrel?
I did the same thing with my spikes dedicated upper in the handguard. I got it off by screwing the tube back on tight then I shot a magazine through it and heated it up then unscrewed it. The cap came with the tube after it was hot just was stuck on good when it cooled down.
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

Oh dear god. Aluminum barrels with a steel liner. What could possibly go wrong with aluminum threads.
The stupidity on display is astounding, if you liked shitbox metal based silencers, wait till you mate them up with shitbox metal barrels! :mrgreen:

-T
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

my evo 9 hurts my ears. thats not "hearing safe" then right? s--t all over the face when wet isnt my style....but i knew when i bought it that aac wasnt offering the recore warranty anymore so its my fault. oh well
its quiet time!