New Discovery Channel series Sons of Guns airing Jan 12!!!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wreckdiver
Silent But Deadly

Re: New Discovery Channel series Sons of Guns airing Jan 12!

Post by wreckdiver »

Red Jacket wrote:Thanks guys , we gave it our best . We did for this one, and in future episodes , really cover the NFA process , then again , we also covered the M203 replica , which was mounted on a mint SP1 that cost me $1500.00 [replica thrown in] . We have 0 say in how they edit it together and saw it all for the first time last night . If you think the show was fun to watch and did no disservice to our industry , then we accomplished what we set out to do . We really appreciate all the support we've gotten here , it's a really great board . Will
Enjoyed the show. Cannon was cool as hell. Wish I had $250,000 to drop on a toy :D
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

Red Jacket wrote:Thanks guys , we gave it our best . We did for this one, and in future episodes , really cover the NFA process , then again , we also covered the M203 replica , which was mounted on a mint SP1 that cost me $1500.00 [replica thrown in] . We have 0 say in how they edit it together and saw it all for the first time last night . If you think the show was fun to watch and did no disservice to our industry , then we accomplished what we set out to do . We really appreciate all the support we've gotten here , it's a really great board . Will
You can really tell the hollywood editing in the show. A lay person watching it would 100% believe that was an actual 203 grenade launcher instead of a flare gun. I hope they did not butcher the NFA process too mutch.

Overall I enjoyed the show. It looks like a great opportunity for you guys! I hope you all are getting PAAAAIIIID! Congrats!
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I was really hoping you were going to have the barrel radiographed on the cannon. Being familiar with UT and casting issues from older products I knew the number of voids would be found. Have had many castings in pressure vessels in the plants looked at this way and it never ceases to amaze me the poor quality of older castings. The older engineering codes for the early 1900's have casting factors to determine the reduction in strength.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
DUIPowerstroke

Post by DUIPowerstroke »

The show is pretty awesome, I havent seen a show like it yet. Keep up the good content!
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Will,

The show is fun.

I'd suggest you emphasize the NFA process a bit more so that the public doesn't get any simplistic ideas about how easy it is for an end user.

In the last couple of episodes I must say that your ego is showing a bit and it is not always flattering. Two examples: 1) Was not a bad idea to check to see if the Saiga would cycle with the butt against the wall, and 2) Clipping the new employee's hair wasn't necessary. He was, after all, the only one who brought his work to show. (Even though I wonder if his semi-auto MG42 was actually shown firing ... seemed like a continuity error as it seemed to burst rather than single).

Good luck with renewal!

Mike
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

eastern_hunter wrote:Will,

The show is fun.

I'd suggest you emphasize the NFA process a bit more so that the public doesn't get any simplistic ideas about how easy it is for an end user.

In the last couple of episodes I must say that your ego is showing a bit and it is not always flattering. Two examples: 1) Was not a bad idea to check to see if the Saiga would cycle with the butt against the wall, and 2) Clipping the new employee's hair wasn't necessary. He was, after all, the only one who brought his work to show. (Even though I wonder if his semi-auto MG42 was actually shown firing ... seemed like a continuity error as it seemed to burst rather than single).

Good luck with renewal!

Mike
I was noticing the ego growing as well. Also I noticed on the episode where they made the 1919A4 a shoulder fired weapon, it looks like they didn't really do any of their own work like they seemed to be doing. It looks like they just installed an M203 kit from TNW on it and took credit for building it. I think all they did was shorten the barrel and shroud.

http://www.tnwfirearms.com/guns_m230.shtml
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

the show is so full of fail.
NP
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

I have been watching the episodes lately when they have a few back to back.
I no idea what order they are in.

Things that I have noticed.
First let me say that because of "dramatic editing" that has ruined everything as of late, I can't believe anything I see on these reality shows anymore.
I'm not really slamming you, because I think its the out-of-order editing that makes everything look stupid

You appear to be a bit of a dim bulb about firearms.
Your staff also seem to be lacking.

The show shows you quickly building guns and haphazardly test firing them.

There was a show about the "masterkey" but you and your staff acted like it was some new idea that no one has ever attempted, though a combination like that has been around since the mid 80s at least.

Your guys did a great job on the flame thrower.

The show about the special AR15 (the matching of a samurai sword and a gun) was nothing more than an AR15 with a carbon fiber handguard...Oooh innovative.

The show where you built up the 50Cal was nice but I wish there was more about it, like the problem you guys had with it not functioning properly.
I was screaming HEADSPACE! HEADSPACE! They did show your guys checking the shells so I could tell you guys knew what you were doing, but the editing was crappy on that one.

Keep it up I like the show.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The AR was a project they accepted - they did not design it. I really want to delete your post - why attack them so personally?
Smilodon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smilodon »

Yea, I agree. The way the show was edited does not allways portray your skills in the best light. However, I'm hoping this show will make our hobby more mainstream. There is alot of buzz about it at work. Seems to be mostly positive. I find it entertaining, if not accurate. :)
www.sabrewerks.com
[email protected]
Beretta Steel
Silent But Deadly

Post by Beretta Steel »

Can we talk about the karakoe microphone? I think I would have kept those testing methods "top secret".

I am glad TV is showing something having to do with NFA.
gunrunnerx

Post by gunrunnerx »

First off, I love the show. Keep up the good work. We need more firearms related shows to watch.

Only complaint is the ego thing mentioned. It may be because of editing or whatever, I dont know, Im not there and will give the benefit of the doubt. But it looks really bad. Please dont let this great thing you are doing turn into another American Chopper ego fest. It appears you have great employees that really care about you, your company, and the industry. Please dont let TV ruin that.

Best wishes.

PS. Id love to see an episode done on the Browing BAR :)
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

eastern_hunter wrote:Clipping the new employee's hair wasn't necessary.
Yeah, that was pretty stupid. What difference does it make how long his hair is. Full sleeves and hand tattoos are okay but not well groomed long hair? The guy seemed to have better hygeine than Will. I have long hair and would have said F--k you I will go somewhere else where they care about my work and not how I look.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
Tin_Can_Terminator
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tin_Can_Terminator »

I enjoyed the show to start with BUT, I can see the manufactured drama growing ( typical for DC to rely on drama instead of content ) and the EGO growing. Be an example, teacher and a leader. Cutting the new guys hair ? Are you guys really that big of assholes ? You could stand to lose some weight there tubby. Dont be so critical of how others look.

I am also disapointed with the lack of credit given to aftermarket products you guys use. You didnt make it, dont take credit for it. Hell, I can buy a pile of parts and put it together. Show off your skills as a gun smith/custom shop, not just a parts assembler.

As far as the guy who came and helped you with 50 Cal. You blew a great chance to learn from a master. Your attitude was " show up, put it together, go away. "

It would also be good to see more info on how to get INTO the NFA sport. Show how fun and useful a 22LR can can be for a beginner. Lets help our sport grow. Not every gun has to be a mega bad ass cannon. Have a supressed 10/22 build off between your employees. Put a Max budget on it, say $750 including the supressor. Then have a shoot off.

Please dont take my post as all negative. I am trying really hard to continue to watch your show and I wish you guys all the best. I just hate to see a great idea for a show bastardised because of manufactured drama ( Man vs Wild ) and ego. ( American Chopper )

TCT
poizzin
Silent But Deadly

Post by poizzin »

I can almost guarantee that Will " Red Jacket" has no say so as to what goes on air. Reality TV shows are script written by the producers and make the participants look really stupid. I have had several friends that have been on various shows such as Wife Swap, Jerry Springer, Ultimate car build off . After the show aired it made them look like fools. So talking s--t about what happens is not really cool at all.
Supressors
AAC - 7
Degroat - 2
AWC - 1
Don Floyd - 1
Tros- 1
HCA- 1
Tin_Can_Terminator
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tin_Can_Terminator »

" After the show aired it made them look like fools."

I disagree, I dont conduct myself in a manner that could, no matter how its diced up, make me look like a total ass or fool. Unless its intentional...........:twisted:

Will cuting the guys hair was an asshole move. No editing caused that.

I do understand what you are saying. I also agree they do misrepresent peoples words and actions. People can conduct themselves so it is kept to a minimum.

If I wanted to watch BS drama, I will watch Top Model where at least they have hot chicks to look at.

Sons of Guns, try to impress your fans and not sicken them or drive them off.

I wish you the best

TCT
Farmallsh
Silent But Deadly

Post by Farmallsh »

Top rated cable show on Wednesdays. :mrgreen:

HHHMMMM.......Let's see, show 30 minutes of tight deadlines, drama, and s--t going BOOM!!! :mrgreen:

OR

30 minutes of "educating" the general public on our fucked up gun laws and the ever so exciting NFA transfer process..OOOOHHHH YEAH that s--t brings ratings!! :roll: lol

If it sounds like I'm defending Will and gang, I am. He's done noting but good work for me in the past. Damn nice guy.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Will and Red jacket are a positive part of our NFA family. Lets have some respect here folks.

Fun show Will. Thanks for letting us in and entertaining us.

Don't let the green eye monsters break your stride. :)
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Jesus,,,,,,all this fucking arm chair quarterbacking is getting really old.

If any of these whiners can run an SOT or whatever they want,,,,,,then RUN one AND get your ass on TV where they will write a script that appeals to regular gun owners and non alike for you like they do Will and crew.

Then WE can kick you in the nuts while not taking any risk and putting it out there like they are.

Will has done noting but good work for me and has always been excellent to work with.

I'd work for him any day. 8)

Keep your powder dry Will, forget the posers.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Agreed. It is much harder to do than to watch TV and pick apart what someone does.
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

Umm guys it's a TV show, that's what people do is pick it apart. You either like it or you don't, that's the case with EVERY TV show. That's why some shows make it and some don't. I don't understand why you people get so butt hurt when someone doesn't like the same show you do. It's called having an opinion and everyone has one.

Personally I think the show sucks, it's not my cup of tea. It's great that some of you guys like it but why do you feel that you're opinion of liking the show is better than someone else's opinion of not liking it? Some of you act like others are not allowed to not like it if they don't have their own reality TV show about building guns. Hell it doesn't take me singing on stage to know I don't like American Idol.

I understand why Silvers keeps taking up for the show every time someone bashes it because he's wanting some free advertisement from Will but I'm not sure why you others get so upset when someone say's they don't like it.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Nighthawk wrote:I understand why Silvers keeps taking up for the show every time someone bashes it because he's wanting some free advertisement from Will but I'm not sure why you others get so upset when someone say's they don't like it.
No, it is because rather than a normal TV show, it is a show with real people who are forum members here, and I don't want personal attacks.
Nighthawk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nighthawk »

silencertalk wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:I understand why Silvers keeps taking up for the show every time someone bashes it because he's wanting some free advertisement from Will but I'm not sure why you others get so upset when someone say's they don't like it.
No, it is because rather than a normal TV show, it is a show with real people who are forum members here, and I don't want personal attacks.
Didn't you say this?
silencertalk wrote:I was just correcting an inaccuracy, as I watched the show with interest.

No, I don't appear in a future episode and AAC products are not featured.

RedJacket - it would be good to mention silencertalk forums though or show it being accessed on a computer.
It can be found here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67486&hilit=sons+of+guns&start=25

Also all TV shows have real people, well except cartoons. :wink:

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I said that, but I also told you why I was unhappy with the personal attacks - and it was because they are forum members.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

ThePatriot wrote:
eastern_hunter wrote:Clipping the new employee's hair wasn't necessary.
Yeah, that was pretty stupid. What difference does it make how long his hair is. Full sleeves and hand tattoos are okay but not well groomed long hair? The guy seemed to have better hygeine than Will. I have long hair and would have said F--k you I will go somewhere else where they care about my work and not how I look.
I've given the show some s--t about the drama-pump, but the hair length could be a safety issue around the machine tools.

If you're writing computer code, then no problem. If you're working around lathes, then it's a liability. If you're front office/customer facing, then it depends on the local social norms. But it's always up to the boss to set the policy. Also keep in mind, what you saw was on television. We have no idea what was talked about, agreed to etc, off camera.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights