Do you think Suppressors will ever stop from being class 3?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Do you think Suppressors will ever stop from being class 3?

Post by gixxerbill »

I mean it is sooo stupid they are class 3 in the first place. They by themselves can't do anything. Plus, it is sooo much more enjoyable to the shooter and everyone around the shooter. If other countries have them legal and over the counter, why can't we?

I mean come if people wanted to kill people quiet they would do it with a knife and you know people ain't going to go through all this ATF crap to get a knife.

So what do you think will this class 3 crap ever go away for suppressors? Why were they put in the class 3 category in the first place.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Do you think Suppressors will ever stop from being class

Post by Bowen1911 »

you mean title 2-

class 3 denotes a Special Occupation Tax.

class 2 SOT's can sell title 2 weapons the same as class 3 SOT's can

On another note I don't think the class 3 is actually title II is ever going to be widely known, as many dealers call them class 3.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
outbreak

Post by outbreak »

To actually reply to the OP, I doubt suppressors will ever be removed from the NFA.

Honestly, I'm hesitant to try to get them removed. Short of fully repealing the NFA, which has a snowball's chance in hell of happening, I would fear that any change to any part the NFA would open doors to other changes. If they were to bother altering the NFA, someone might notice that the $200 tax hasn't been raised in almost 80 years, or that maybe rifle length should be the same as shotgun length, or maybe semi-auto rifles should have a stamp, too...

We all agree the NFA is a big infringement on our rights, but opening it up to change it would very likely make it worse.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

We want it to be a $5 tax with an instant background check. Remember, Remington got NY to make suppressors legal in NY for manufactures. That does not help everyone, but it shows change is possible if you assign a lobbyist to explaining it to the right people.

http://www.thegunzone.com/TGZBlog/2010/ ... nufacture/
Tiller1k
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Tiller1k »

Jeebus. Gixxerbill has found us. Get ready for the show. :lol:
http://silent762.blogspot.com/

"When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Tiller1k wrote:Jeebus. Gixxerbill has found us. Get ready for the show. :lol:
huh?
-----
Ick
Tiller1k
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Tiller1k »

ick wrote:
huh?
Gixxerbill posts on a local motorcycle forum (and was banned/unbanned/banned :lol:) and is full of amazing questions. I have met him before in real life and he is a good guy but sometimes his questions/posts make me bang my head against the keyboard.

Welcome Bill!

"When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

ick wrote:
huh?
yea, huh? You know me?
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

Tiller1k wrote:
ick wrote:
huh?
Gixxerbill posts on a local motorcycle forum (and was banned/unbanned/banned :lol:) and is full of amazing questions. I have met him before in real life and he is a good guy but sometimes his questions/posts make me bang my head against the keyboard.

Welcome Bill!
lol, must have been motoblowme right? :mrgreen: While my questions might seem bizarre I doubt this place would have banned me probably because there isn't one liberal person usually on a gun board. Thank God. :D

So was your name tiller1k on that same website? And what track did I meet you at and when? And thanks for the welcome glad to be here I feel at home around fellow gun enthusiast.

Oh and I love your quote!
Tiller1k
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Tiller1k »

Yep MH. Same handle. MSRH track day IIRC.

No. I don't see suppressors coming off the NFA list. It would be nice but I'm afraid it is a pipe-dream.

gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

Tiller1k wrote:Yep MH. Same handle. MSRH track day IIRC.

No. I don't see suppressors coming off the NFA list. It would be nice but I'm afraid it is a pipe-dream.
i think you're right and I don't think its because they think they are bad are would cause more crime I think it is about the $200 they make for a a little teal/greenish stamp. that is a heck of a mark up for a stamp.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

The perception of silencers is soooooo negative in the general population that I don't se them ever being less regulated. The prevailing additude is that no one would want or need one unless they are doing something they shouldn't. There is no swaying some people on this point. They 'know' they are illegal and the 'know' they should be.
sprayandpray

Post by sprayandpray »

jlwilliams wrote:The perception of silencers is soooooo negative in the general population that I don't se them ever being less regulated. The prevailing additude is that no one would want or need one unless they are doing something they shouldn't. There is no swaying some people on this point. They 'know' they are illegal and the 'know' they should be.

Semi true.... Supressors are by far the most sold tax stamp. they are in fact becoming more common and even most of the hard core FUDD's I meet now dont pull the "thats illegal" card.

As a bonus , whenever I run into those people I always let them pop off a few rounds through my cans. Invariably once the shoot one. they start asking about how to aquire them.

I think the day will come that there are so many supressor owners that getting them de-listed will be a real possibility (after this administation leaves office of course)
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

There is resistance to allowing MGs to be made, as NFA owners don't want the $15,000 M16 they own to be worth $1000 next year. But with silencers, there is no such resistance from inside the community.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

silencertalk wrote:There is resistance to allowing MGs to be made, as NFA owners don't want the $15,000 M16 they own to be worth $1000 next year. But with silencers, there is no such resistance from inside the community.

Our 27 transferable machine guns and myself agree 100% !!
Quietly-Effectively
Silent But Deadly

Post by Quietly-Effectively »

I have read recently that most NFA mg owners don't care if prices go down. This should be a hobby, not an investment. I would like a RDIAS or HK sear, but that's not likely to happen.
YHM 3200
SRT Cheyenne XL, AAC Pilot, Spectre
Trident 9
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If I could make MGs for sale at Walmart, $79 AK special on Black Friday, I would. It would be bad though, to lose what I spent on them.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Mine were all bought as a hobby 15 to 20 years ago. My first hk auto sears were 200 bucks each. :D
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

silencertalk wrote:There is resistance to allowing MGs to be made, as NFA owners don't want the $15,000 M16 they own to be worth $1000 next year. But with silencers, there is no such resistance from inside the community.
I'm currently shopping for an FA Uzi. If I spend $6k on it and next year the NFA gets repealed and it's worth $1k, I'm still a happy man.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

I have three transfereable MGs and I would be happy to repael the 86 ban so I can go and buy a bunch more for less!
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Kramer wrote:I have three transfereable MGs and I would be happy to repael the 86 ban so I can go and buy a bunch more for less!
I think that is the prevailing additude among FA private owners. There may be some dealers with hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more) in inventory who would be hurt by a repeal of the ban. On the othet hand, those same businesses would have an oportunty to sell great volumes more new guns. The large majority of the NFA owning community would buy more guns, not gripe about the hit their stuff took in resale value.

A repeal wouldn't have much effect on the value of antiques. A C&R Maxim is still old and worth more than a modern reproduction. Uzis, M16s and Norrel 10-22s would drop but no one would complain about selling them in great numbers.
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

jlwilliams wrote:The perception of silencers is soooooo negative in the general population that I don't se them ever being less regulated. The prevailing additude is that no one would want or need one unless they are doing something they shouldn't. There is no swaying some people on this point. They 'know' they are illegal and the 'know' they should be.
You are right on this people look at me like why the heck would I want a suppressor. And these aren't even liberal nut jobs just regular folks. I guess we can blame hollywood for that perception. But it was also hollywood why I bought one. :P
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I think removing suppressors from the NFA is do-able. Noise pollution is an issue for many ranges - and the comparison between a muffler for a car/motorcycle and a firearm suppressor is one that non-shooters can relate to.

Not to mention that with NICS, there is an intermediate level of backgorund check available. It's not all-or-nothing, as it was in 1934.

All we really need is a Congressional sponsor.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

I hope. But I'm not holding my breath. Although, concealed carry laws have passed most states and are approved in some form in nearly all states.

Would individual states still outlaw suppressors? I'm guessing so. It might not help everyone.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

Mike M. wrote:I think removing suppressors from the NFA is do-able. Noise pollution is an issue for many ranges - and the comparison between a muffler for a car/motorcycle and a firearm suppressor is one that non-shooters can relate to.

Not to mention that with NICS, there is an intermediate level of backgorund check available. It's not all-or-nothing, as it was in 1934.

All we really need is a Congressional sponsor.
the muffler analogy is a really good one. Will remember that next time I get those looks and questions.