Washington State silencer use bill (1016) to get a hearing.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ranb
Silent But Deadly

Washington State silencer use bill (1016) to get a hearing.

Post by ranb »

I just got off the phone with Representative Pedersen's aide. She says that bill 1016 will get a hearing in committee. This is farther than any silencer bill has gone before; the rest died without a hearing.

The hearing has not been scheduled yet; the session starts on 1/10/2011. The committee schedules should be out by next week some time. I plan on attending as long as it is takes place next week. I will be out of the state working from January 18 till the end of the month.

Unless there are other gun control bills scheduled for a hearing, it is not likely that 200 plus people will show up to observe or testify at the hearing as I saw a few years ago. If you plan on going, get there at least an hour before it is scheduled to start and sign up. Those that sign up are asked if they are pro or con on the bills being heard. Those that want to speak to the committee indicate so. From what I understand, it is first come first serve for those who want to speak. People get about 5 minutes to present their views. The last time I went to a Senate hearing on gun control bills, only about 10% of those showing up were for the bills (various bans), but they choose an equal number to speak on each side, pro and con.

I hope that those people speaking for both sides only stick to the facts and do not use emotional arguments. If I am not able to attend, I would like to speak to anyone here that is planning to go. I can supply data on the low number of silencer related crimes and letters from the WASPC and WACOPS on their positions. I can also prepare a fact sheet to give to the committee members.

I have been hearing that the bill is expected to pass the House, but we need to keep pushing. I have been writing more to Senators and also sent the Governor a letter. A member of Gregoire's staff when she was the AG tried to convince me that silencers were illegal in the entire USA. I hope to convince her that they are useful enough to be legal to use.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
LilBrave

Re: Washington State silencer use bill (1016) to get a heari

Post by LilBrave »

We need to keep after this...... Did the E-mail thing....
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

I hope it goes well.

The silencer use laws in WA need to change.
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

LilBrave wrote:We need to keep after this...... Did the E-mail thing....
E-mail is lots better than nothing, but letters in legal sized envelops are better, and face to face meetings are the best. My Reps, Haigh and Finn had NO INTEREST at all in supporting the bill, but after I met them, they are both sponsors. There is no telling who you are talking to when all you have is a letter. Meet a person in their office or at a social event and they can see (hopefully) that you are not a nut and that the bill is important.

I have found that I get many more replies to e-mails only after establishing contact via a letter in the mail, getting their reply via e-mail, then replying to that e-mail. It sounds silly, but that is the way it is.

With the session starting up soon, many of the Rep and Senators will be in Olympia and possibly far from their home districts. If meetings are hard to arrange due to distance, then a phone call can work well too. Write to them and say that you would like to arrange a time to call. Call the phone numbers on their website and talk to whatever aide answers the phone and request an appointment for a phone conversation. If you can, make notes about what to say as the conversation easily gets side tracked if they have questions. Be honest and qualify your answers (i.e., as far as I know..... Or I can find out for you..... Or based on my experience..... Etc).

Politics sucks, but gun control sucks more.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

The hearing will take place on Wednesday, 1/12/11. Agendas
Judiciary - 01/12/11 8:00 am
Full Committee
House Hearing Rm A
John L. O'Brien Building
Olympia, WA

Public Hearing:
HB 1032 - Modifying consumer protection act provisions. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1041 - Including correctional employees who have completed government-sponsored law enforcement firearms training to the lists of law enforcement personnel that are exempt from certain firearm restrictions. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1016 - Changing restrictions on firearm noise suppressors. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1017 - Mandating a twelve-hour impound hold on motor vehicles used by persons arrested for driving under the influence. (If measure is referred to committee.)
HB 1001 - Placing restrictions on pro se defendants when questioning witnesses. (If measure is referred to committee.)
There is only one other gun control bill on the list, and it eases restrictions as far as I can tell. I do not anticipate much of an anti-gun crowd showing up for this one.

I will be taking the morning (or whole day) off from work to attend. Anyone want to join me?

Ranb
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Good job ranb.

I would be impressed with any mfgs flying out to offer expert opinions. It couldn't hurt.
watcher
Senior Silent Operator

Post by watcher »

Ranb,
I will drive up from Oregon. Quite willing to give a viewpoint on an unrestricted adjacent state.
DemonLlama

Post by DemonLlama »

este wrote:Good job ranb.

I would be impressed with any mfgs flying out to offer expert opinions. It couldn't hurt.
Maybe someone should contact Gemtech about that. Boise ain't far. Who else is nearby?

Edit:
Gemtech, Idaho
Tactical Innovations, Idaho
QSM, Idaho
Silencerco, Utah
Ops inc, California
Surefire, California
DeGroat, New Mexico
AWC, Arizona

Those are the closest I could find.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

HTG and Tactical Solutions are in boise as well
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

If a mfgr showed up it would be great PR for the NFA crowd. Something like that would produce more sales than an expensive magazine ad ever would.

And to ranb, good luck brother! :wink:
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Maybe you could work on the Wyoming laws when your done there!!!
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

ranb, that is great work. Good job. You are a credit to the site and firearm owners.
-----
Ick
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Awesome work, sir. Good to see that the beginning stages of the legislative process still work. Obviously, they work very very very very very very slowly, but they still work. It's not completely shut down yet.
mike_0120
Silent But Deadly

Post by mike_0120 »

I'd not refer to it as a "silencer".

But great job!
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

There is supposed to be some sort of event happening on the 12th, Finn's aide thinks this might interfere with the hearing. I will post about any changes to the schedule.

Ranb
watcher
Senior Silent Operator

Post by watcher »

^^^^^^^^^^^

Ranb,
Is the meeting tomorrow still on?
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Yes, still on for Wednesday 0800. I will be there early at 0700 to sign up to speak to the committee.

Ranb
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

At least Warshington can own silencers. The state I grew up in still thinks suppressors are tools of assassins and poachers, :roll: Minniesoda. Despite the neighbors of Wisconsin and the Dakotas being ok with ownership. I'd come up to WA for the support but they dont recognize Oregons conceal carry permit and I dont want to be any where near the Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia metro area without protection. School'em kindly :D
watcher
Senior Silent Operator

Post by watcher »

psp7
Go to Vancouver and request a WA permit. The folks there are absolutely great and they will take your OR CHL as required safety/character documentation.
kc0myg
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kc0myg »

As all have said, hope this goes well. as a resident of MO, I know how much work goes into getting things changed.
GOOD LUCK
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

watcher, wow, thanks! All I need is my OR-DL and Conceal Carry Permit with how much $$$?
Jimmy_Jr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jimmy_Jr »

psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

jimmy, thanks, only $55. Its funny that WA has reciprocity with only states 2,000 miles away in the deep South :lol: Utah is the only state west of the Rockies. Geez, I thought Oregon and Warshington were bruthas.
Jimmy_Jr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jimmy_Jr »

You'd think so, but at least we can get WA non-resident CHLs.
watcher
Senior Silent Operator

Post by watcher »

Think about it - if they do it this way they both make $55,