Question for LEO's

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

NFA-Addict

Question for LEO's

Post by NFA-Addict »

My sheriff signs all the NFA Forms I've ever left for him to sign, no problem. I have a C&R they know about too. I've never spoke to him, it's a drop-it-off/get a phone call/and pick-it-up kind of deal. The last time I went in for fingerprinting, the guy knew who I was and didn't want my I.D. Since this is a fairly decent sized area (county population is 438,000), should I be paranoid about this? What is the typical Law Enforcement's outlook on this stuff? Are they at all concerned with someone who has a growing collection (since we jump through hoops to be legal)? I'm getting ready to with a few new form 4's, and I'm curious what the LE stance is. Also, are machine guns looked upon differently than suppressors?

Before I get barraged with "you should have used a trust" posts, I NEVER intended for this to go as far as it has. Also, unless I'm wrong Trust laws can change....you need to keep on top of things, is the way it was explained to me. Not a big issue, but something to keep in mind. And if something happens to me, the items can transfer straight to my wife on a form 5(?) with no tax. I just like owning this stuff, versus having a trust own it.
sgtsmmiii

Re: Question for LEO's

Post by sgtsmmiii »

You are "blessed".

Sounds like they have seen you enough to be comfortable with you.

I wouldn't worry.
Luther

Post by Luther »

Sounds Like You Have:
#1- A GOOD Sheriff
#2- You Have Made A GOOD Impression On Him And His Officers

Which By The Way Is GOOD For ALL Of The Class III Community !!!
FFL/SOT
"Walk Softly And Carry A BIG STICK"
Fastflt1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fastflt1 »

That's a really Kwik way to get it done.
Stay calm, stay strong, and have a backup plan.
NFA-Addict

Post by NFA-Addict »

sgtsmmiii wrote:You are "blessed".

Sounds like they have seen you enough to be comfortable with you.

I wouldn't worry.
Well, maybe the fingerprint tech has, anyway. :lol: It just seemed a little strange, as big as the population is, as many people as they run through there on a daily basis, and the time span between forms. They do definitely run background checks before signing for sure (which I expect).

I've never met or spoke with the sheriff. I think his outlook is that he is not giving permission or approval....he is simply fulfilling his end of the law by stating he knows of no reason that I would commit crimes or whatever with the stuff, and that I have nothing bad against me. I know people (I'm mainly speaking of the Left here) get some wrong perceptions of folks who like and collect firearms, I just don't want the local LE to get that perception of me. I've ended up with much more NFA stuff than I thought I would when I started with that 'first' can several years ago. :)

I was just curious how they (LEO's) typically look at it, and if a growing collection makes me look like a risk factor in their eyes. Thanks for the thoughts.

Luther wrote:Sounds Like You Have:
#1- A GOOD Sheriff
#2- You Have Made A GOOD Impression On Him And His Officers

Which By The Way Is GOOD For ALL Of The Class III Community !!!
He IS a good sheriff. He makes it pretty difficult for the bad guys around here. But, I don't know him or his deputies....

Fastflt1 wrote:That's a really Kwik way to get it done.
I'm a little confused by this....what do you mean?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

For the FP tech recognizing you... How many people show up for FP's MULTIPLE times?
How many people show up for FP's in the first place? There aren't that many reasons people need a FP card filled out in the first place and you are showing up a bunch of times. At that point, the FP tech guy might have asked why you keep showing up and found out, so that one little data point makes you memorable.

Or, maybe the tech has the hots for you.
NFA-Addict

Post by NFA-Addict »

chrismartin wrote: Or, maybe the tech has the hots for you.

:lol: I hope not! And yeah, I guess something like that *would* be more memorable than the ones they herd through who DON'T want their prints taken!
mac man
Elite Member

Post by mac man »

NFA-Addict wrote:
Fastflt1 wrote:That's a really Kwik way to get it done.
I'm a little confused by this....what do you mean?
Kwik=Kwikrnu is Leonard S Embody. Do a search on this guy he is the Radnor Lake Rambo.

" Leonard Embody(kwikrnu) is well-known for kicking hornets' nests and attention-mongering. Leonard/kwikrnu is the one who decided to thumb his nose by carrying a DRACO Ak pistol to Radnor Lake park and strutting about downtown Belle Meade with a cap-and-ball revolver. He's all about "rights" and nothing about "responsibiliies." His actions and attitudes have gotten him booted off virtually every gun board on the 'net. This is a troll best left unfed."
NFA-Addict

Post by NFA-Addict »

Sounds like someone I want nothing to do with. I'm still not sure what this has to do with me or this thread? Is it just a bad attempt at sarcasm, or is he cutting on me? Sorry if I'm slow.
mac man
Elite Member

Post by mac man »

NFA-Addict wrote:Sounds like someone I want nothing to do with. I'm still not sure what this has to do with me or this thread? Is it just a bad attempt at sarcasm, or is he cutting on me? Sorry if I'm slow.
Yep,stay away. Don't think anyone is cutting on you, just a joke. Kwik posts on this board. Probably the only board he has not been banned from.
Tram
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Tram »

NFA-Addict wrote:Sounds like someone I want nothing to do with. I'm still not sure what this has to do with me or this thread? Is it just a bad attempt at sarcasm, or is he cutting on me? Sorry if I'm slow.
You're not the only slow one.. How/why anyone would compare you to the shenanigans Leonard has pulled is beyond me..

Fwiw - your situation sounds much like mine.. Sheriff is the man and the fingerprint folks rock. I think they remember us is because we stand out - we are not being booked and come back voluntarily.. ;)

I'd like a better explanation to the Kwik comment as well.. I see nothing Kwikesque in what you've done..

What machine gun are you looking at? I really want either something 9mm or .22...
RamblinMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by RamblinMan »

chrismartin wrote:How many people show up for FP's in the first place?
The amount of people regularly subjected to FBI background checks for work is getting out of hand. All nurses in the state of Texas, for example.

Our local sheriff can be seen out at the gun range on many occasions, and his clerk will gladly give you his cell phone number if you wish to call him and set up an appointment to come see him for a signature. I think people respect him too much to waste his time.

No, I don't live in BFE. :lol:
[img]http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx167/RamblinManPB/General/TS.jpg[/img]
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I don't think you should worry that they know who you are. The individual officers and administrators may or may not have any opinion on your hobby. The fact that they haven't really made much over it spaeks well of their professionalism.

Not to speak for anybody else, but I read the "Kwik" comment as a rip on Kwikr-n-u not a rip on you. Maybe if he took a less confrontational aproach (as you have) he would be treated to a similarly smooth experience. That's what I got from it anyway.
Fastflt1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fastflt1 »

This being your first post with uncanny similarities to Kwikrnu's train of thought on the surface, appeared to be a reincarnation of himself.

My comment was simply a poke at Kwikrnu.

Welcome to the board NFA-Addict.
Stay calm, stay strong, and have a backup plan.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

The local police chief gets tickled pink when I show up with forms. I think he is more excited about it than I am
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Exhaust Fumes

Post by Exhaust Fumes »

The police in my area think that if people take the time and money to do stuff legally they won't be the ones breaking the law.