Silencerco Osprey vs SWR Octane-9 9mm Silencer? or ????

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

stmcelroy
Silent Operator

Silencerco Osprey vs SWR Octane-9 9mm Silencer? or ????

Post by stmcelroy »

Looking at getting my first center fire handgun silencer and had pretty much decided on the Osprey until seeing the new Octane-9.

I'm looking at a dry hearing safe can for use primarily on my Glock 19 & 17. I'd also like to keep the length as short as possible.

Currently I own a SWR Spectre that I use on a Browning Buckmark that does the job.

I'm not made of money, but have enough set aside to afford either of these, but also wouldn't mind spending less.

So is the Osprey a better choice, or should I save the $150 and get the SWR?

I know that know one has fired a Octane-9 yet, but figure it will perform similar to the Trident-9.

Appreciate any help.[;)]
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Silencerco Osprey vs SWR Octane-9 9mm Silencer? or ????

Post by Bowen1911 »

user servicable- get it.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
stmcelroy
Silent Operator

Post by stmcelroy »

Bowen1911 wrote:user servicable- get it.
Worth giving up a few decibels and longer?

I'm leaning this way, figure the savings almost pays for the stamp.
wi75
Silent But Deadly

Post by wi75 »

grabbing the popcorn on this one
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I cast bullets, so it would be worth it to me.

plus it would also look better on a AR 22 than a 22 can

I would get the HD version as well. I like stainless
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

If you only shoot 9, the Octane.

If you shoot 45 as well, I would do the Osprey45 with 9mm threaded pistons.

While I like the idea of serviceable, unless I use it on 22, I doubt I'll fill a can up with my shooting habits.
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

I would just wait until after shot and people have had some time to do tests on everything that's new. We have yet to hear from AAC or Silencerco, so they could still have a card up their sleeve.

It looks like the major is planning on doing some extensive tests on his entire inventory, so you should get some solid numbers on everything pretty soon. I'm from the school of thought being that if i'm about to buy something that's goin to be with me for life, it's goin to be the best of what's around at the time.
Last edited by GlocksInMySocks on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be an internet tough guy...
stmcelroy
Silent Operator

Post by stmcelroy »

GlocksInMySocks wrote:I would just wait until after shot and people have had some time to do tests on everything that's new. We have yet to hear from AAC or Silencerco, so they could still have a card up their sleeve.

It looks like the major is planning on doing some extensive tests on his entire inventory, so you should get some good numbers on everything pretty soon. I'm from the school of thought being that if i'm about to buy something that's goin to be with me for life, it's goin to be the best of what's around at the time.

That's probably a good idea, but i've got money burning a hole in my pocket.... :wink:
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

ha, I know the feeling. I've come very close to pulling the trigger on a few things this week
Don't be an internet tough guy...
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

GlocksInMySocks wrote:I would just wait until after shot and people have had some time to do tests on everything that's new. We have yet to hear from AAC or Silencerco, so they could still have a card up their sleeve.

It looks like the major is planning on doing some extensive tests on his entire inventory, so you should get some solid numbers on everything pretty soon. I'm from the school of thought being that if i'm about to buy something that's goin to be with me for life, it's goin to be the best of what's around at the time.
Agreed. It will be helpful to hear the MAJ weigh in on all of these new silencers.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
NFA-Addict

Post by NFA-Addict »

If we get any actual user reports on the Octane before June I'll be surprised. But I'd still jump straight on that Octane over the Osprey. That is one sweet can! I don't really need another 9mm can, but it will probably be the next thing I buy.
Theprofessor
Silent Operator

Post by Theprofessor »

If you cast your own lead, probably the Octane unless you can "dip" an Osprey and clean it how it is. Not sure bout that one.
If not, Osprey all the way. As an owner of a 45 Osprey, I cant be happier with my purchase. Also, I'm pretty sure you can send your Osprey back to Silencerco and have them rebuild it for a cheap price (not sure what that price is exactly) WITHOUT having to pay another tax stamp. That right there was a major selling point for me. If something ever happens to my Osprey and I need some parts replaced I wont have to pay a stamp or even worse wait for a stamp. Silencerco's customer service is top notch. It will take a LOT of FMJ rounds through that Osprey to start to impact the performance. Just my 2 cents.
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

I dont understand why anyone would sacrifice db reduction for user takedown abiltity on anything but the filthy 22 rimfire. Unless you intend to shoot 22 rimfire through your 9mm then its a no-brainer in getting the shorter and quieter Osprey. Even if you do fill up the Osprey with lead head 9mm I'm sure SilCo will take care of ya.
stmcelroy
Silent Operator

Post by stmcelroy »

psp7 wrote:I dont understand why anyone would sacrifice db reduction for user takedown abiltity on anything but the filthy 22 rimfire. Unless you intend to shoot 22 rimfire through your 9mm then its a no-brainer in getting the shorter and quieter Osprey. Even if you do fill up the Osprey with lead head 9mm I'm sure SilCo will take care of ya.
That's pretty much what I have decided. :mrgreen:
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

psp7 wrote:I dont understand why anyone would sacrifice db reduction for user takedown abiltity on anything but the filthy 22 rimfire. Unless you intend to shoot 22 rimfire through your 9mm then its a no-brainer in getting the shorter and quieter Osprey. Even if you do fill up the Osprey with lead head 9mm I'm sure SilCo will take care of ya.

38 special?
cast 9mm?

looks better in the handguard of a .22 AR?

For me (and this is me, not the whole buyers market), take-down-ability is IMPORTANT. I don't pay the extra premium price for the world's cleanest powders, and I cast to keep costs down even more (and to hope my babies have 3 eyes or something :shock: )
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
rugerglocker
Silent Operator

Post by rugerglocker »

Wrong. As others have mentioned, reloaders and boolit casters would very much appreciate a takedown center-fire can. Not to mention you can also shoot 22lr, ever notice all the threads about "jail-breaking" cans. From what I've heard 'Tits has shown regular (commercial/jacketed?) center-fire eventually dirties up a can to the point of losing your precious few dBs--if you give what he says any merit. I have a Trident, I wish I could take it apart for those reasons.

I think the Ideal can would be like a giant Silencerco SS sparrow (either 9mm or 45) or some sort of hybrid between that and the Osprey. I actually talked to a guy at a range here in UT about this. Said he works for Get Some (UT class 3 w/ ties to S-Co) and I think he basically blew me off saying something like "no one would want a can like that." Well I think there are plenty of people on here that would say otherwise, casters? 22lr shooters? people that like clean s--t?

You hear that Silencer Co? Make a giant SS Sparrow or an Osprey with clamshells! You already have the design, look @ all the people jumping up and down about the Octane because you can fuckin take it apart + SS!

Uff that was a long post, sry
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

What makes you think that the Octane is louder than the Osprey? Did I miss something somewhere? The Octane isn't even out there for the independents to test and compare yet (I asked Bryon about the performance, and he said he hasn't even shot one yet), and you CAN'T compare readings from different manufacturers 'cause there are way too many variables involved for that to be an accurate indicator. Knowing first hand the reputation and quality that SWR puts out, I'll be surprised if the Octane loses in a side by side test, especially with the proven performance of their Trident, and I don't think they would release a new can without trimming a few dB's in the process. With all of that being said, I'm not dissing Silencerco or the Osprey...in actual use the difference between them is probably minimal. Most likely anyone would be happy with either can's performance.

ETA: I just saw the dB numbers for the Octane in the other thread. I don't know where they fall in with the Trident or the Osprey, maybe I spoke too soon. I still say for meaningful results, the testing needs to be done at the same time and conditions. And I still say that either way, the differences will be negligible, so it boils down more to taste and features than numbers. Also remember, the tone makes more of a difference in perceived volume than the numbers sometimes.
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

Its highly unlikely the Octane is quieter than the Osprey. When you design a can to be taken apart you generally sacrifice a few DBs due to the loosened tolerances to being able to take it apart when dirty. Unless the Octane is another typical SWR or AAC super long silo silencer then maybe it will be as quiet as the squat 9mm Osprey. As for needing take down ability for a centerfire cartridge I think its not needed unless you're a cheapskate :roll: and buy filthy powder, dirty ammo or like mentioned you use your 22 rimfire through it.
rugerglocker
Silent Operator

Post by rugerglocker »

psp7 wrote:Its highly unlikely the Octane is quieter than the Osprey. When you design a can to be taken apart you generally sacrifice a few DBs due to the loosened tolerances to being able to take it apart when dirty. Unless the Octane is another typical SWR or AAC super long silo silencer then maybe it will be as quiet as the squat 9mm Osprey. As for needing take down ability for a centerfire cartridge I think its not needed unless you're a cheapskate :roll: and buy filthy powder, dirty ammo or like mentioned you use your 22 rimfire through it.
Obviously you don't roll your own.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

rugerglocker wrote:
psp7 wrote:Its highly unlikely the Octane is quieter than the Osprey. When you design a can to be taken apart you generally sacrifice a few DBs due to the loosened tolerances to being able to take it apart when dirty. Unless the Octane is another typical SWR or AAC super long silo silencer then maybe it will be as quiet as the squat 9mm Osprey. As for needing take down ability for a centerfire cartridge I think its not needed unless you're a cheapskate :roll: and buy filthy powder, dirty ammo or like mentioned you use your 22 rimfire through it.
Obviously you don't roll your own.

its an elite club who make form 1 cans.... (assuming thats what you meant by rolling your own)

unless you mean reloading and casting, which again is an elite club

I'm glad to see I am a cheapskate, because I am a full time college student, so buying everything premium really isn't always in my interests, especially something disposable.

and manufacturers tend to listen to the market, and with the amount of jail broken cans, the market has spoken
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Well, we'll see. Like I said, either one is going to be respectable, so it doesn't matter a whole lot. As for "cheapskate", you don't even know what you're talking about there, and then coming from someone who says that trying to suppress a 5.56 or .308 is a useless waste of time and money. So, go ahead and roll your eyes. :lol: :roll:
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

rocko, Yes, If you want quiet then indeed a .223 or .308 is generally a waste of money given the $1,000 plus price tag, but I can see its benefit for the military though. Nothing quiet about a supersonic crack for hunting :lol: . As for reloading your own 9mm its hardly a win unless you do alot of shooting, its not like the benefit of reloading a 44 or 45. If you intend to save money on a lesser takedown silencer then you probably dont shoot alot given the budget mindedness in selecting a product that is a long term investment. 9mm ammo is relatively cheap at $9-13 a box of 50. You can spin it any way you want but I honestly dont see a benefit to sacrificing a few DBs for being able to take apart a 9mm suppressor made for a generally clean shooting centerfire cartridge. Its more of marketing than anything else. Most likely a spin off from the 22 rimfire demand for a take down which is actually well deserved and needed. I see AAC is now offering takedown on the Tirant too. It will be interesting if they claim it will be equally quiet as the sealed original version and what the tests reflect.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

can you stand by a meter and tell the difference of 2 decibels on an impulse noise?
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

These unnecessary centerfire cartridge take-down cans will begin an incessant headache in warranty issues for the manufacturers with customers having problems with assembly and fit :( Fixing a nonexistant issue by listening to what people think they need by whats being repeated in small circles :lol:
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

its not a "this is the most logical thing we can think of because we assume the end user is a moron" business, but a "will this make us more money" type of business
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can