SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: YHM Phantom 'Maintenance and Cleaning'
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:53 am 
Silent Operator

Picked up my 1st suppressor last week. Gave it a thorough workout this weekend with probably 300 rounds of .22 rimfire. It is the Phantom in 5.56, but I have several mounts and tried it on several .22 rifles and pistols. The pistols were amazingly quiet and the rifles were pretty quiet too. I tried different combos of ammo and guns and really am excited about these. I have several others waiting on Form 4 approval now and they should be here in a few weeks. My question:

Since I can't take the Phantom apart, what do I need to do regularly or periodically to maintain and clean it. I have sprayed it out with 'gunscrubber' and then sprayed it out with rem oil or the like. Anything else I should be aware of? The others that I have coming I will be able to take apart.

MIne is the stainless Phantom.

Thanks

Last edited by gr8smiles on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: YHM Phantom 'Maintenance and Cleaning'
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:12 pm 

I have a stainless Phantom in 7.62 and around 1000 rounds of 5.56 and .308 rounds through it. I have soaked it with Hoppes No. 9 (plugging the ends with rubber stoppers) overnight once and then drained and blew it out with compressed air. Very little material came out - the solvent was barely discolored.

My Mite can for my 22's can be disassembled, though, and within 100 rounds it is a mess and is difficult to unscrew. Just as with the actions, 22 rimfire ammo is obviously much dirtier than centerfire, and you get a lot of lead spatter in the can (my Class III dealer "welded" his Mite closed by not cleaning it, and when he sent it to YHM it weighed 7 ounces, as compared to the original 3 ounces). My experience with gun scrubber is that it does not remove the lead or even all the powder residue. If I wipe the are with Hoppes after using gun scrubber I still get more residue off.

I would be reluctant to shoot 22 rimfire through a can that you could not disassemble, but would think that soaking the can overnight with a reliable solvent and blowing it out with compressed air would be effective.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:14 pm 
Elite Member

As I understand things, the gunscrubber should help clean the carbon out, but not lead buildup. The 22 rimfire stuff will give you an internal lead buildup that is a subject of great discussion relative how to remove such buildup from sealed cans. I have shot a few 22 rimfires through my 7.62 YHM, always followed by a bunch of centerfire rounds. I suspect one would have to shoot several thousand rounds of rimfire through any can before degredation of performance is noticed. As a note though, the vaporized lead buildup seems to be a mechanical removal exercise.

For the right amount of money, I suspect YHM will take the can apart and clean out any lead buildup for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:06 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Use "the dip." Just do a search and lots of info will come up.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:15 am 
Silent But Deadly

One guy I know runs copper plated 22LR thru his 556 can. He says it helps reduce the lead issue with 22 LR ammo.

Why not just get a 22 LR can?
They weigh a lot less that the sealed centerfire cans. They can be cleaned out too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:39 am 
Silent But Deadly

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66687

same discussion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 pm 
Elite Member

every few hundred rounds of .22lr dump a couple of mag of .223 through it and it will blow/brake out all the .22 crap

poulan10REMOVETHIS@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:24 pm 
Silent Operator

Am I doing something wrong, when I search 'dip'....nothing comes up???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:00 pm 
Silent But Deadly

gr8smiles wrote:
Am I doing something wrong, when I search 'dip'....nothing comes up???

search "peroxide"

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end......